New Blog Devoted To Carriers Long Gone

Discussion in 'Trucking Boneyard Discussion' started by iwahstore, Jan 24, 2016.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

Yep, sure did, your dad was one of the best dispatchers in Charl.
    We hated to see him transfered out.
    Was sorry to hear about your loss years ago.
    Donnie,,I remember once we were on strike, your dad was sitting outside the dispatch office
    no shirt, with a piece of tin to reflect the sun on his face.
    One of the guys snapped his picture and threatened to show the big boss.
    We had fun and good times in those days, he was a good friend and easy to work with.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer They Call Me CF, Eh

If Canadian LTL history is interesting, allow me to share some stuff I found.

Smith Transport, fondly remembered by folks with gray hair or no hair as the heartbeat of Highway 401. They got their start in Oshawa, hauling scrap, and expanded from there. Smith created Highland Transport as their full load division in the early 1960's, and both were purchased by Canadian Pacific to augment their CP Express trucking division. Smith, merged with CP Express, became CP Express & Transport. Highland and CPET were subsequently sold independently of one another to their management. CPET became Inter-Link, whom Viking Freight drivers might remember as their Canadian partner in the early 1990's before they went under.

Continued...

3. Canadian Flyer

Direct--Winters Transport was the first JIT LTL carriers to run between Toronto and Montreal. They ran GMC Twin Six gassers many years ago and owned the Toronto Terminal Warehouse on Queen's Quay where ships offloaded their cargo. By the 1970's containers had taken ships elsewhere and Toronto was in the process of redeveloping it's industrial park into an entertainment district. Direct sold the Terminal to the city, who renovated it into the Queen's Quay Terminal mall, and bought Interport Sufferance Terminal at Dixie Road and the 401 in Mississauga. After adding to the terminal, they sold it to Canadian Freightways, who served Consolidated there, and moved to a nearby terminal.

Called Direct System after being bought by a US company, they were subsequently purchased by Federal Industries to expand the eastern footprint of their recent LTL acquisition...

4. Canadian Flyer

Motorways. This Western powerhouse of it's time even had terminals in St. Paul and Minneapolis, yet got it's start from a small moving company in Hamilton, Ontario. The company that became Motorways was a series of acquisitions that were eventually consolidated into three divisions. Motorways Quebec, Motorways Ontario and Motorways West.

Motorways was bought by Federal Industries to get into the lucrative transportation market. They subsequently purchased Direct System and Kingsway Transport to augment Motorways.

Unfortunately, this wasn't meant to be. Motorways Ontario and Quebec, along with the former assets of Direct System, were effectively given to Kingsway Transport and Consolidated Fastfrate, a related company. Kingsway's Western assets, along with a number of brokers, were given to Motorways. Freight was interchanged in Thunder Bay. By 1992 Federal was bleeding money and sold Kingsway Transport to Transport Cabano. The following year, Motorways was closed and the remaining assets given to Consolidated Fastfrate, who bought themselves from Federal and took Inter-Link's place as CP's partner.

Both Kingsway Transport and Consolidated Fastfrate live on today, a remnant of the heyday of Canadian LTL.