TForce | New Changes Comming Next Month At Ups Freight

They don't require us to wear the vests at our term. Only when we go east. Don't ask me why.
We wear them while working in the yard outside of the yellow painted hopscotch squares and arrows.
Than we whip them off when we get on the road.

The safety vests are light enough,so my TM has all of use at my terminal wear them while we are on company property.
We put them on at the start of our shift.
Then take them off after we are out of our gate.
After our last stop,or when we are dropping our trailers we put them on untill we clock out.

They do make you a lot more visable,maybe you all will think this is overkill of the vest rule.
But better to be visable to someone driving around you,then to be obscured when a driver doesn't have their mind totally on what they are doing,and you become yard kill.

Well I'm one safety trainer that trys to set the best example by doing everything UPS wants.
Than you set a very good example for all to follow. Wish you were our Saftey Trainer and not our part time safety trainer.

But I for one wouldn't want to be the one thats not doing something if one of these officials happens to be watching.
Ditto on getting caught by OSHA and being used as an example. Getting caught by management is just as painful. I know a few drivers that failed they were not disciplined (yet) just advised to be aware and practice safety. They were followed as stated in our saftey meeting (so we got the heads up notice) They failed the 3 points of contact, idling the tractor while unattended and not tooting the horn prior to backing.

I know people come to our docks for customer pickups,and deliveries.
So you may never know when an OHSA official is at your place.
Its better that we just get in the habit of getting it right,than to be caught with our fingers in the cookie jar,so to speak!
I'm sure there will be the so called "Secret Shoppers" making visits. Sadly most terminals would fail. At least the ones I've trucked through.

I know I have a different work ethic then most workers.
I do everything in my life including work to please God.

So when someone is writting my paycheck,and they want something the way they want it.
I'll do as I'm told,as long as it isn't unsafe,or ilegal.

I even discussed the crazyness of some of our new yard rules with the head of safety.

The answer I got back was its out of our hands,do what UPS wants so OHSA doesn't slam them with this hefty fine,and keep everyone safe.

I agree 100% :1036316054:
This is the up and coming LTL company and I feel this is the place to be.
I also feel sorry for the ones that quit. The rules are simple, plain and for our own good. There is absolutely nothing hard about the job.
I can't wait for the UPS hammer to hit the old rusty Overnite nail. :hide:

Careful what you wish for! You might get more than you bargain for.

Who's that, Logan?

If it is part of their job, they should have a new title and/or be promoted to management because currently their titles are just safety TRAINERS....which means they train people.

Yes, and I agree, but that came from Logan's mouth.... We are all his safety children.:hysterical: :smilie_132:

I was just discussing the fact that us UPS Freight safety trainers are either just drivers with a special title.

or we are between management,and drivers.
We have the power to pass on our observations to our TM's,the fact that any of our co-workers are being an assest,or liabilty to the company.
We are also the first step in the drivers hiring process.

Its our judgment if a new hire canidate is going to be safe,as well as have a good attitude to either be good,or bad for our company.

We also have to address all the safety issues that UPS has put on us.

My biggest grip with all of this extra responsibilty we only get paid drivers pay.
Where all of my co-workers don't have half the hassel I have,yet we all get the same pay.
Now I ask you whats wrong with this picture?

I now my terminal will have a very hard time replacing me when I decide to retire.

I found this a bit odd and didn;t see the logic behind it:

1. Road Drivers getting paid his 300.00 a day run to train 10 hours.
2. City Drivers getting paid hourly to train 10 hours.

One city driver safety dude is the biggest slacker, he does not follow any safety procedures when he thinks no one is looking. (I have observed him) Idling tractor, no vest, no 3 points of contact, jumping off dock, etc.

I have even seen him on the street creating a billboard by tailgating cars.

I know he witnesses safety violations being done by his buddies, yet he does not say a damn thing, he only picks on the newer drivers.
This guy has no business being a safety trainer if he can't lead by example. Oh well.

Does everyone carry their Space and Visibilty cheat sheet with them?

I was just discussing the fact that us UPS Freight safety trainers are either just drivers with a special title.

We have the power to pass on our observations to our TM's,the fact that any of our co-workers are being an assest,or liabilty to the company.

Its our judgment if a new hire canidate is going to be safe,as well as have a good attitude to either be good,or bad for our company.

My biggest grip with all of this extra responsibilty we only get paid drivers pay.
Where all of my co-workers don't have half the hassel I have,yet we all get the same pay.

I now my terminal will have a very hard time replacing me when I decide to retire.

They should take the driver/"trainer" out of the hiring process. That would be fair to the prospective driver, and would fix the pay situation for the "trainer"

Everyone is replaceable, Apo. Very hard time might be an exaggeration.

One city driver safety dude is the biggest slacker, he does not follow any safety procedures when he thinks no one is looking. (I have observed him) Idling tractor, no vest, no 3 points of contact, jumping off dock, etc.

