ABF | New driver trying to get hired in Chicago area

HeadRush

TB Lurker
Credits
I put in an app. with ABF two weeks ago while still in school, and received a call. The recruiter told me and a few of my classmates to get the HAZMAT process started (already had doubles & triples), and give him a call back. About 3 of us got the HAZMAT process rolling (fingerprints), and in the meantime we've finished school. I gave the ABF recruiter a call back only to find out that he was only hiring for city drivers, and that he's interviewed enough. I wanted to drive OTR, but my quesition is - if there aren't any openings now, how long does it take for a few spots to open up?

I talked to an ABF driver last week who'd only been on since April and he's made a considerable jump in seniority due to a lot of retiring drivers. Any numbers on the average amount of retirees turning in their keys?

As you may well be aware is that ABF hauls haz-mat from time to time and your complete endorsement is required. There is a great number of us who are grandfathered in the endorsement and we arerequired to get the threat assesment completed before our current license expires. The good news is that when your threat assesment is completed your application process is completed and then you can come and work for us. Welcome to the company. Look me up after you come in.
Lil Mikey
(anyone in the drivers room can find me)

Thanks

Mikey,

Thanks for the tip! I had everything done since the 10th of this month. Since this post, I've already gone done to the terminal in Saulk Village and talked to the Driver Manager. He told me that things were pretty slow this holiday season and to re-apply in January. Hopefully by then, I'll be able to look you up. Take care.

Mikey,

Thanks for the tip! I had everything done since the 10th of this month. Since this post, I've already gone done to the terminal in Saulk Village and talked to the Driver Manager. He told me that things were pretty slow this holiday season and to re-apply in January. Hopefully by then, I'll be able to look you up. Take care.
Hey there driver stay in touch with them and do not give up. Things are slow for all trucking companies. This is a goos job and a good company, Hang in there and you will get hired soon enough. I wish I started a teamster job right out of school. I would be close to retirement now.

Yellow, Roadway, and etc

I would try the other teamster companies too if I were you. I hope everything works out for you fella's!

Mikey,

Hey there driver stay in touch with them and do not give up. Things are slow for all trucking companies. This is a goos job and a good company, Hang in there and you will get hired soon enough. I wish I started a teamster job right out of school. I would be close to retirement now.

DETrob,

Thanks for the support and advice! I'll keep on them and a few of my classmates are watching for openings as well.

I would try the other teamster companies too if I were you. I hope everything works out for you fella's!

Bird-Dog,

I tried Yellow, USF, and Roadway - all aren't hiring. Well, at least aren't hiring new drivers at the moment. Did I miss any other teamster company? I don't know them all yet. Oh yeah, thanks for your support as well!

Bird-Dog,

I tried Yellow, USF, and Roadway - all aren't hiring. Well, at least aren't hiring new drivers at the moment. Did I miss any other teamster company? I don't know them all yet. Oh yeah, thanks for your support as well!

I think standard forwarding is union, but i dont think they're nmfa. they're a smaller company.

Headrush:
UPS, New Penn, DHL are all Teamsters. I am in the same senario w/ ABF and have completed the hiring process and am ready to go. Everyone appears to be SLOW unfortunately. UPS has drivers sitting and this is their season peak. Bad timing!!
Hopefully January. I have heard that ABF is a good company to work for. :Pick-Me: :shrug:
I have had other offers and I am split between starting for another company to keep behind the wheel when all my intentions are w/ ABF.

I am in the same boat. I have been hired by ABF
(drug tested,DOT physical). But they can not give me enough hours yet. I have decided that I want to work for ABF so I am just waiting and working my current driving job till the hours (at least 40) are available.

Welcome to Truckingboards JHunter and good luck with the new job.

All freight companies are now entering the slow season so things will be slow for a few months but stick with it and you'll be begging for time off in before you know it.

In the 18 years that I have worked parttime driving jobs, I have enjoyed none more that where I am at now at ABF. Even as a casual I get treated with respect. I work with a good group of people. I can't wait till the phone rings again.:funky:

I just checked the ABF website the other day, and they're still not hiring OTR drivers, however they are hiring City drivers. Does anyone know how the freight is moving in the Chicagoland area? Getting some experience driving flatbeds for TMC right now. I've only been out on the road for a week, and it's slow. Most of the time, my trainer and I are sitting around after unloading to get another load. Last week we averaged around 4 hours while other drivers averages were much higher.

HeadRush it will probably be sometime in May or June before they start doing much hiring. Hope you get to work more than you are cause I know you ain't making any money waiting and not a lot moving. Just stay safe and be very careful. The experience you are getting now will become very valuable someday.

HeadRush it will probably be sometime in May or June before they start doing much hiring. Hope you get to work more than you are cause I know you ain't making any money waiting and not a lot moving. Just stay safe and be very careful. The experience you are getting now will become very valuable someday.

May or June!?! I can't stay broke much longer. I know as a new driver I need all the experience that I can get, but as a trainee I'm not making very much. My trainer doesn't seem to be making much either - we only moved two loads this past week. We got sent out East to PA, and there wasn't much moving coming back home. I heard that only 30% of our usual customers were open during the holiday season, so that gives me a little relief. I learned that I hate driving East for a number of reasons, and definitely hate driving in the mountains.

I just checked the ABF website the other day, and they're still not hiring OTR drivers, however they are hiring City drivers. Does anyone know how the freight is moving in the Chicagoland area? Getting some experience driving flatbeds for TMC right now. I've only been out on the road for a week, and it's slow. Most of the time, my trainer and I are sitting around after unloading to get another load. Last week we averaged around 4 hours while other drivers averages were much higher.

HR, why not try for a CITY job first, before they can hire from the out side for the road, they they have to offer it to CITY people first.