Central Transport | new changes

beach bum

TB Lurker
Credits
hey now. just want to say i think all the changes being made right now could be a very positive thing in the long run.

cutting dock guys to part time 6hrs no benefits sounds like a good deal i don't agree what about theses guys families

outstanding beach bum -- outstanding...... no but seriously. if we were to continue on down the old path, we would be out of jobs in less then 18 months. i was told vitran was turned down for a 40 million dollar loan !! banks dont want to give loans to struggling trucking companies. eg. YRC.. SO THE CHANGES ARE NEEDED ..

Some people will get less do to the changes. myself being one of them. fluctuating start time will kill any over time for me. remain positive. were all working. decent health insurance. equipment is being upgraded as we type.. stay cool and hang in there. i feel the same frustration as everyone else does.

hey now. just want to say i think all the changes being made right now could be a very positive thing in the long run.
I think theses changes are long overdue, for to many years Vitran(PJAX) just sat by the side of the road and watched all the other companies modernize, while their accounting management leaders were trying to figure the best way to save a dollar, now unfortunately we step over hundred dollar bills to pick up a penny. and it has caught up with us. so while the changes hurt now hopefully in the long run we will be a better company for it.

Most employees need to wake up.vitran corporate doesn't gave a damn about their employees.this company is making lots of money,no matter what c. Keylon tells you other wise.their supply chain is raking in the dough.the ltl side revenue is up 20 million every quarter.they claim lost every year on the companies they buy. Look,another supply chain just opened in Washington st. And another in Kansas city third quarter this year.1500 pups just got purchased along with 900 trailers.now another 8 to 10 million on computers for employees.where the hell is the money coming from,simple,the employees.no raises for employees for almost 4years.a 5 percent pay cut,no retirement or profit sharing.and soaring health insurance that sucks. Mine is $97 a week. We also don't get o.t. Till after 45hours. Ask around about other ltl companies and see what they get.vitran is 40 percent below most companies on pay and even worst on benefits.do you really think its going to get better for us. R.gaetz it is,he's still getting a big fat bonus each year.if vitran is losing so much money,how can they stayed in business the last 5 years.watch as your pay gets even smaller in the next few months as you are made now to work the dock on top of driving also. I'm tired of giving up what little we do have to make vitran executives richer.im grateful to have a job for now but can't wait to get out of this place.im also sorry for the hardworking dockworkers who just got screwed by vitran.

i agree with you vijax they don't give a damn about us as a vitran driver we lost so much when they let pjax's run the show i really wish that they would start putting money back into our 401 i have lost just under 15k a years under pjaxs running the show hell ya don't get paid to pay respects to your loved ones who passes away 1 day not 3( took 2 days )but ol pjaxs helped theres out by giving them a extra personal day (took 1 from us )took 5hrs ot a week vitran was a decent place to work before this whole f innnn mess happened!!!!!!!!!!!!

these changes will only better the company. everytime they purchase something or make a mistake, they take it from the employees pockets. whether it be a company, computers, new bldg, equipment, ect... now with not passing a raise, they can use that money to purchase handheld tablets to track drivers and monitor them to push them so theirs no o.t. just wait til the tier system goes into effect, the senior drivers will lose when they cap the wage and they'll take that and dispense to the new hires to keep them around. and they'll do this without taking a penny out of their pockets. when are they going to streamline the corporate end of the company?

HI,
I am back-I am sure that Had Enough is soooo happy. Just to let you guys know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have been away from Vitran for a while now and am happily employed. Making more money working less hours, but there is no room for f-ng off like there was at Vitran..hand helds will weed out the idiots who milk the clock and make life easier for the ones who actually work. As I have always said-if the haters on here are so smart, why do nt you start your own company and take customers away from Vitran-or if you are that unhappy go get another job...the truth is that most of the haters are to freaking lazy to start their own company and noone will even think of hiring them so they are stuck at a company that they hate. Just think-soon Vitran will be good to work for again and you slackers will be out of a job because they will be able to hire decent employees.

I am glad the slackers will finally be delt with, I hope. The Vitran guys at Pjax terminals like ours, get stuck doing more switches after 10 or 11 hours. I want to go home they say oh I need the freight back or you do it better than .....,or some other left handed compliment. Make the later guys work later not the early guys work later. I still tell them this place is a sheet hole.

I for one miss my overtime, now being eating up by bad drivers. I have wanted computers for years, I do my job at the same time as shooting myself in the foot for not screwing off like others, so, some that make less per hour actually make more per week due to screwing the pooch. I don't mind working, but at least reward those of us that do the job we were hired to do. For years I only had per mile OTR jobs, now hourly, so pay me for the work I do new computers!!

I have been at Vitran long enough to have a little seniority but not long enough to have ever gotten a raise. The reason I am sticking around is because of the new President. I doubt this new guy left his 16 year long job as VP of Fed Ex freight without doing a lot of research on the viability of Vitran and having a lot of meetings with Canada about what tools and freedom he would have to make it work. Keylon gave up something at Fed Ex for the gamble on Vitran. That does not mean anything is certain, but he is taking a personal risk by coming over here. It doesn't matter if you are digging dinner out of a trash pile in Africa or some millionaire Capitalist Pig, losing a job is never a good plan.

