TForce | New Dollies

UPGF4IBT

TB Lurker
Credits
I used one of those new UPS dollies a few days ago with the springs mounted under the 5th and I have to say aside from being nice and shiny I was not at all impressed. They are quite heavy to lift and maneuver and seem more jumpy going down the road. Of course, I lost my nice air-ride dolly courtesy of Motor Cargo a week ago, so anything may seem bad compared to that...any thoughts on these new dollies?

I saw one in Greenville Yesterday also, and your right new and shiney, but thats about it.. I really like the brand new UPS trailers we have gotten though.. sharp... we have been repainting the old ones at the rate of 1 a week, but we also have gotten a few new ones.. and those diads!!! once you learn them they're great but at first what a pain with the 4x4 stuff and customers on cash, and delays.. list goes on, but I feel in a few weeks it will make life easier....... dispatcher definitely can't say he gave you a pickup when he really didn't with the diad in your hand, all info is right there..

southerngrits said:
I saw one in Greenville Yesterday also, and your right new and shiney, but thats about it.. I really like the brand new UPS trailers we have gotten though.. sharp... we have been repainting the old ones at the rate of 1 a week, but we also have gotten a few new ones.. and those diads!!! once you learn them they're great but at first what a pain with the 4x4 stuff and customers on cash, and delays.. list goes on, but I feel in a few weeks it will make life easier....... dispatcher definitely can't say he gave you a pickup when he really didn't with the diad in your hand, all info is right there..
Used one lastnight......Is the tounges longer than the MC silver eagles? I like the silvereagle after you get used to them, but these are a little heavy on the tounge.....

Got one the other day on my meet. Was glad to get rid of it. Definately heavier. Liked those silver eagles. I believe that's what they were. Anyway the ones we got last year. Well we might as well get used to the new equipment. Can you say Sterlings in the future.

quick question for u guys and good luck w/ the unionization,the motor cargo trailers whats upp w/ them u own them or u interline w/ them alot of them in your yard s

I will take any old junk dolly any day over the new style dolly's. As long as it has a hand crank on it. I wan't nothing to do with any dolly that you have to ballance and manuver at the same time. This is a back injury waiting to happen. I wish they would put the hand crank with a wheel on all dolly's. I did use one of those Great Dane dolly's once. I was not sure what was going to give first, My heart or my back.

Boats said:
Got one the other day on my meet. Was glad to get rid of it. Definately heavier. Liked those silver eagles. I believe that's what they were. Anyway the ones we got last year. Well we might as well get used to the new equipment. Can you say Sterlings in the future.
Pray for volvos my friend, Sterlings are the biggest P.O.S.

And I couldn't imagine using your dollies! Gotta tell you, we at RDWY have the best, but slowly they are going to be fazed out.

Ive heard drivers say they like the new sterlings but they spend a lotta time in the shop. The only new equipment Ive driven of late is an International. Nice ride compared to those itty bitty ones we have that strain to pull an MT up a hill. Heaven forbid you have a couple 100% pups. Turn the 4 ways on and wave everyone on by. Ive only seen New Volvo's at UPSF, but a variety of Internationals, Sterlings and Macks at UPS. Nothing but Sterlings at UPSCC. Seems like it would be better to stick with one brand so as not to have to stock a variety of parts

BusterNite said:
I will take any old junk dolly any day over the new style dolly's. As long as it has a hand crank on it. I wan't nothing to do with any dolly that you have to ballance and manuver at the same time. This is a back injury waiting to happen. I wish they would put the hand crank with a wheel on all dolly's. I did use one of those Great Dane dolly's once. I was not sure what was going to give first, My heart or my back.
I like the dollies that have the springs on the axel. I prefer the Great Dane dollies. When I was in package we had the springs on the 5th wheel dollies and they just don’t ride as good as the springs on the axel. I feel that for freight that the dollies with the springs on the axel are the best ones for the job. I don’t think the new dollies that we are getting with the springs on the 5th wheel will hold up as well as the dollies with the springs on the axel. If I am in the yard and I am hooking up and I a have a choice between one of the new dollies with the springs on the 5th wheel and one with the crank handle and flat front tire I will choose the one with the crank handle.

