Estes | new dockworker?

flying dutchman

TB Lurker
Credits
hey guys can anyone give me some general info on how being a dockworker for Estes works? pay rate? just everything that can come to mind.. thank you!!

I think pay is around 16 an hour, probation for 90 days then offered full time. After that you get a raise every 66maos mos as long as your performance stays up. The raises stop after 3 years, tops out 21 an hour, overall I enjoyed it when I worked the dock.

awesome thanks guys sounds good. But is there any other info you can say about it? Will it eventually work into a driving job? Im sure they will only hire one person and my buddy and i both went to fill out the app witch kinda screwed me.. the interviews are this coming tuesday his is at two and mine is at three lol...?

awesome thanks guys sounds good. But is there any other info you can say about it? Will it eventually work into a driving job? Im sure they will only hire one person and my buddy and i both went to fill out the app witch kinda screwed me.. the interviews are this coming tuesday his is at two and mine is at three lol...?
everything depends on you. Do a good job on the dock. Get your cdls. Volunteer to help out on weekends and move trailers. Bid on a yard jockey job to get experience. Bid on a city spot, then one day you'll be a big time trucker working 100 hours a week like the rest of us. Several at our barn started on the dock. Nothing wrong with working 8 hours on the lift and going home everyday either.

everything depends on you. Do a good job on the dock. Get your cdls. Volunteer to help out on weekends and move trailers. Bid on a yard jockey job to get experience. Bid on a city spot, then one day you'll be a big time trucker working 100 hours a week like the rest of us. Several at our barn started on the dock. Nothing wrong with working 8 hours on the lift and going home everyday either.

see thats just the thing i want nothing more than to be a Billy big rigger lol and i do have my cdls permit that is.. and the center that the interview is for is a very small terminal. I currently work for ups package and have now for almost 5 years started there in high school but working preload and nights when they need me just isnt enough during peak season were workin AT least 60hr week driver helping so that makes it nice. but i just dont know how much longer im gona have to wate because also its a small center to.. also my dad drives for conway and has since it very first opend up. my grandpa drove to for AGA lindie now, so i know what its about for the most part, and i have drove before but just in parking lots hooking unhooking ect.

thanks guys keep the posts coming.

The thing about working ltl is getting your foot in the door and time. You already have both at ups. I think you should stay there and ride that horse til it falls over.

The thing about working ltl is getting your foot in the door and time. You already have both at ups. I think you should stay there and ride that horse til it falls over.

thats very true and thats what alot of people have said, but also i need another job, and this would be right down my alley. idk what the hours would be and whats the chances of it working into a driving job? or jockying? like i said its a small terminal to and i cant amagin them hiring more than one person, would you know more about that than me?

after you get the job, you can always transfer to a big terminal if it looks like your not getting nowhere. if you run wild, a two hour drive is nothing once a week

The only downside is when it get slow,junior men are the first to go. Haven't seen the jockey guy around for a while, replaced him with a city driver. So what I'm saying is until you have time don't count on long term with us. Best of luck to you ( I do mean that ) and i'm glad to see some of the younger generation isn't afraid to work, we depend on you to keep SS. going

I think pay is around 16 an hour, probation for 90 days then offered full time. After that you get a raise every 66maos mos as long as your performance stays up. The raises stop after 3 years, tops out 21 an hour, overall I enjoyed it when I worked the dock.

Really, that much...That's it..I'm gettin' outta this damn truck...I've seen the dockers work,you don't have to be fast,just consistent...

after you get the job, you can always transfer to a big terminal if it looks like your not getting nowhere. if you run wild, a two hour drive is nothing once a week

thanks guys lots of help here!!! But what do you guys thing the odd of them at a small terminal hiring more than one? also you say transfering, if i would do that do i have to start completly from the bottom up again? do i keep seniority date?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only downside is when it get slow,junior men are the first to go. Haven't seen the jockey guy around for a while, replaced him with a city driver. So what I'm saying is until you have time don't count on long term with us. Best of luck to you ( I do mean that ) and i'm glad to see some of the younger generation isn't afraid to work, we depend on you to keep SS. going

thanks kantgetryte. and you say first to go does than mean layed off or done and not comming back?

Thanks mildew i checked that thread out but i live up north? Also from reading that thread thats how estes works really go out and run the circuit for a week thats like what holland, abf do right? But still what do you think the odds at a small terminal hiring more than one dockworker, when i know they already have one unless the fired him haha

Thanks mildew i checked that thread out but i live up north? Also from reading that thread thats how estes works really go out and run the circuit for a week thats like what holland, abf do right? But still what do you think the odds at a small terminal hiring more than one dockworker, when i know they already have one unless the fired him haha

Prob not going to see any dock hiring at small term till frieght gets busy in the spring....

do you have dubs and hazmat yet??? your haz takes lil while to do background you might want to start that process!!!

I worked at ups package and Ups Frieght by far i really like it here at Estes ME and my pockets are alot fatter lol.......

Prob not going to see any dock hiring at small term till frieght gets busy in the spring....

do you have dubs and hazmat yet??? your haz takes lil while to do background you might want to start that process!!!

I worked at ups package and Ups Frieght by far i really like it here at Estes ME and my pockets are alot fatter lol.......

then wonder why they are interviewing us next week? but yes i have all endorcements except hazmat