New equipment

Discussion in 'Fedex Freight' started by Gator, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Gator

Gator Outstanding Member

They put a paper to be filled out what we would like to see on the next equipment purchase. I would like to ask anyone filling these out, we in the Midwest desperately need UN flippable placards, or the minimum 3 slide ins with the standard placard. The four would be placed in a diamond shape I would hope. If you could include this with what ever upgrade wishes you have I would appreciate. We always seem to have 3 to four placards with the amount of totes we haul and in inclimate weather they will not stick.
    Thanks

Crazy Trucker and nakedmongoose1 like this.
  2. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

If you put four in a diamond pattern and then need to use orange panels for totes, it becomes more difficult to associate a panel with a specific placard.
    Not that we do a good job when there are only two placards and one panel.

3. Gator

Gator Outstanding Member

That is true but we still need at least 3 slide ins

Richard Cranium likes this.
  4. Freight Crusher

Freight Crusher Active Member

A mechanic told me all future tractor purchases will have brake pads. No more shoes. Bye bye slack adjustors.

moose and Redracer3136 like this.
  5. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

I personally would love to see a flippable placard with the flippable UN numbers built in!! :1036316054:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    moose and citydog like this.
  6. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

A bug shield would also be nice, that way maybe there'd be less bugs on my windshield for the rain to wash off!!

7. Richard Cranium

We have brushes, soap and water for that.

8. moose

moose Active Member

Disk brakes work alot Better than the drums from what I hear.. alot less maintenance as well..

9. Richard Cranium

I certainly hope they are different than the disc brakes on an old KW cabover that I drove back from shaky city one night. Tired 318 Detroit with no jakes and 79,000 gross. It was a memorable ride.

10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Well-Known Member

They're way better, I wasn't aware of disc brakes back then I've been around wedge brakes though.

11. Freight Crusher

Freight Crusher Active Member

He said they're doing this to address their number one problem with DOT inspections. From what he was told this will be for tractors. Trailers will still have drums. I guess one step at a time.

12. Cab Lizzard

Cab Lizzard Well-Known Member

Oregon is in the process of putting in a few dyno type wheel rollers to check disc brake adjustment. $$$$

johndeere4020 likes this.
  13. johndeere4020

Checking the stopping distance?

14. Turtle

Turtle New Member

I would like to see a warning sticker on the back door of our trailers that says MAX SPEED 64 MPH.

rodedawg, Gator and Redracer3136 like this.
  15. 00mustang

00mustang JUST LIVING THE DREAM

Hi JD haven't talked to ya in awhile ,yeah it's like a chassiis dyno except instead of wheel horse power it tells how good your brakes are working. A shop over here on my side of the state has 1 in it, did it stop snowing over your way yet? sunny 70 my side stay safe

16. johndeere4020

Oh yeah, Thursday and Friday sucked weather wise and Friday I worked my rear of but it's better now. Got into the low 60's today 70's tomorrow, looks like a good week coming up.

It's amazing they can't get you for brake adjustment so now it's stopping distance, my next truck and trailer I'm going to get disc brakes on both.

17. roogie

roogie Well-Known Member

Kansas has a couple of portable brake testing units, saw one my last inspection but the Motor Carrier Inspector said they didn't have the right attachment to do doubles.

roog

johndeere4020 likes this.
  18. SwampRatt

SwampRatt Well-Known Member

Not the highest number in the fleet, or our yard, but it's always interesting to see new ones... Also nice to see Volvos still being purchased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Interior:Typical Volvo fare. Uncomplicated, straightforward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Even the gladhands are pretty nice and fancy.

[​IMG]
    Then the creme de la creme

19. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer Speedy Freightshaker #411

If that last one, edited though it may be, is legit, then congratulations!

If not, I think I speak for everyone when I say a little wishful thinking never hurt anyone.

20. SwampRatt

SwampRatt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I have to say, after one week, the Cummings/Eaton combo seems pretty good. Initial torque is enough to spin the tires, if not careful. While power delivery, at speed, is nothing to write home about, it seems suitable for my driving style/needs.

Have yet to pull a max load, in terms of weight, so that review will have to wait.

I've been pleasantly surprise by the latest Eaton auto shift. Far superior to the one in the Pete I drove previously. Having not compared this unit (back to back) to the Volvo I-shift, I'm reluctant to call it "better". I'm comfortable saying I find it equal, and perhaps better. Without a side by side comparison, it is tough to quantify. Each auto seems to have it's own personality, so your results may vary. This one seems to be set up correctly. Backing to a dock, uphill, is much improved.

Only drawback? Push button shift on the dash. We all prefer the stick on the side, but I'll get used to it. Small price to pay for returning to the superior ride/space/comfort (IMHO) of the Volvo.

More on the notable differences later...:smilie93c peelout:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017