Yellow | New Fed Ex truck

serta

TB Veteran
Credits
Not Sure if I'd like to drive one of these Single tired trucks.

R9145.jpg

xcsp said:
Serta that truck looks better than half the fleet of roadways trucks.
Yea but what happens when you blow the trie with 26000lbs on the lead and 47000lbs on the set? How do you control the unit to a stop with no tire?

Kennesaw Kid said:
Kid,
Although that link seemed like an Ad for the single tire I did get some information from it.
It seems to me that if that type of tire is going to tear up the road surface and do more dammage that a pair of reg tires I don't see the States or the Feds having a great love affair with it.
And although I see tire failure is reduced I still do not see an answer to my question. How do you control an unit with single tires when you have a blow out?

Gotta tell you, I had a pair of drive tires come off coming down a fair size hill. Thank god the first one when it came off gave me time,seconds, to prepare and get off the road safely(barely) with no one hurt.

By the way, did you read the accient post in the general forum. Guys drives came off and hit a car, injured. But he then went into the travling lane and killed some people.

Have seen some FedEx converter dollies with the super singles too.
It's the new thing ... many carriers are giving them a test, but they have been around for a while.

i just saw one on an od dolly today. first i noticed on any of their equipment. i'm with metroman. if traveling at lets say 60 mph on an interstate with a set of doubles and that tire on the dolly blows out, how am i supposed to keep from killing someone? that doesn't matter to the companies though, like the study said it costs less.

I work for fxf and know guys who had to lay down on a normal turn. When you are out in the sticks good luck trying to find a vendor with these tires.:duh:

keim trucking out of somewhere in kansas has been running these tires for a long time, they run mostly flatbed trailers. About 12 years back i can remember them running the "super singles"

screwy louiey said:
KK back in the days wasn't there a flatbed carrier that used that same concept of singles instead of duals. If I recall they were green and yellow color trucks that were out of GA. I know they went out of business but don't know if it was because of that account.

Lou

I know who you are refering to, but I cannot remember the name......Southwire out of Carrolton, GA used them back in the 80's when they had their own fleet.....KK

Pompano said:
I work for fxf and know guys who had to lay down on a normal turn. When you are out in the sticks good luck trying to find a vendor with these tires.:duh:

IF and WHEN YRCW starts to go with these tires....they have vendors all over the country and these vendors will have the tires in stock for YRCW use only......they also have tire banks stratically located in certain terminals for vendors to get tires from......KK

We run them super singles on our dollies.They have that run flat sticky stuff inside but it's my belief if you were to have a blowout,thats it, you aren't going anywhere else.Were not running them on our trucks but I have seen them on alot of truckload carriers.

i drove for keim before and now drive for od, had several blowouts with keim and would just pull to the side let the air out of the suspension and limp it on to the tire shop.
as for od, i would move several tandem dollies to get a supersingle, i hit 4 or 5 terminals a night and life is made easier with a single. just my opinion. i even ask the shop if they would put them on my truck, all i got was a strange look, but i would take them if they would offer.

screwy louiey said:
KK back in the days wasn't there a flatbed carrier that used that same concept of singles instead of duals. If I recall they were green and yellow color trucks that were out of GA. I know they went out of business but don't know if it was because of that account.

Lou

I think the truck line you are referring to was named Builders Transport. Was that it?