XPO | New Guy

Jaycee

TB Lurker
Credits
So I just started with Con-way last week. Ran line haul because I guess that's what they need the most. Let me just say, the whole dock working process is.....different and quite intimidating especially with a new person just learning.

I trained in Indy for 4 long, information filled days. I work in a barn with like 40 doors and went to Indy and was like...holy crap! I guess (in our region) indy isn't the biggest, I'm thinking, you can't get much bigger than this, wrong, I guess LaSalle has 230ish doors. I'm sure there are bigger elsewhere.

I start on my own tomorrow, and to be honest i'm extremely nervous with working the dock, using the scanner etc. Mainly just afraid of screwing up. I'm not afraid of asking questions. Thankfully most of the people i've ran into have been incredibly helpful. Although I have gotten some looks, like "ugh, another new guy" or "MOVE" lol

Anyone have any advice for a new guy starting on his own? (other than, leave, run, find a new job etc)

So I just started with Con-way last week. Ran line haul because I guess that's what they need the most. Let me just say, the whole dock working process is.....different and quite intimidating especially with a new person just learning.

I trained in Indy for 4 long, information filled days. I work in a barn with like 40 doors and went to Indy and was like...holy crap! I guess (in our region) indy isn't the biggest, I'm thinking, you can't get much bigger than this, wrong, I guess LaSalle has 230ish doors. I'm sure there are bigger elsewhere.

I start on my own tomorrow, and to be honest i'm extremely nervous with working the dock, using the scanner etc. Mainly just afraid of screwing up. I'm not afraid of asking questions. Thankfully most of the people i've ran into have been incredibly helpful. Although I have gotten some looks, like "ugh, another new guy" or "MOVE" lol

Anyone have any advice for a new guy starting on his own? (other than, leave, run, find a new job etc)

Don't be a hero. Stay out of the way. Be friendly. The rest mostly takes care of itself. You can't get out until all your freight gets there anyway.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Other drivers or the fos should be able to get you going. Just remember to dock everything you don't load, and do your exceptions properly. For a new guy, I found that if you scan your door, and go to list pro's, you can see the cube left to load and what doors the freight is coming out of. Good luck. You will be fine. It takes time to absorb everything. Just be safe , and don't rush hooking and breaking.

just work at your own pace dont let anyone push you to go faster and remember there are many people who have been here for years and cant do any better than the new guy

You will be fine, was over there 5years and ran to a FAC my first year and worked dock. Had guy with 25 plus years take me under his wings and teach me a lot. Hopefully you will meet someone the same. But at end your shift it will all work out you will get more and more comfortable. Good luck to you driver. At the end of the day LTL is the place to be!

Lots of the other guys you will be with haven't been around all that long either, so don't let them push you around. Also, I have found that some of the dock workers can be friendlier than the other drivers. Some of them are pretty good to work with.

Well I made it one week. Body is getting used to working 3rds. Working the dock is starting to make sense. Trying not to give myself to hard of a time...only been doing it a week. People here couldn't be any nicer. I just try to stay out of the way, work at a pace that I'm comfortable with and be safe. Getting a little quicker at hooking sets too, I double/ triple check everything, I'm always paranoid of the back box randomly falling off lol. Everything else is going great...thanks all for the kind words!

Well I made it one week. Body is getting used to working 3rds. Working the dock is starting to make sense. Trying not to give myself to hard of a time...only been doing it a week. People here couldn't be any nicer. I just try to stay out of the way, work at a pace that I'm comfortable with and be safe. Getting a little quicker at hooking sets too, I double/ triple check everything, I'm always paranoid of the back box randomly falling off lol. Everything else is going great...thanks all for the kind words!

Stick with it. A lot of people like to complain. But you'll see them all again tomorrow.

Still at it! Got my first couple line haul checks, pretty awesome. Went to Salem all week this past week. That is a good place for a new guy to learn the ropes imo. Indy's nice too but I hardly get to go there. Went to LaSalle once a couple weeks ago, that place is a freakin mad house! No room for anything lol. Also broke down on my way home from there, it was cold, heat wouldn't work, and had to sit on an off ramp for about 3 hours, that was a long day. If I had a complaint it would be some of the trucks, they just don't seem like they have much power, not that big of a deal but oh well. It is what it is. Had one guy at my barn asked how I was doing, told him "I'm living the dream" sarcastically, apparently he didn't catch the sarcasm and he was like "OH MAN, THEY GOT YOU DRINKIN THE KOOLAID!" Just kinda played it off as nothing. I'm getting paid, my wife is able to stay home and take care of my 2 young boys, life is just fine. Enough rambling!

