TForce | New Changes Comming Next Month At Ups Freight

I trained quite a few drivers in my time. Never got any kind of pay increase for the training just an easier work day.
Dispatcher new I had a trainee and would adjust my workload accordingly, otherwise they would end up with service failures and missed pick-ups.
If I was heavy in deliveries, they pawned off my run to another driver who could be more productive so I could concentrate on training our future.
I would keep in contact with my dispatcher and if training was going pretty good, I would ask for more pick-ups, otherwise
pick-ups were light because of the training.

While I train, training becomes primary and my overall run becomes secondary. Absolutely no trainee would be the slip seat driver, he/she is gonna get dirty, sweaty and quite possibly pissed at the trials and tribulations of being a city driver or linehaul driver. They do the actual paperwork as I coach them. Only time I would cut them slack is if they got into a dangerous situation and safety was at stake.
In some ways, they become a product of your teachings and to teach them incorrectly brings more negative than good.

When all was said and done, the customer was satisfied, driver was better trained and my workload was a total cake walk, also got a free lunch for everyday I trained.

That sounds like a good deal Dockworker.
Were you a trainer for UPS Freight?

Yes I have them do the Diad,and I do the paper work for the first two days.
On the third day they get to do the Diad,and paper work.
We either carry our lunch,or pay for our own.
Untill the last day when I'm just there to observe all their driving skills learned in the smith system,and every thing else they will be doing when they are out on their own.
Then I have to turn in a written report of their progress.
They can get poor marks if they weren't paying attention.
But theres no failing grade.

Also the last day I always stop for a good meal,and pick up the tab for both of us.

As far as me depending on them to help,me do my route.
I no can do, I've got to do what I've got to do to take care of all my customers that have trusted me to take very good care of their shipping needs the 6 years I've had this route.
If the driver helps or not I still feel the need to make my customers happy.
Although usually the last day or two the newbie will give me a hand when I need help.

That sounds like a good deal Dockworker.
Were you a trainer for UPS Freight?

They can get poor marks if they weren't paying attention.
But theres no failing grade.

Also the last day I always stop for a good meal,and pick up the tab for both of us.

As far as me depending on them to help,me do my route.
I no can do, I've got to do what I've got to do to take care of all my customers that have trusted me to take very good care of their shipping needs the 6 years I've had this route.
If the driver helps or not I still feel the need to make my customers happy.
Although usually the last day or two the newbie will give me a hand when I need help.

Never been a driver trainer for UPSF...yet. I would like to try it.

I know your dedicated in your training and to your customers, but feel dispatch should allow for a bit of non-productive hours due to the training and allow some help in your area.

While I trained, I would be talking to the trainee both personal and work related. It helped ease their minds off the nervousness which resulted in gear scratching and overly compensating on many things.
I would quiz them on AGKLM and other things, while they drove. One time, because he became so frickin nervous, a trainee told me to shut up. We both looked at each other and busted out laughing. From that point on the ice was broken and he became an asset to his company.

I trained because I enjoyed it, if my dispatcher expected me to run my normal run on heavy days while training, we would have butt heads. I made it known to my TM that taking a trainee and providing quality training requires a lighter work load.
He agreed and thats how we got everyone satisfied. (Terminal, customer and trainee)

Yes I do talk about old driving experiences I've had in my long trucking career.
I'm always reasuring them that I've been a trucker going into my 45th year,and that I do stuff without giving it much thought.
But everything in life comes by experience.
And yeah I do find myself preaching to them as well.
I feel that being an Apostolic is the best life.
But I'm very careful about shoving to much of my personal life on them.
I just want them to feel comfortable learning to be on the UPS elite team,and theres nothing about my presents that should make them feel up tight.
I'm very easy going,but I do try very hard to steer them away from having a negative attitude toward anything.

I think its better to look for the bright side of everything.

I say make a list of everything thats good,and bad in your life,then see what is the biggest list.
A little home work from their UPS Freight teacher,can't hurt.

If you don't let him make the pickups or the deliveries then all you are showing him is the route. and somepaper work, why do you need more pay for that Heck If I got paid for soemeone to ride with me and do some paperwork I wouldn't exspect to get anymore money

I'm the safety/driver trainer at my barn and when we are doing the mentoring part, I do the driving, they have their cdl and got the job, so they know how to drive. It's one day doing the paperwork, one on the diad, third doing both, and the last two doing it all,(but the driving). It sounds easy for those not doing it, but it can be a major headache at times. It would be great if we could get more people involved but I understand whe they don't. I know when they are ready to go by themselves, they understand all that is expected.

I'm the safety/driver trainer at my barn and when we are doing the mentoring part, I do the driving, they have their cdl and got the job, so they know how to drive. It's one day doing the paperwork, one on the diad, third doing both, and the last two doing it all,(but the driving). It sounds easy for those not doing it, but it can be a major headache at times. It would be great if we could get more people involved but I understand whe they don't. I know when they are ready to go by themselves, they understand all that is expected.

