Yellow | new cornbinders

In my book Cornbinder are like Freightshaker, they have never made a good truck, and don't think they ever will...................... Give me a VN Volvo any day ........:1036316054:

yo scotsman...

i aint gonna argue here about good trucks or bad ones...

when i first hired on here if you got in a brigadier with 600,000 miles on it it was absolute junk.....

we had fords in new england that wouldn't die but,were absolutely horrible to drive, especially when it got below zero and sthe steering boxes froze...

the 'backslappers', 'WG's', 'chromenoses' and the old 'cornbinders' were junk after about 800,000 miles......

i got a big ride in all kinds of weather year round, and got no problemo getting into a 'VN' with a million 3 or 4 and gettin' up the road.....

i just duct tape the left door exhaust vent so i don't get a draft on my back, hang my thermometer on the windshield, duct tape the high beam indicator light, strap my radio gear in and get up the road.....

only thing i don't like is the fuelers don't check the antifreeze level or fill up the washer fluid because in the midwest only machinist mechanics can pop the hoods, really stupid (remember low coolant will shut you down in the middle of nowhere and silicon hoses never really seal).....

right now, they are retiring old 'VN's' to the city and they must have at least more than 20 binders system wide as i saw 14608 in STL last week (not counting the triples tractors out of SLC).....

lowest number truck i drove here was 1529 (cabover astro).......

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

You guys need to remember that the only difference between an International truck and an International manure spreader is the glass.

In my book Cornbinder are like Freightshaker, they have never made a good truck, and don't think they ever will...................... Give me a VN Volvo any day ........:1036316054:

Well, I was never a big fan of the Internationals, but I had one to use the otherday and it worked just fine for me. My only complaint was that it was very stiff to shift. That may change, the unit I spent the day in only had 21,000 miles on it, not even broke in...

And of course this really is a Ford/Chevy disscussion thing.

I grow-up driving Freightliners, they were good trucks as far as I'm concerned, today I really don't know...

Jimmy B

What I primarily remember about internationals (granted this was 20 years ago) is that they were much tighter in the winter than a freightliner. I worked casual then for a defunct ltl company and a grocery warehouse. The ltl company was devoted to their freightliners, and the grocery company (also gone) had switched about 1985 from freightliners to buying internationals. All I can say is that you didn't need duct tape in the internationals, and the a/c worked well in the summer months too. I have heard from mechanics at one time or another that the wiring is a nightmare to work on.

Well when I first started driving I primarily drove fld120 freightliners I acctually love those trucks after driving other brands you guys also have to remember the freight companies buy the cheap insulation packages etc etc I drove some flds with the vinly int and crap yeah they are pretty crappy the place I drove the trucks were all cloth leather wrapped steering wheel etc ,I have also drove ints the same way nice tractors the key to it is need the better insulation packages etc ,and it is like a ford chevy,dodge thing ,I can say this though when I first started at american freightways I had a brand new int city tractor L3244 I can honestly say I loved peddling freight with it it was an 8100 with a 7spd that truck was bullet proof and you cant ask for anthing better when you gotta buck snow to get up the road ,hell they still peddle freight with it at our barn 350000 + on it good for a DT466 engine,point is when you buy the base trucks you really get what you pay for and they aint paying us to be comfy or content just drive it ,thats what my GMC sierra is for

I owned a 1967 IH CO4000, which I bought used at the end of 1971, and it sure wasn't tight. Thank goodness that duct tape was around then! :biglaugh:

Jimmy B

Here is a shot I took the day I used a new International for P&D. At this shipper we have to drop the trailer before they will unload the freight.

YFS47474_11-13-06_01.jpg

yo jimmy b....

right away the front fender mudflaps have to be extended....

after driving that thing the way it is in the snow the steps will both clog up with frozen slush in about 100 miles or so.....

do the SLC triples tractors have those huge chainboxes that are 3 feet tall?????

i had a former west coast twin screw out of SCA and it had one, so friggin' high i had to tilt my jukebox over to get it in the door.....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I've notice all the new ones are coming without that chain box. They just have that table thingy for the driver's radio boxes. Think they are putting chain racks on one side. The Argosies have a chain boxes on the out side.

All the companies I worked for before coming to Yellow, with the exception of one, always paid attention to the chain storage placement. So it was so much easier to chain with racks placed on both sides of the truck.

A fellow could chain a set of doubles without ever having to lay a chain on the ground. So much easier than laying the chains on the ground and strightening them out then picking them up to put them over the tire.

Jimmy B

Nice pictures,but with all the other stuff thats going on ,Is this all we have to discuss.
There ain`t nobody *****en or whinen or anything. What is going on here! At least they`re talking on the Roadway page,I think.

hey bufbill i just ret from yellow buf road 11 1 06 so i want to talk about my fat 30 yr nyst pension im going to get at age 58 big dep going in 12 12 06 just got off the phone with the fund i can hardlle wait so now you know who i m not sure about U

hey bufbill i just ret from yellow buf road 11 1 06 so i want to talk about my fat 30 yr nyst pension im going to get at age 58 big dep going in 12 12 06 just got off the phone with the fund i can hardlle wait so now you know who i m not sure about U

Congrats Bigdog. I went 5-1-06 form Roadway. Check shows up every month like clockwork, much to the dis-belief of some of the non-believers:tongue0015: Did you take the insurance from Syracuse? Did you bang Yellow for all of 07 vacation which you have already earned? I still can't wipe the smile off my face...............

Nice pictures,but with all the other stuff thats going on ,Is this all we have to discuss.
There ain`t nobody *****en or whinen or anything. What is going on here! At least they`re talking on the Roadway page,I think.

Well Bufbill, your more than welcome to hit the new message button and start a topic about any of your pet peaves, so go ahead!

Jimmy B

Jimmy B, you take the best pictures and have one of the best cameras I've ever seen for posting pics. Think I'm gonna nominate you as Truckingboards "official" truck photographer. The pay sucks (none), no bennies, hollered at by management to "get one more", maybe you'll get to use the corporate jet to fly around to the terminals and get some good "spy" pics.........keep up the good work.:smilies-19296:

hey big R I got all that was mine if your gona bone a guy dont dont jump a guy thats been around 30 + like me jump a guy thats new let me tell ya I laugh my but off when i see kings daves and other ***** unloading at the mall or some **** on the 90 Ialmost fall out of my new chevy suv im so happy also they just laid off over there but this year i laid them OFF