I agree with the previous posters that these changes are needed. Vitran is in the stone age.

As for raises and employee appreciation...I doubt there will be any for quite some time. We may get a few cents here and there, but we will only get real raises when business picks up enough that we need more drivers, and right now linehaul is being "streamlined". That means more efficient and that means fewer drivers needed. Down sized baby. Vitran is replacing dock workers with drivers, and combining freight to need fewer drivers. Personally I am not a purist when it comes to Capitalism, but that is the game we are playing so those are the rules we use.

I hear a lot of guys say they will just quit...and you think Vitran minds? Look at all the changes that have been put in place since Feb/March. I would venture to to say the hiring/interview process has been overhauled too (they are looking for a new kind of employee now...one without the baggage from the past vitran/pjax). Keylon has a massive sinking ship to turn around, and my guess is he is throwing everything possible over board.

My plans are to try to swallow the vomit in the back of my mouth from time to time and hang in there for better times. As they say in Costra Nostra "it is not personal".

they know that there will be drivers leaving, that's why they're stockpiling new drivers. with that they can make them do driving/dock combo and they have someone available to fill the empty seat. this company does need an overhaul, but it seems they take from the lower everytime they make costly mistakes. it would be nice if they did the same at the top, besides kosovec. this company is too top heavy and needs to be streamlined as well.

Very nice comment. I too am looking for better times, being half way up in seniority on P&D at my terminal, I am giving Chris the benefit of the doubt, and of course being home every night is a plus, after a decade on road away from wife and kid, this is a nice change. To many drivers are expecting changes in a month or even three, not going to happen! It took years to screw it up, it will take a year to straighten it out!!

I have been at Vitran long enough to have a little seniority but not long enough to have ever gotten a raise. The reason I am sticking around is because of the new President. I doubt this new guy left his 16 year long job as VP of Fed Ex freight without doing a lot of research on the viability of Vitran and having a lot of meetings with Canada about what tools and freedom he would have to make it work. Keylon gave up something at Fed Ex for the gamble on Vitran. That does not mean anything is certain, but he is taking a personal risk by coming over here. It doesn't matter if you are digging dinner out of a trash pile in Africa or some millionaire Capitalist Pig, losing a job is never a good plan.

I agree with the previous posters that these changes are needed. Vitran is in the stone age.

As for raises and employee appreciation...I doubt there will be any for quite some time. We may get a few cents here and there, but we will only get real raises when business picks up enough that we need more drivers, and right now linehaul is being "streamlined". That means more efficient and that means fewer drivers needed. Down sized baby. Vitran is replacing dock workers with drivers, and combining freight to need fewer drivers. Personally I am not a purist when it comes to Capitalism, but that is the game we are playing so those are the rules we use.

I hear a lot of guys say they will just quit...and you think Vitran minds? Look at all the changes that have been put in place since Feb/March. I would venture to to say the hiring/interview process has been overhauled too (they are looking for a new kind of employee now...one without the baggage from the past vitran/pjax). Keylon has a massive sinking ship to turn around, and my guess is he is throwing everything possible over board.

My plans are to try to swallow the vomit in the back of my mouth from time to time and hang in there for better times. As they say in Costra Nostra "it is not personal".

Computers are a good idea-too bad the loan for them failed-so we won't be seeing them too soon!:hysterical:
I don't mind working here-it has ups and downs. But put a fork in it-it's done. I give it a year. I hope that's not true, I need a job, but truth is truth. Owing to all the idiots (both sides) in Washington, the Economy won't get better, and that will hurt us. If the Economy turns around (miracle) then we do stand a chance....but my gut tells me that isn't going to happen....
However, cutting the dock workers early to part time to bone them of memorial day as well as july 4th was uncool. that's the old Pjax way coming through...that crap needs to stop....

Computers are a good idea-too bad the loan for them failed-so we won't be seeing them too soon!:hysterical:
I don't mind working here-it has ups and downs. But put a fork in it-it's done. I give it a year. I hope that's not true, I need a job, but truth is truth. Owing to all the idiots (both sides) in Washington, the Economy won't get better, and that will hurt us. If the Economy turns around (miracle) then we do stand a chance....but my gut tells me that isn't going to happen....
However, cutting the dock workers early to part time to bone them of memorial day as well as july 4th was uncool. that's the old Pjax way coming through...that crap needs to stop....

i thought they just got a line of credit? did they burn through it already? Vitran | Press Release

the loan? they are samsung tablets from verizon, you can get your own for $50 contract and $30 a month data charge. My TM said we got 1500 to 1700 of them, and more are being rolled out every week. nothing special, we are just using an app named city driver, but do not know if our IT did it, or paid someone else to write the code. we had some hiccups at first, but this last week everyone's worked as far as i heard.

I worked there for almost ten years nothing will ever change until they get some management in place. I started in 2002 and it just got worse every year. When they ran out of freight they just bought another company to run into the ground. If there was a show called top worst managed companies in the world i'm sure vipjaxchrissirerawestmilanoverlandquast would be on it. I dont know your new management but im sure it is like the past. Not a clue about anything trucking. Good luck keep your options open