You never let them drive? I always let my trainees drive to get accustomed to the equipment. They did everything under my supervision so when we unleashed them on their own they already had the schematics of driving our equipment, finding the customer and performing the delivery or pick-up. (Time Management)
They could then hone those skills to become more efficient.
If anyone was going to have a cake walk day from driving it was going to be me!

I'm sure everyone has their own way of training that works for their barn.

I tried letting them drive once, and it just takes so long. Besides, with the equiptment we have, you can't get used to one more than the other, day to day. They will have a differnent truck each day. NO kidding. We are down about 12 tractors, so we rely on rentals, sick calls and vacations. Plus, I know where I am going, so I am able to keep my 12 to 15 + p/u without BB's, or missed p/u's.
One thing I have noticed, is that the younger guys can't handle a map book that well, they all have to have hand held gps's. Don't know if it is a generational thing or just a laziness thing, but it takes longer with a gps, and I don't have the patience for that. I saw how they drive when they did the road test, so driving isn't the issue.
I have them do the freight handleing also because I have to do the safe work methods evaluation as well, and I do that over 2 day's.
But, we are not as far along as the east coast on all our safety stuff yet, work in progress.

I tried letting them drive once, and it just takes so long. Besides, with the equiptment we have, you can't get used to one more than the other, day to day. They will have a differnent truck each day. NO kidding. We are down about 12 tractors, so we rely on rentals, sick calls and vacations. Plus, I know where I am going, so I am able to keep my 12 to 15 + p/u without BB's, or missed p/u's.
One thing I have noticed, is that the younger guys can't handle a map book that well, they all have to have hand held gps's. Don't know if it is a generational thing or just a laziness thing, but it takes longer with a gps, and I don't have the patience for that. I saw how they drive when they did the road test, so driving isn't the issue.
I have them do the freight handleing also because I have to do the safe work methods evaluation as well, and I do that over 2 day's.
But, we are not as far along as the east coast on all our safety stuff yet, work in progress.
I agree with your method;all those involved {trainers} should take note...you get your route done & new hire gets practical experience for his new duties........

Well I agree, the new driver does it all, including the driving, you are in the army now grab your ankles and hold on, from time to time I have given classes on how to assume the position when dispatch calls ( safely of coarse, do not want to throw out your back). LOL.

I feel for someone to learn the job, they must do the job, and it certainly pertains to driving. This way I get a feel of thier driving ability and critique them when necessary. Being a safety trainer also includes teaching someone the smith system, does it not?

I feel for someone to learn the job, they must do the job, and it certainly pertains to driving. This way I get a feel of thier driving ability and critique them when necessary. Being a safety trainer also includes teaching someone the smith system, does it not?

Big Ole 10-4! I believe the newbie driver needs to get into the UPSF rhythm. As unbearable and slow as their driving skills might be, thats part of the training as a trainer.
Again, dispatch needs to know you are training and adjust accordingly to better service the customer and train the employee.

Another Big ole 10-4!... on the Smith System! If you don't let the trainee drive because he is slower than molasses, how can you effectively critique his driving skills using the Smith System? Just because he/she might hit a homerun with it on the first few drives doesn't mean he/she is good to go.
He/she needs to perform the Smith System on a consistent daily basis and driving will present many issues he can use his Smith Sytem training on. Put them in the pressure cooker and see if signs of "Road Rage" crops up. Thats when you can evaluate if your book work training is paying off.

Some examples that can crop up during the day:
*Trying to get to a pick-up and beat the close time will definitely cause one to speed and become unsafe.
*Driving through rush hour can yield tailgating, driving in a cluster and being cutoff.
*Driving through parking lots, tight car lined streets can yield the dreaded suprise "Door opening" or person "Darting in between cars"
......Too much to list....

STALE LIGHT, POINT OF DECISION, DIRTY LEFT DIRTY RIGHT DIRTY LEFT CLEAN LEFT DIRTY RIGHT CLEAN THIS AND THAT! :biglaugh: It just frickin works.

Big Ole 10-4! I believe the newbie driver needs to get into the UPSF rhythm. As unbearable and slow as their driving skills might be, thats part of the training as a trainer.
Again, dispatch needs to know you are training and adjust accordingly to better service the customer and train the employee.

Another Big ole 10-4!... on the Smith System! If you don't let the trainee drive because he is slower than molasses, how can you effectively critique his driving skills using the Smith System? Just because he/she might hit a homerun with it on the first few drives doesn't mean he/she is good to go.
He/she needs to perform the Smith System on a consistent daily basis and driving will present many issues he can use his Smith Sytem training on. Put them in the pressure cooker and see if signs of "Road Rage" crops up. Thats when you can evaluate if your book work training is paying off.

Some examples that can crop up during the day:
*Trying to get to a pick-up and beat the close time will definitely cause one to speed and become unsafe.
*Driving through rush hour can yield tailgating, driving in a cluster and being cutoff.
*Driving through parking lots, tight car lined streets can yield the dreaded suprise "Door opening" or person "Darting in between cars"
......Too much to list....

