XPO | New corporation ...New Truckingboard...New Owners ???

con-way freight

Lawofone said:
Now something happen in trucking. In 1983 there was a holding company that started up a new company with plans in the future to eliminate a part of itself that had a third party encroachment to it`s plans. So in 1996 the holding company, spun off part of itself to itself to maintain control over it`s plans for the future. With people sitting on the compensation and audit boards of the freshly spun off part knowing what was going to take place in the near future, helped change this new spun off part to an operating company, to make things look good on paper. Now let us fast forward to 2002, and low and behold our operating company files for Chapter 11 ( reorganization ) bankruptcy and puts 20,000+ people out of a job, out of pension money, just out on the street; period. While this was taking place, some of the top people jumped back to the holding company as if nothing happen. After the bankruptcy was filed the operating company reversed back to a holding company. On paper this looks good. Let`s keep the shareholders happy. Looking in on today`s dealing, that is 2006, you will find that the holding company has changed to an operating company and is ready to do the same thing again. Do we see a pattern starting to develope here? Just look at recent headlines of what is going on with big corportations and ask yourself if you will be the next to be put out on the street. Will you lose your pension, and have the doors close on you? If that happens, what would you do?
first off sorry for going off topic! i sure hope nothing happens to our pensions or bene's cause thats why i came here in the first place, might i have to leave???

wipeyourmgmt said:
first off sorry for going off topic! i sure hope nothing happens to our pensions or bene's cause thats why i came here in the first place, might i have to leave???
Don't run,Stay and fight it out.We will have options other then quiting

ba ba ba ba baby you ain't se se seen nothing yet ... here something your never gonna forget ... get your chit together fellas cause there's fixin to be some big changes ahead ... and you ain't gonna like it .. just keep telling yourself record profits ... record profits... record profits.... every year record profits ... I shouldn't even have to question anything about pensions or my health care benefits or any other benefit I qualify for as I can just focus on doing my job ... being safe moving freight as quickly as possible ... making it through some of the worst snow storms and tornadoes .. I know that my beloved company is not going to or would they ever dream of taking away things from it's workforce who bust their *** making chicken salad out of chicken --it everyday for who ...

Lawofone said:
Now something happen in trucking. In 1983 there was a holding company that started up a new company with plans in the future to eliminate a part of itself that had a third party encroachment to it`s plans. So in 1996 the holding company, spun off part of itself to itself to maintain control over it`s plans for the future. With people sitting on the compensation and audit boards of the freshly spun off part knowing what was going to take place in the near future, helped change this new spun off part to an operating company, to make things look good on paper. Now let us fast forward to 2002, and low and behold our operating company files for Chapter 11 ( reorganization ) bankruptcy and puts 20,000+ people out of a job, out of pension money, just out on the street; period. While this was taking place, some of the top people jumped back to the holding company as if nothing happen. After the bankruptcy was filed the operating company reversed back to a holding company. On paper this looks good. Let`s keep the shareholders happy. Looking in on today`s dealing, that is 2006, you will find that the holding company has changed to an operating company and is ready to do the same thing again. Do we see a pattern starting to develope here? Just look at recent headlines of what is going on with big corportations and ask yourself if you will be the next to be put out on the street. Will you lose your pension, and have the doors close on you? If that happens, what would you do?

We're comparing apples to oranges.

C.F. was losing money in their operation every day. Yes, by all means, that was the way it was intended - to break free of the U word. Likewise, Emery was a money losing operation, especially since the F.A.A. (Federal Aviation Administration) grounded it's fleet of aircraft for safety violations.

Con-way, on the other hand, has been profitable since, what, 1984? All the business decisions made by the board were just that, business decisions. The had to do what looked good on paper to keep the shareholders in, for without them, we are nothing. The recent shift to an operating company is, IMO, just another click at streamlining the operation to a lean, profitable corporation.

If everyone decides to fight the new wave and try to shift it back to the way it was, good luck. The company has grown to a size where it is no longer a "family" operation. We are now a multi-billion dollar transportation powerhouse, and I think you'll find a hard time finding the majority of 48,000,000 shares to say otherwise.

But, as I said, good luck. May the force be with you. :shades:

RoadRage76 said:
We're comparing apples to oranges.

C.F. was losing money in their operation every day. Yes, by all means, that was the way it was intended - to break free of the U word. Likewise, Emery was a money losing operation, especially since the F.A.A. (Federal Aviation Administration) grounded it's fleet of aircraft for safety violations.

Con-way, on the other hand, has been profitable since, what, 1984? All the business decisions made by the board were just that, business decisions. The had to do what looked good on paper to keep the shareholders in, for without them, we are nothing. The recent shift to an operating company is, IMO, just another click at streamlining the operation to a lean, profitable corporation.

If everyone decides to fight the new wave and try to shift it back to the way it was, good luck. The company has grown to a size where it is no longer a "family" operation. We are now a multi-billion dollar transportation powerhouse, and I think you'll find a hard time finding the majority of 48,000,000 shares to say otherwise.

