New Drivers expectations?

TZ Williams

TB Lurker
Credits
Musing of an old driver!
What's with you new drivers now-a-days?
I listened to some of you fresh from school or newly hired and you seem to think your my equal as a driver and should be treated the same as me.
First let's make this clear! This is not a put down or a slap in the face type letter! Far from it, this is simply a little information you should realize with any trade or job.
Any fool can drive a nail into a board, Does that make them a Carpenter?
Anyone can put a band-aid on a cut, does that make them a Doctor?
Anyone can push a plunger into a toilet, does that make them a plumber?
I think not on all accounts?
So why would you think because you can drive a truck down the road that you are now an Truck driver?
Folks, as with any trade craft skill there are a lot of tricks and how-too's to learn before you can consider yourself an expert at it. It takes time and a lot of experiences before you reach that level. There is a whole lot more to being a trucker then just driving a truck down the road! Most any fool can do that!
Everyday I run into unhappy drivers. So first thing you need to ask yourself is -Is this a job? Or Is this a career?
If the answer is, it's a job then go home! your wasting your time out here!
If it's a career, then accept the fact that this is a way of life and you have a lot to learn before you can be thought of as an expert.
You will be much happier in the long run.
Keep in mind that this is a very large company and it will take a great deal of time and understanding on your part to establish yourself as a driver they can depend on to do the job right.
I hear drivers every day telling me who they know in Joplin. Well ain't that just impressive as hell!
It don't matter who You know in Joplin! What matter's is WHO KNOWS YOU in Joplin! And what they know about you!
So next time you think you deserve the same respect as me, Just remember after 2 million miles with this company and 30 plus years on the road, I earned it, Same as with the others who have paid their due's. And in Time and with hard work YOU will have earned it as well!
Now tell me, What makes you think your my equal??

Musing of an old driver!
What's with you new drivers now-a-days?
I listened to some of you fresh from school or newly hired and you seem to think your my equal as a driver and should be treated the same as me.
First let's make this clear! This is not a put down or a slap in the face type letter! Far from it, this is simply a little information you should realize with any trade or job.
Any fool can drive a nail into a board, Does that make them a Carpenter?
Anyone can put a band-aid on a cut, does that make them a Doctor?
Anyone can push a plunger into a toilet, does that make them a plumber?
I think not on all accounts?
So why would you think because you can drive a truck down the road that you are now an Truck driver?
Folks, as with any trade craft skill there are a lot of tricks and how-too's to learn before you can consider yourself an expert at it. It takes time and a lot of experiences before you reach that level. There is a whole lot more to being a trucker then just driving a truck down the road! Most any fool can do that!
Everyday I run into unhappy drivers. So first thing you need to ask yourself is -Is this a job? Or Is this a career?
If the answer is, it's a job then go home! your wasting your time out here!
If it's a career, then accept the fact that this is a way of life and you have a lot to learn before you can be thought of as an expert.
You will be much happier in the long run.
Keep in mind that this is a very large company and it will take a great deal of time and understanding on your part to establish yourself as a driver they can depend on to do the job right.
I hear drivers every day telling me who they know in Joplin. Well ain't that just impressive as hell!
It don't matter who You know in Joplin! What matter's is WHO KNOWS YOU in Joplin! And what they know about you!
So next time you think you deserve the same respect as me, Just remember after 2 million miles with this company and 30 plus years on the road, I earned it, Same as with the others who have paid their due's. And in Time and with hard work YOU will have earned it as well!
Now tell me, What makes you think your my equal??

Sounds great...in theory...But I with only 4 years OTR am expected to do the exact same job duties as you safely and ontime ,and the consequences I would suffer from failing to meet these expectations are no different than you , So I expect the same treatment as you since I'm held to the same sandards...Your time with the company should mean something...And it does you see it in your CPM ,But if you think that you are entitled to special treatment above other drivers ,please get over yourself .

And I had 2 1-million milers as trainers 4yrs ago ...they were less skilled than I was at 1yr experience ,So time alone does'nt in itself represent a highly skilled individual.

My husband just got a new partner to run team with, this guy has 30 years of experience. But he can't plan a trip, he can't log correctly, he wants to run by the seat of his pants and stop every 100 miles to look around! And he just got off a trainers truck because he hadn't been OTR for a year! I admire drivers that have experience and good experience, but let's face it not all experienced drivers are all the same!

Amen - I'm sure the two will work things out. I do respect the experienced drivers though and I learned from one of the best. I still use things he taught me off the road and on!

Some guys are very good after 1 year and ive seen guys withmany years that still dont have a clue. this isnt just a job its a way of life.Ive been doing this for 25yrs and still dont know it all,I may know a little more than most but again I dont know ot all.Just remember knowing how to drive doesnt make you a driver.

Sounds great...in theory...But I with only 4 years OTR am expected to do the exact same job duties as you safely and ontime ,and the consequences I would suffer from failing to meet these expectations are no different than you , So I expect the same treatment as you since I'm held to the same sandards...Your time with the company should mean something...And it does you see it in your CPM ,But if you think that you are entitled to special treatment above other drivers ,please get over yourself .

And I had 2 1-million milers as trainers 4yrs ago ...they were less skilled than I was at 1yr experience ,So time alone does'nt in itself represent a highly skilled individual.

until you made that last statement telling us how good you are,you were making sense,now iam not so sure,sorry if youre feelings just got hurt but someday you will understand what i am saying