SAIA | New England

I’d like to see that stuff work on these 9% grades and switchbacks here in the Appalachian mountains I guess they are going to program that self driving truck to put its own chains on too lol. And before someone says they will put automatic chains on them I’ll tell you right now they are worthless

I’d like to see that stuff work on these 9% grades and switchbacks here in the Appalachian mountains I guess they are going to program that self driving truck to put its own chains on too lol. And before someone says they will put automatic chains on them I’ll tell you right now they are worthless
Obviously this technology is not universal. But they will try to use it when and where they can. It comes doe to economics. Linehaul is the biggest expense at Saia. So, where your (or any other) company can reduce costs, they will. A solution toward reducing costs is through technology. Your city guys all use handheld devices for P&D. That wasn’t the case 10 years ago. You are all using ELD technology. Another cost saving and safety measure. All trucking companies who have any vision at all are looking at the next technology and how to implement. It may not affect you personally right now, but it will have an effect down the road. It’s not feasible 100% of the time (nothing is), but I would bet that it is feasible 50% of the time, and those are decent odds for success.

Obviously this technology is not universal. But they will try to use it when and where they can. It comes doe to economics. Linehaul is the biggest expense at Saia. So, where your (or any other) company can reduce costs, they will. A solution toward reducing costs is through technology. Your city guys all use handheld devices for P&D. That wasn’t the case 10 years ago. You are all using ELD technology. Another cost saving and safety measure. All trucking companies who have any vision at all are looking at the next technology and how to implement. It may not affect you personally right now, but it will have an effect down the road. It’s not feasible 100% of the time (nothing is), but I would bet that it is feasible 50% of the time, and those are decent odds for success.
I expect the technology to be very close in maybe 10 years. And that’s not a lot of time. Probably in the next 10 years the gasoline and diesel engines will start being phased out. Things are evolving faster and faster these days and by 2030 I expect electric and hydrogen to dominate the transportation industry. I will be retiring soon but I expect to be driving hydrogen technology before I pass into the next world. I have a friend with a Tesla and I never thought that technology would have evolved as quickly as it did.

Last edited: