XPO | New Conway Freight driver with question about flexboard

tonyb

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi everyone. I've been driving for 2 1/2 years. Started out OTR and then got a local job. Changed companies a few times due to lack of work/hours. I got a job offer from Conway Freight in Milan, Ohio last month and was told that although they couldn't guarantee me full-time hours all the time, they were very busy. Also, I had been driving an hour each way on all of my prior jobs and this job is only 15 minutes from my house -- with the price of gas, being this close to work was an added bonus. So, I took the job. When I talked to the other guys at the terminal, they said they always take home decent paychecks and that the drivers who leave Conway don't leave because of lack of work/bad paychecks (at least not at this terminal). Even the newer guys with only a year said they worked pretty consistently all year. Well, I finished my training and have been on my own since April 25th. I was placed on night line-haul. My very first day "on my own," I got called off due to lack of loads. It was the day after Easter and the weather was really bad, so I assumed that was the reason. I worked the remaining 4 days that week. Then, this week, there was no work for me on Monday and now again, tonight, there isn't any work. I totally understand that I'm the new guy and at the bottom of the ladder. But, I just didn't expect to be off 3 days out of my first 8. This doesn't fare well for my expectations of full-time work. Is this pretty "normal"? Had I known this, I probably wouldn't have taken this job, as I just can't support my wife and 4 kids working 3 days a week. Any idea how long it takes to move up the ladder high enough to get at least 40 hours of work a week? Can I expect work to get more stable as we get into summer? I'm grateful to have a job, but the whole reason I've changed companies over the last 2 years was due to lack of work. I can probably handle working short weeks here and there, but definitely not on a consistent basis. Of course, my wife is freaking out about how we'll pay the bills on 3 day paychecks (and that's assuming that I'll work the remaining 3 days this week). Any words of encouragement or have I taken the wrong job to support a family of 6?

Hang in there and sign up for Saturday work. Good luck to you and God bless you and your family. I hope you get some work tommorrow.

Hang in there for a year. We have a high turn-over rate you'll move up the ladder as the guys above you leave. Gaining steady employment with this company is a process that requires a little patience and the ability to take the long view going forward.

When I was at the bottom of the board , I was told by my manager that if you don't have 40 hours in you get a shot at Saturday work first. It shouldn't be by seniority if you can't make ends meet. Also , when it was slow at my terminal they allowed drivers from our terminal(not an FAC) to drive in our personal cars to a nearby FAC and work.
Hang in there and sign up for Saturday work. Good luck to you and God bless you and your family. I hope you get some work tommorrow.

just as icuicp said...if they have work at a different FAC you can drive there in your personal car there and work..we had a guy who use to run city in the day and on fridays he would drive down to the FAC in his car and work as much as he wanted...

Hi everyone. I've been driving for 2 1/2 years. Started out OTR and then got a local job. Changed companies a few times due to lack of work/hours. I got a job offer from Conway Freight in Milan, Ohio last month and was told that although they couldn't guarantee me full-time hours all the time, they were very busy. Also, I had been driving an hour each way on all of my prior jobs and this job is only 15 minutes from my house -- with the price of gas, being this close to work was an added bonus. So, I took the job. When I talked to the other guys at the terminal, they said they always take home decent paychecks and that the drivers who leave Conway don't leave because of lack of work/bad paychecks (at least not at this terminal). Even the newer guys with only a year said they worked pretty consistently all year. Well, I finished my training and have been on my own since April 25th. I was placed on night line-haul. My very first day "on my own," I got called off due to lack of loads. It was the day after Easter and the weather was really bad, so I assumed that was the reason. I worked the remaining 4 days that week. Then, this week, there was no work for me on Monday and now again, tonight, there isn't any work. I totally understand that I'm the new guy and at the bottom of the ladder. But, I just didn't expect to be off 3 days out of my first 8. This doesn't fare well for my expectations of full-time work. Is this pretty "normal"? Had I known this, I probably wouldn't have taken this job, as I just can't support my wife and 4 kids working 3 days a week. Any idea how long it takes to move up the ladder high enough to get at least 40 hours of work a week? Can I expect work to get more stable as we get into summer? I'm grateful to have a job, but the whole reason I've changed companies over the last 2 years was due to lack of work. I can probably handle working short weeks here and there, but definitely not on a consistent basis. Of course, my wife is freaking out about how we'll pay the bills on 3 day paychecks (and that's assuming that I'll work the remaining 3 days this week). Any words of encouragement or have I taken the wrong job to support a family of 6?

Move on...there is no future with this company.

This a 'shareholder' first company as outlined in the corporate statement...the driver/employee is way down on the list.

I should know...I worked there for almost ten years.

Once you have been there for a spell..you will quickly discover that all things gone awry are allocated to the supposed failures of the drivers...and I do mean everything...from damages to fuel mileage to mechanical failures...ad nauseum.

Then there is ever popular and often over-used 'economic terminations'...when things get slow you are fired...and as things improve you are invited to return...as a new employee starting from the bottom...again.

This company has become little more than an elitist version of Central Transport.

For the sake of your family...run.

The CEO of this company is an idiot and a BS artist...not to be trusted.