STALE LIGHT, POINT OF DECISION, DIRTY LEFT DIRTY RIGHT DIRTY LEFT CLEAN LEFT DIRTY RIGHT CLEAN THIS AND THAT! :biglaugh: It just frickin works.

10-4 it does. I consider it pretty amazing , particularly if you take the chip off of your shoulder, and take it under consideration in your own driving ability , it does work and does pay off, besides we will be having text messaging on the DIAD, if you seem to think you are running late , send a message have dispatch give them a call, fastest way to gaurantee a pickup if you are running late, if dispatch does not call them, it is out of your hands, but be safe.:1036316054:

I don't let anything around me affect my driving.

I fully expect stupid moves, like cut offs--and slamming on brakes, by the four wheelers. I adjust my following distance accordingly.

BUT-- there are so many variables in the city.

ONE THING to remember above all, is don't EVER drive your truck mad.. The dings from the DIAD, and cars cutting you off, will do it to you..

stay calm, and just do what you can-- SAFELY.

I fully expect stupid moves, like cut offs--and slamming on brakes, by the four wheelers. I adjust my following distance accordingly.

ONE THING to remember above all, is don't EVER drive your truck mad.. The dings from the DIAD, and cars cutting you off, will do it to you..

You sir are a "Defensive Driver".
A Smith System poster child!:1036316054: :smilie_132:

10-4 on the cowbells ringing.:biglaugh:

And truer words was never spoken, but there are alot 0f drivers feel they already know how to drive and will not try learning to improve thier skills, essentially saying they are the best thing they have ever seen. But truer words was never spoken.

Well diverman,and Long days,the only question I have for you two is.
How does a newbie learn how to drive when they are just your passanger?

When future drivers pay their money to go to driving schools the only way they can learn is to drive the truck.
Why would it be any different when we trainers are teaching the Smith System,Diads,paper work,and all other aspects of being a good UPS Freight driver?

They are after all being hired to drive,and its up to us trainers to do our best,teaching how UPS wants them to perform their normal duties.

My TM,and I both feel let down when a newbie has an accident,a short time after they go on their own.
He feels bad because he gave them a chance to work here.
I feel bad because I tryed by best to teach them the right way of doing everything.

So I just can't go along with your training methods of allowing them to sit while you do the driving?

Well Apo, I am not sure how things are in the east but I am required to have a week in house training which includes a whole day dedicated to the smith system, No production work allowed during this training. I go out with a pup, demonstrate what I expect and spend usually about 2 hours just driving around untill I feel comfortable with their driving abilities. All people that make it to this point have their cdl, which to me they have proven they can drive a truck. The second week of training is the mentoring program that is used to teach hands on paperwork, diad and freight handleing. I have trained 15 people so far, and glad to report not one accident or injury so far. I'd like to think I had some help with that, but, most of the credit goes to the new hires and there ability to drive and work safe. I try to let them know as much as I can the first week so they do not feel as rushed and stressed when they go out on their own.

I get only 5 days.
four to teach everything,the last day to sit,and observe what they've learned,without teaching anything else.

Then I have to submit a report to my TM with a copy going to the UPS Feight safety department,and one for their personal file.

When it was just the Smith System it wasn't hard to put that into four days.
But now its the Diad,as well as all our paper work,cube sheets,tallys,DR's.
Its a tall order to cram into four days.

The last day I make sure we stop some place for a good lunch,and I buy for a reward for them learning what they can.

When I went to school for the safety trainer certification training,I'm sure they taught us that we had the new hire to drive our route while I taught them everything.
On an accident follow up they drove their route,and I rode along helping them with everying,as well as evaluating their driving skills,than hand in a report on how they did,with any recommendation for improvements,or weak areas they needed practise in.

Maybe your right about us doing things different in the east?

Ya know, I think it should be the same company wide, but I am not that naive to know otherwise. The new guys have 2 weeks of training, 1 classroom, 1 mentoring(drivealong) The classroom goes over all the outdated video's, all paperwork, accessorial charges, do's and don'ts of delivering and p/u's, diads, hazmat, safe work methods, space and visibility, forklift, yard control, employee handbook/policybook, introductions, and anything else I can think of inbetween all of the above. I also go to a nice lunch of friday's of classroom, although not my treat, but a break from space and vis.
The second week is how I explained earlier. so, yes it is alot extra, but I like doing it, and the newbies usually appreciate it, although usually overwhelmed, are also prepared when they hit the streets on their own.
The accident followup is also a day of space and vis, and injury follow up is usually only about 3 hours plus swm observations.
I am not required to show my tm anything, just the regional safety guy. My tm is starting to be really cool about stuff now, at first it was a pain, but he has started to come on board, I'm sure from pressure from higher ups, but it has gone well lately. The biggest problem lies in the more senior guys. Don't like being told to do things. You know, just changes. Slowly but surely getting there.
Would love to talk to you more on this Apo, maybe someday we can talk.
But, anyway, that is the way I was taught to do things.