New Forum For construction drivers

Discussion in 'Announcements and Help' started by Traveler, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveler

Traveler Traveler from the East

I was wondering if you could start a forum for construction drivers both union and non-union. I used to be a very active member here on the boards but since I changed jobs from freight to construction I don't see much that interests me. I like the TruckingBoards and would like to be more active without feeling like I am sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong. I would like to have conversations with people that have something in common with me. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy reading and posting to the freight boards but I feel that since I've been out of freight for almost four years now that I am out of touch. Thanks for your consideration and I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks, Traveler:kicking:

2. Jeff

Jeff Administrator

Post topics in the Watering Hole and if they draw interest I will be glad to add a forum :)

3. Traveler

Will do Jeff Thanks,Traveler:TR10driving03:

4. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Wings Over the World!

Greetings Traveler,

Are not thy relocation of Construction materials a, by definition of Freight (@ #1), identical matter?
    How then can thou be of differing form and structure?
    Thou art still a Freight hauler and as such cannot be otherwise.

WE hope for thee that thy interest bears interest and therein unfolding joy and glee and fruitful information!!

CHEERS!!

5. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

Thats an interesting take CK, I believe the construction driver types consider their hauls material or machinery, not freight, I see what your saying though Cobber!!

6. Traveler

To be precise As a Heavy construction driver I may be called upon, depending on the job, to driver any of a number of vehicles from water trucks to striping trucks to end dumps to off roads to heavy haulers etc. Keeping this in mind this job has more to do do with the precise delivery and placement of the materials than the actual hauling. I just came off a job that I was at for 18 mos. where I never got the trucks over 7mph and hauled extreme oversize into very tight spaces in under and around two 300 ft. tall boilers. While I can apreciate that one would think that it is still freight the working conditions and environment is much different. The similarities with freight end as soon as the materials get to the yard get inventoried and off loaded to the laydown yards. I hope this clarified things for you Cerberus.:coffee1:

7. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

Sounds interesting Traveler, I'm looking I have thought about construction, I just don't want to be in a motel for 6 months on a job.

8. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Wings Over the World!

Traveler, 10-2, 10-4, 10-7 or 10-10. THANK YOU!!
    ----
    WHY GT, since you're single, what's the problem? You could well have lovers all over, just don't shack up.
    I've NEVER known of or met anyone who was away from home in the U.S.A. at a job site that long.
    Most I heard, MAYBE 2 months, maybe and that was a CHOICE, not mandatory.
    Your home LIFE doesn't end just because you're working a out of town construction gig and not every construction company has People staying in Hotels/Motels, as some companies have Houses, Apartments, etc.

Out of country, well, it speaks for itself.
    ----
    CHEERS!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  9. Traveler

Well I aggree with CK, just because you are out on a job working doesn't mean your home life ends. It can however put a strain on things just as being a long houl driver or freight driver can. Most of the work in my area doesn't require me to stay out more that two or three nights at a time. However there are drivers who,due to their location to the work site , will rent apartments in the nearest town and stay for a week or two at time and then go home on the weekends. We don't usually have to go out and stay out like some of the other trades such as boilermakers, Ironworkeers, electricians and pipefitters. Some of the tradesmen and women from those crafts travel all over the globe. The last job I was on we had people from all corners of the United States and Canada, and management personel from all over the world working there. Many of whom left to go to other places abroad as soon as their particular part of the work was completed. I don't think that I could do that. just pick up and go to Australiaor SouthAmerica for two years. BUt I'm married and have children. It would be great if I where single and had no children, as usually the pay for traveling is great.

1 person likes this.
  10. Stan Smith

Stan Smith Moderator

I always tell guys from my own experiences that yeah money may be great or this n that. At some point you gotta ask yourself: is this really living or just merely existing?

1 person likes this.
  11. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

Stan, you really said it!!! You must really be in touch, I have made really great money and hated life, I will remember that quote of yours from now on, I never thought to put it together like that, when I was on nights I simply existed, thats about it, my life was sleep and work, I guess CK doesn't know that I'm not single, I have a GF and she has a daughter that is a huge part of my life, I don't ever want to go back to not seeing the people I care about most, that right there is existing, having time, not money to spend with those people is truely living in my humble opinion.

12. Stan Smith

Stan Smith Moderator

Like I said its been my experience. I've made more money then I thought I ever could in this job and at my previous one. We just kinda do what we do and become one with it. I've seen the old guys hang around so long, its the only thing they got left in this world. I don't want to be one of them. I can tell you one thing when I work 65-70 hrs a week and have that one day off I'm saying this isn't living its merely existingall day long...

Recreating ourselves in this economy is the trick and the time is ticking homie. Just like that and we are the old guys who can't bend over to tie our shoes....:coffee1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.