Holland | New guy questions...

Sam L

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello,

After spending several years running around pulling an 8-axle trailer maxed out at 148,500 lbs, and only making 55k annually... It's time for change.

I recently applied for a linehaul job with Holland in Grand Rapids, even after hearing some of the negatives, like the 15% pay back.

I'm highly motivated to be a part of a union. What information can you guys give me, if any? I'm excited to work there, and willing to do what it takes to climb the ladder.

I was told I can expect to make 60-65k my first year. Is there truth to that?

Much appreciated!

I forgot to mention that I have started the application process. I've done all of the testing except for the driving test. I have a start date of September 25. It's late because I have a vacation planned. My wife would kill me if I couldn't make it.

That shouldn't be hard at all as long as you don't get laid off in the winter. They have awsome insurance and its free for you and family but really no pension to speak of nowadays.

That shouldn't be hard at all as long as you don't get laid off in the winter. They have awsome insurance and its free for you and family but really no pension to speak of nowadays.

I'll still work there regardless, but it really sucks what YRC did to USF. I've been doing a ::shit:: load of reading, and YRC sounds like a big mess.

Just curious. Is Holland the only one hiring in your area?
Why not look for some long term stability?
:popcorn:

There are a lot of the other companies hiring. I talked with a recruiter with Old Dominion, but liked Holland more. I know someone working for Holland and he seems to be reletively happy. Talking with him made me want to make the switch.

The health insurance is the big factor. I have a 7 year old son with autism. My out of pocket cost at my current job cost me nearly $8,000 per year.

Holland does have the best health insurance in the industry, but that's about where it ends. Insurance is very important to you and your family, so that's understandable.
:1036316054:

Holland does have the best health insurance in the industry, but that's about where it ends. Insurance is very important to you and your family, so that's understandable.
:1036316054:
Agree that Holland has good heath Ins. BUT it stops right there and get ready to work 60 to 70 hours week & on dock -10 below zero and 90% co-workers that are total a-holes and enjoy driving and OLD Sterling truck !

There are a lot of the other companies hiring. I talked with a recruiter with Old Dominion, but liked Holland more. I know someone working for Holland and he seems to be reletively happy. Talking with him made me want to make the switch.

The health insurance is the big factor. I have a 7 year old son with autism. My out of pocket cost at my current job cost me nearly $8,000 per year.
You need to do what you think is best for you. Go with your gut instinct

Agree that Holland has good heath Ins. BUT it stops right there and get ready to work 60 to 70 hours week & on dock -10 below zero and 90% co-workers that are total a-holes and enjoy driving and OLD Sterling truck !
He said he applied for linehaul, don't scare the guy away with lies! Just because you are unhappy there are a lot of guys who actually enjoy there jobs at Holland and make a pretty good buck doing it. SamL the loudest guys on here are always bitching about something, do not worry about driving Sterlings it won't happen on linehaul and you will work the dock very little. Good Luck!! Also 90 percent of the guys are great guys and will help you anytime you need it....the other ten percent well that is anywhere!

He said he applied for linehaul, don't scare the guy away with lies! Just because you are unhappy there are a lot of guys who actually enjoy there jobs at Holland and make a pretty good buck doing it. SamL the loudest guys on here are always bitching about something, do not worry about driving Sterlings it won't happen on linehaul and you will work the dock very little. Good Luck!! Also 90 percent of the guys are great guys and will help you anytime you need it....the other ten percent well that is anywhere!

I appreciate that comment. It's been my experience in trucking that most people are nice and willing to help.

I don't mind working my ass off. I hauled hogs for 3 years, working 90-100 hours weekly with a large hog farm. But, I do have a family. What can I expect as far as home time?

I heard Holland has a reputation for slaughtering the new guys. That's fine! I'd just like to know ahead of time.

I don't mind working my ass off. I hauled hogs for 3 years, working 90-100 hours weekly with a large hog farm. But, I do have a family. What can I expect as far as home time?

I heard Holland has a reputation for slaughtering the new guys. That's fine! I'd just like to know ahead of time.
I always tell guys the only thing you can expect is the unexpected! I know new guys out of my barn that you talk to and they are running their asses off and then you talk to them a month later and they wish they could get more miles. You just can't predict these guys, usually you can figure on more miles and hours towards the end of the month but lots of the time it is just being in the right place at the right time. About the only thing I could guess is that the odds of getting too many hours is probably greater than not getting enough. The union steward at the GR barn might be able to tell you how many hours the new guys have been getting. I know GR use to have a steward by the name of Brian, he worked JO last winter, I don't know if anyone has a phone for him? Really good guy, straight shooter with lots of knowledge, I want to say his last name is Miles but I could be off on that, would be a good guy to talk to.

I always tell guys the only thing you can expect is the unexpected! I know new guys out of my barn that you talk to and they are running their asses off and then you talk to them a month later and they wish they could get more miles. You just can't predict these guys, usually you can figure on more miles and hours towards the end of the month but lots of the time it is just being in the right place at the right time. About the only thing I could guess is that the odds of getting too many hours is probably greater than not getting enough. The union steward at the GR barn might be able to tell you how many hours the new guys have been getting. I know GR use to have a steward by the name of Brian, he worked JO last winter, I don't know if anyone has a phone for him? Really good guy, straight shooter with lots of knowledge, I want to say his last name is Miles but I could be off on that, would be a good guy to talk to.

I'll have to have a chat with him. I really don't mind long hours. I'd just like to have a day with my family.

You guys obviously get mileage and hourly when not rolling. Are there other ways you're able to make money? I've read a comment that someone said "miles aren't everything." That must mean you can make decent money doing more than driving?

Line haul don't have to drive the old trucks ?? Really , guess you better walk out and re-look at the old Severe Beat up Volvo's and Internationals and yes even a few Sterling's yet too !

You guys obviously get mileage and hourly when not rolling. Are there other ways you're able to make money? I've read a comment that someone said "miles aren't everything." That must mean you can make decent money doing more than driving?
Holland is not a bad job. Unfortunately we have some losers who either still work here or have moved on but still troll our board.

Eh, i'm still seeing quite a few ex-Yellow Sterlings out here at night, so to say it won't happen on line haul wouldn't necessarily be true.