well i heard from the shop that they are going to start lower the pintle hooks like ups has. so the dollys should work better. they are designed for this set up. the shop said they have a kit that bolts to the back of the trailer.

woodnnn said:
well i heard from the shop that they are going to start lower the pintle hooks like ups has. so the dollys should work better. they are designed for this set up. the shop said they have a kit that bolts to the back of the trailer.

I can’t see the company doing that because it will cost them too much money. One you have the cost of the kits and two the cost of labor to install the kits.

the new dollies have two problems...the tranverse leaf adds a small delay when turning corners with weight...you turn a curve and the rear, especially if it's heavy, doesn't follow in the same motion...it's only noticeable in some situations, but it will get your attention.....the other is tthe hight of the 5th wheel plate ramps....if you have a low drop to get under, you might as well strart cranking because every once in a while the spring will bow to the front instead of squatting and going under...result is a 5th wheel and springs removed the hard way...we have one in my yard that is junked outbecause of this

gater said:
I like the dollies that have the springs on the axel. I prefer the Great Dane dollies. When I was in package we had the springs on the 5th wheel dollies and they just don’t ride as good as the springs on the axel. I feel that for freight that the dollies with the springs on the axel are the best ones for the job. I don’t think the new dollies that we are getting with the springs on the 5th wheel will hold up as well as the dollies with the springs on the axel. If I am in the yard and I am hooking up and I a have a choice between one of the new dollies with the springs on the 5th wheel and one with the crank handle and flat front tire I will choose the one with the crank handle.
I agree, The new style dolly's like great dane are built to last. I would love to see a hand crank on all. Even with the flat tire.

serta said:
Pray for volvos my friend, Sterlings are the biggest P.O.S.

And I couldn't imagine using your dollies! Gotta tell you, we at RDWY have the best, but slowly they are going to be fazed out.
Serta I got a new Volvo. Which I'm sure I'll have for a while. If the Sterlings are going to be the replacement, than I'm not looking forward to it.

woodnnn said:
Well, it would make all our equipment innerchangeble. Wouldve made more sence to do it from the start with the new equipment coming in. As far as cost, looks like Overnite was long over due for new equipment anyhow.

krash said:
Well, it would make all our equipment innerchangeble. Wouldve made more sence to do it from the start with the new equipment coming in. As far as cost, looks like Overnite was long over due for new equipment anyhow.
I have seen a lot of new equipment come through. Already damaged, We never know how they got damaged. The phantom did it. But what bothers me the most is new trailers with the landing gear already bent. I hate it when you break out into a sweat trying to raise the landing gear. All because employees are to lazy to make the extra effort of raising the landing gear up enough while doing yard moves or putting your kite to the dock. How many times have you seen employee's running around the yard with the landing gear touching the ground. I normally say something to the driver, But it gets old.

BusterNite said:
I have seen a lot of new equipment come through. Already damaged, We never know how they got damaged. The phantom did it. But what bothers me the most is new trailers with the landing gear already bent. I hate it when you break out into a sweat trying to raise the landing gear. All because employees are to lazy to make the extra effort of raising the landing gear up enough while doing yard moves or putting your kite to the dock. How many times have you seen employee's running around the yard with the landing gear touching the ground. I normally say something to the driver, But it gets old.

There are times when the pups are so close together that you have to drag it far enough to get to the handle....but what bothers me the most is when you see someone dragging one,that didn't even bother hooking the air line...(which could be reached)..then you have flat spots on the tires.

those dollies won't be new for long they will look like the junk dollies that overnite already has.
they sure didn't invest any money back into the business. I guess leo got it all.