RUN FORREST!!!...RUN!!!

Rat

what is an FAC? The terminal that I work at does not operate on Saturdays. When I get back in on Saturday mornings from my Friday night line-haul, it's completely deserted. If I'm last in, I have to lock up and put the alarm on. So, working Saturdays there isn't an option. The Cleveland terminal is within a 45 minute drive. Does FAC just mean another terminal? If so, I could see if I'm allowed to work in Parma on my days off -- I just didn't think they allowed this.

FAC= Freight Assembly Center - It is the meeting point for linehaul runs (aka breakbulk, reship, etc) It's the place that you drive to at night when you run. Bottom line: ask management to let you work. Con-Way didn't hire you to
not work you.
what is an FAC? The terminal that I work at does not operate on Saturdays. When I get back in on Saturday mornings from my Friday night line-haul, it's completely deserted. If I'm last in, I have to lock up and put the alarm on. So, working Saturdays there isn't an option. The Cleveland terminal is within a 45 minute drive. Does FAC just mean another terminal? If so, I could see if I'm allowed to work in Parma on my days off -- I just didn't think they allowed this.

:wtflol:
Move on...there is no future with this company.

This a 'shareholder' first company as outlined in the corporate statement...the driver/employee is way down on the list.

I should know...I worked there for almost ten years.

Once you have been there for a spell..you will quickly discover that all things gone awry are allocated to the supposed failures of the drivers...and I do mean everything...from damages to fuel mileage to mechanical failures...ad nauseum.

Then there is ever popular and often over-used 'economic terminations'...when things get slow you are fired...and as things improve you are invited to return...as a new employee starting from the bottom...again.

This company has become little more than an elitist version of Central Transport.

For the sake of your family...run.

The CEO of this company is an idiot and a BS artist...not to be trusted.

RUN FORREST!!!...RUN!!!

Rat

Sounds like CF , bend over and grab your ankles.

Rat

You're entitled to your opinions, but do you know of any "shareholder last" companies this young man can apply to?

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it. I've just been looking for a company that'll keep me working. I had my own painting business for 13 years, but this economy killed it after 9/11 hit. I limped my way along until we just couldn't keep up with our bills. My father-in-law trucked for 30 years and he kept telling me to get my CDL -- that'll I'll always have work. So, I did and have been extremely frustrated ever since. I started out with Crete, but left them because they kept me out for 4 weeks at a time -- didn't work with a family. Then I took a job with Valley Transportation hauling steel. It at least got me home on weekends, but I spent a LOT of time sitting around (unpaid) waiting for a load. Then I found a local driving position with Allied Building Products. It was very hard work (throwing bundles of roofing shingles up on roofs all day long), but I did it because I needed to work and I got to come home every night. But, come winter, my hours got cut to around 22 a week (just enough to keep me off unemployment) and then I was completely laid off for over two months. Couldn't pay my bills on the measley unemployment check I got every week. So, I took a job with 7-Up. It was okay, until our plant merged with another plant and there weren't enough routes for all the drivers, so I was back to the lay-off game yet again. While on lay-off, I got picked up by UPS Freight. I thought it was the "regular" UPS Freight, but it was their contract carrier division. It paid decent, but my position was dock worker/fill-in driver. I took it because it was at least more money than I was making on unemployment, and I thought I'd get a full-time driving job. Well, it became apparent that I wasn't going to get a full-time driving job anytime soon and they had to bid to the state of Ohio every five years for the contract (we hauled liquor for the state). The uncertainty of keeping my job every 5 years combined with the rumors of Ohio privatizing their liquor was enough to get me to accept the job with Conway Freight when they called. So, here I am -- come full circle -- just can't find a company that'll work me. I am a very hard worker, but I guess being at the bottom is just that -- being at the bottom -- no matter what kind of a worker you are. I just need a job with some consistent hours!!! I've been with several companies and all seem to have to same game. Well, I just called dispatch and apparently, I'm working tonight. Of course, I get the shortest runs (not complaining -- just glad to be working tonight). I just hope the freight gets busy enough to keep me working. If I can make enough this summer to stash some away for winter, then maybe I can make it until I move up enough to get more steady work. How long do you remain on the flexboard?

Give it a couple of weeks ... talk to you SCM about working at he FAC in parma ... show them you want to work .. sign up for saturdays ... make sure they know you are there especially when you dont get your 40 and there is work on saturday

I hope you guys dont mind if i jump in. My dad worked at conway for a year before gettimg a linehaul job at estes. He liked conway they just did stupid stuff. But if your young enough try foodservice. To me its more steady been doing it for almost 4 years. I have done ltl and its a good job just seems like more bs.