But, as I said, good luck. May the force be with you. :shades:
It won't hurt to try.

it just seems to me that the "fat" has been trimmed in the wrong places. and i make that observation as a driver. not management

Hey Ya'll

New to the post just wanted to say hey!
I've been with Con-way for a little over a year and really have few complaints. It is disheartning to here all the rumors and gossip but reality is thats part of the trucking business!!!! Just turn on ch 19 if you don't agree. The latest good one here in the south is DHL bought us last Friday. This has been a VERY VERY popular rumor since I started over a year ago. Please please let it go and start a new one. :Sign-Cow:

papabear530 said:
New to the post just wanted to say hey!
I've been with Con-way for a little over a year and really have few complaints. It is disheartning to here all the rumors and gossip but reality is thats part of the trucking business!!!! Just turn on ch 19 if you don't agree. The latest good one here in the south is DHL bought us last Friday. This has been a VERY VERY popular rumor since I started over a year ago. Please please let it go and start a new one. :Sign-Cow:
Don't for get ups.That was close.

May be old news now about "lay-offs" but there were 4 DSR 1 FOS and 1 inspector relived of duties at NKX over the past 4 weeks! It looks to be wide spread from reading other post.

papabear530 said:
The latest good one here in the south is DHL bought us last Friday. This has been a VERY VERY popular rumor since I started over a year ago. Please please let it go and start a new one. :Sign-Cow:

papabear, keep in mind that Conway is a publicly traded company.
Any and all information relating to a sale is public information and any sale would have to go to the shareholders for approval.

I'm not saying that it's not happening or it will never happen but I can tell you that it has not happened yet.

Stay tuned to Truckingboards LTL Trucking Forums - Powered by vBulletin for more information if it becomes available

Another way is going to the SEC web site and getting on the e-mail list for our company and you will be notified the day that they post any form with the SEC, and be able to read it for yourself.

scroodigan said:
so what's next ???
Anything that you want to happen, the only problem is it will take unity to make anything happen. As you well know, there are a vast number of people that will take it up the ( add you own word ) than ask a question or search for an answer on there own. Most people here will say, get me the information and show me, and then not do anything with what you give them. How sad. I would tell you what is next, but again a vast number of people would say-- no that would not happen-- the company would not do that to us. Again, people will accept anything that happens to them and say that we can not change anything, the company is going to do what they want and we can not do anything about it. Again how sad. Alot of the small problems could be solved by people one on one, and the big problems by alittle unity. Let me get off the soap box. No one wants to listen anyway.

Lawofone said:
Anything that you want to happen, the only problem is it will take unity to make anything happen. As you well know, there are a vast number of people that will take it up the ( add you own word ) than ask a question or search for an answer on there own. Most people here will say, get me the information and show me, and then not do anything with what you give them. How sad. I would tell you what is next, but again a vast number of people would say-- no that would not happen-- the company would not do that to us. Again, people will accept anything that happens to them and say that we can not change anything, the company is going to do what they want and we can not do anything about it. Again how sad. Alot of the small problems could be solved by people one on one, and the big problems by alittle unity. Let me get off the soap box. No one wants to listen anyway.

i do...........

Lawofone said:
Fear too think for them selfs,Act on what they know and blindfaith in something that dosen't give a rats tail about them.Unity takes balls.To many lunch room hero's on the team.

gfy said:
Sure we poke fun at the company,This is a voice to people that can't speak out load.You are very right that c f (conway freight) has alot going for it.But their are thing going on that need to be addressed.So why not address them and have a little fun along the way.I believe we need to raise the hiring standard's,Not a bad thing,right.Cut down the 5.3 years to top scale.Find out if their are better health care plans then cigna.How they plan on fixing our under funded supplemental pension plan.(page 57 2005 annual report) and how much is it underfunded.The thing I have just said are not disloyal.These thing I'm asking our things that as co-owners we should all be asking.
When i started working at con-way it was 3 years to top scale,we had a good health an pension plan.Now con-way
is a big company,an they are saving big dollars by taking 1% of our pay for health care,an saving big dollars on sick days.an pension.

BEAR HAMMER said:
When i started working at con-way it was 3 years to top scale,we had a good health an pension plan.Now con-way
is a big company,an they are saving big dollars by taking 1% of our pay for health care,an saving big dollars on sick days.an pension.
Ask them how much of a profit they our making off our 1% that goes to the bottom line.They have been ask the number would surprises you.

Lawofone said:
What really sucks is that alot of people will not get involved to change the way the company is heading. Just for the heck of it, what have some of you done to change the way we are heading? After all there are three kind of people, those that make things happen, those that watch, those that wonder what just happen. Just to start, I will be first to say SEC, Lawsuits, DOL, EEOC, WDR, just to start. Now tell me what will you do?
Is this public information that I can find on the internet?