I know he witnesses safety violations being done by his buddies, yet he does not say a damn thing, he only picks on the newer drivers.
This guy has no business being a safety trainer if he can't lead by example. Oh well.

The safety program is a joke. It does not matter what kind of driver you are. They just need someone to fill the slot and go through the motions. And that is as far as it go's.

Im curious-- what terminal are you out of?

I'm not saying I can't be easy to be replaced because I'm some super trucker.
My reason for posting this statement is that nobody wants the extra responsibilties I have as a trainer,with no more money then just being a driver.

Yes I've been granted the power to over see the hiring process.
When a prospective canidate is concidered they have to go out on the street with me while I observe their driving skills,and attitude about allowing other drivers around them to take the right of way,even if its ours.

Yes this is the first step in getting hired at my terminal,if you can't pass my test.
Your done,there is no more steps to go on our driver roster.

Thanks for appling,sorry we can't use you at this time.
Please come back,and try again after you gain more driving experience.

Its my complete responsibilty to say if someone is a future asset,or could be a liability to work for UPS Freight.

This is only one area that I'm more then a driver,and just under the management.

So you see this is a class that should have more pay per hour then a driver,that doesn't have these extra duties.

No other drivers at my terminal wants anything to do with being a UPS Freight driver trainer.
This is the reason for me being very hard to be replaced!

I'm not saying I can't be easy to be replaced because I'm some super trucker.
My reason for posting this statement is that nobody wants the extra responsibilties I have as a trainer,with no more money then just being a driver.

Yes I've been granted the power to over see the hiring process.
When a prospective canidate is concidered they have to go out on the street with me while I observe their driving skills,and attitude about allowing other drivers around them to take the right of way,even if its ours.

Yes this is the first step in getting hired at my terminal,if you can't pass my test.
Your done,there is no more steps to go on our driver roster.

Thanks for appling,sorry we can't use you at this time.
Please come back,and try again after you gain more driving experience.

Its my complete responsibilty to say if someone is a future asset,or could be a liability to work for UPS Freight.

This is only one area that I'm more then a driver,and just under the management.

So you see this is a class that should have more pay per hour then a driver,that doesn't have these extra duties.

No other drivers at my terminal wants anything to do with being a UPS Freight driver trainer.
This is the reason for me being very hard to be replaced!

Did you not say you had no choice in accepting this BS duty?

If you had no choice, then it could also be forced on some other sucker who is afraid to say no....thereby still making you VERY replaceable.

As far as your extra duties and pay, are you
not on the clock while performing these duties?

Apo, to awnser your question . If we were on the brownioes side this is a MGNT. position and is rated with pay for his or her duties, at UPSF we can make the same job and combine it with other duties and save $ on the extra position.

Yes sir I'm getting my drivers pay for evaluating the driving skills of new hire canidates,teaching the smith system,and Diad,as well as all other UPS Freight operations in the 5 day ride along with a newbie.

I'm also getting my drivers pay for the one day accident follow up.

So your point being GLAD TO BE UPSF thats enough pay,what more do you expect you greedy raskel?

Well then may be you are right my co-worker.
Please disregard all my past whinning.

But before I leave this issue I just want to add.
When I'm doing the one day accident follow up,and the 5 day training,I'm on my route.

I'm responsible for making all my deliveries,and pickups,while I'm directing all the new hires so far,none of them know my route.
I have to let them know far enough ahead,what streets to turn onto,as well as how to handle the freight,and get along with our customers.

I personally think thats a tall order for just drivers pay?
Oh my here I go whinning again.
Sorry about that.
Yes as well to the fact I was forced into this safety training program,as far as someone else at my terminal being forced,I can only say good luck!

I'm responsible for making all my deliveries,and pickups,while I'm directing all the new hires so far,none of them know my route.
I have to let them know far enough ahead,what streets to turn onto,as well as how to handle the freight,and get along with our customers.

Geez Apo, that sounds like it sucks.....I mean you can't nap and have them take care of the directions too!!! :hysterical:

Yeah hugnlug its a real killer to get my run done and also teach the fine points of becoming one of UPS's finest.
When we arrive at a customer,and the guy just stays seated, I go in and make my delivery,while he has a smoke,or yacks to someone on his cell phone.
Whats up with this picture?
If I waited for him to come with me,I'd never get my route done.

Every now,and then they will ask me if I need them to help out?
So I say sure,then when we go to the dock he stands there watching me open the dock door then my trailer door get my pallet jack,and ask my customer where they want their freight.
All the time I'm telling him to do what the customer asks of us.
We are UPS,and if they get mad at us,they will have a bad attitude about UPS.

Although as the day winds down sometimes they come with me to open my trailer door get my jack,and pull the freight off.

So I've got to give them that,its so nice of them to help out this old guy,toward the end of the day,when he notices I'm starting to show signs of getting tired,or whatever.

This is the life of a UPS Freight city driver safety trainer.
Just grin,and bear it driver!