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it. I've just been looking for a company that'll keep me working. I had my own painting business for 13 years, but this economy killed it after 9/11 hit. I limped my way along until we just couldn't keep up with our bills. My father-in-law trucked for 30 years and he kept telling me to get my CDL -- that'll I'll always have work. So, I did and have been extremely frustrated ever since. I started out with Crete, but left them because they kept me out for 4 weeks at a time -- didn't work with a family. Then I took a job with Valley Transportation hauling steel. It at least got me home on weekends, but I spent a LOT of time sitting around (unpaid) waiting for a load. Then I found a local driving position with Allied Building Products. It was very hard work (throwing bundles of roofing shingles up on roofs all day long), but I did it because I needed to work and I got to come home every night. But, come winter, my hours got cut to around 22 a week (just enough to keep me off unemployment) and then I was completely laid off for over two months. Couldn't pay my bills on the measley unemployment check I got every week. So, I took a job with 7-Up. It was okay, until our plant merged with another plant and there weren't enough routes for all the drivers, so I was back to the lay-off game yet again. While on lay-off, I got picked up by UPS Freight. I thought it was the "regular" UPS Freight, but it was their contract carrier division. It paid decent, but my position was dock worker/fill-in driver. I took it because it was at least more money than I was making on unemployment, and I thought I'd get a full-time driving job. Well, it became apparent that I wasn't going to get a full-time driving job anytime soon and they had to bid to the state of Ohio every five years for the contract (we hauled liquor for the state). The uncertainty of keeping my job every 5 years combined with the rumors of Ohio privatizing their liquor was enough to get me to accept the job with Conway Freight when they called. So, here I am -- come full circle -- just can't find a company that'll work me. I am a very hard worker, but I guess being at the bottom is just that -- being at the bottom -- no matter what kind of a worker you are. I just need a job with some consistent hours!!! I've been with several companies and all seem to have to same game. Well, I just called dispatch and apparently, I'm working tonight. Of course, I get the shortest runs (not complaining -- just glad to be working tonight). I just hope the freight gets busy enough to keep me working. If I can make enough this summer to stash some away for winter, then maybe I can make it until I move up enough to get more steady work. How long do you remain on the flexboard?

tell your mgr. that you would be willing to be lent out, by that i mean go help out at another terminal. That means you usually are filling in for a week or so, vac.etc. They cover your hotel,meals and pay you milage if you take your vehicle. Show's your willingness to work and pay's the bill's. Should not change your senority. Try to fing a parttime gig for someone to fill in the empty spot's. The first yr. is the toughest, set your site's on that and it will probably come quicker. Good luck

You're entitled to your opinions, but do you know of any "shareholder last" companies this young man can apply to?

Any other concern with a decent wage and benefit package.

All companies are profits first and the shareholder returns are paramount.

Con-Way is just a little too 'in your face' about it.

I can deal with :::shit:::...just don't rub it in my face.

That in tandem with Con-Way's viewpoint regarding the importance of their drivers...this young man needs to look elsewhere.

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
As summer goes on, more people will be taking PTO days for vacation. Also some senior dsr's will take off when work gets slow, to let lower dsr's work. Just see if any guys at your location are willing to do this. Most are willing to work as a team, it's what happened when everyone else started. The answer to your main question is we really don't know. Work depends on freight volume. And sometimes linehaul control doesnt work origin dsr's because they can cover overages with FAC dsr's. See if this is happenning. Mgt cannot make other dsr's take off to let you work. If it gets to be a consistent problem ask to be allowed to work in city operations until freight volume comes back up. You can drive and work on the dock at another location, if it is feasible. You need to talk to your SCM and find out the options. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for everyone's input. I really appreciate it. I know Rat thinks I should look elsewhere, but I've already been with 5 other companies (in just the last 3 years) and every one of them had their issues -- a lot of them the same as with Conway. I'm 45 years old and just don't want to keep stating over again at the bottom of the ladder. I don't really know of any companies out there that are a lot better. I don't exactly live in an area with a lot of opportunities (without having to drive an hour each way), so I think I'm going to just stick it out here and see if things get better. And, each time I change jobs, I'm always second-guessing myself as to whether or not I made the right decision. Things seem to be getting somewhat better. Even though my nightly runs are only 115 miles away, I'm getting some dock time and a couple of via's. Hopefully, it'll get better when guys start taking pto time. The poor kid under me only got 1 day of work last week. I'm certainly glad that hasn't happened to me. My wife would be having a fit! Thanks again, everyone!

I think you should look elsewhere as well......along with all the others who had the poorest excuse to vote ya off the island to make way for un-seasoned freight handlers......the new addition to the dream and the team. I am not saying you are not seasoned........I am referring to the apprentiship program as well as the "I cant back up to save my life" program.
Wheres my damn flashlight......I gotta make sure them jaws are around that kingpin!!!!!! WHY DID IT TAKE YOU 25 MINUTES TO HOOK?.....Looking for my flashlight sir.....please let go of my bag of goodies! I sincerely apologize for the 25 minutes....let me change it to 15 minutes paid and 10 minutes off duty........Thats stealing time.....UR FIRED! NEXT! Hurry up.....NEXT!
LMAO.......but its real. Thats Con-way.
I dont need to **** in the bottle either......

are all the terminals in the states slow?? We are storming up here in canada... keep trying to hire drivers to keep up with the freight! City DSR's are working 50+ hours a week, with saturday runs down to the FAC in the states. Highway guys are putting in 60 hours a week. I say stick it out driver, give it a year if you can. As others have said make yourself available for extra work.It sounds like you have a great work ethic... don't let a slow week get you down!!