Still at it! Got my first couple line haul checks, pretty awesome. Went to Salem all week this past week. That is a good place for a new guy to learn the ropes imo. Indy's nice too but I hardly get to go there. Went to LaSalle once a couple weeks ago, that place is a freakin mad house! No room for anything lol. Also broke down on my way home from there, it was cold, heat wouldn't work, and had to sit on an off ramp for about 3 hours, that was a long day. If I had a complaint it would be some of the trucks, they just don't seem like they have much power, not that big of a deal but oh well. It is what it is. Had one guy at my barn asked how I was doing, told him "I'm living the dream" sarcastically, apparently he didn't catch the sarcasm and he was like "OH MAN, THEY GOT YOU DRINKIN THE KOOLAID!" Just kinda played it off as nothing. I'm getting paid, my wife is able to stay home and take care of my 2 young boys, life is just fine. Enough rambling!
Good for you! Your approaching things the right way. Ignore the bs and the drama, do your job safely and to the best of your ability, and you will be fine.

:6799::6792:

No I don't, but you should really go to any other LTL company where there isn't so much B/S!:6792::6788::17113::17:

Good stuff, Jaycee! That 'fear' of the back box slipping off has awakened me a lot of nights, and I've been doing this a while...and in a triples state no less. I'm an ex-CF guy and have my opinions about the place, naturally. Keep the right 'mind' and you'll do fine. Drive safe!

You are in good hands with conway . Trust the good hands people. They will not steer you wrong. One word of wisdom, steer clear of the koolaid.... a powerful brew indeed. Drive fast, take lots of chances, you will be fine....

Keep your eye on the prize worked in the food service biz for 25 years took a toll on my body came over to conway never looked back have no complaints about this job hear lots of complaints from guys about this job wish I had come over a long time ago this is the eaisist job good pay sure something's could be better I put in around 17 hrs a nite and I love my job couldn't say that before yea I left a great paying job had all the goodies people here complain they lost here we lost them there too still get a pension at 55 if I want or wait to 65 lost 6 week vacation but would do it again to work a job where I liked coming to work every day it's not conway job to make me happy or to save me it's my job just take your time double then triple check your hooks be careful ask lots of questions bunch of good people here at conway I just about to hit my 1year mark God bless and appreciate the opportunity this company has afforded your family.

Man....what a day I had Friday. It was one of those days that you just want to forget about, so I'm going to do the next best thing.....tell the internet about it lol...

I get the call from my dispatcher, "hey man, 1 of 1 to indy" I'm thinking, sweet...early day! Get to work, find the truck I'm taking, hook up trailers, everything going great! Get to driving, can't keep the freakin set in my lane. Wasn't tired, didn't seem like it was too windy, just weaving....a lot....no explanation. Brush it off jeff...no big deal. Get to indy, break set, nothing new. Was circling the building to park my truck/dolly, truck wanted to chug and lurch the whole way around the building, didn't matter what gear I was in.. oh well.

Get inside, punch in, get a lift, ask my sector leader some questions, then get at it. Was looking around my dock area to see what I have so far, where am I gonna put stuff, pretty much get a game plan. Okay....start loading, and stuff starts going crazy, I start getting freight from left and right, normally that's great! Get your stuff, load it, go home! I couldn't keep up! "hey Danville, I get 6 of these, 8 of these 9 of these" Holy "s" word! So, whatever, start cleaning my area, loading my stuff. Leader comes up to me and says "want to do a drop/hook to Columbus" I said sure.. Hook set, do paperwork etc, no big deal. Get to my exit, couldn't find my turn, pull a couple u-turns, pull over, pull it up on google maps, find it, drop, hook, head back....awesome! I-65 north between Columbus and indy is an incredibly bumpy, frustrating road.

Anywho. Get to indy, drop set, all my trailers are full, sweet! Hook and go. So I'm leaving the fac on my way to the interstate, well, I'm not sure what happened but I missed my turn, have to stop, pull another U-turn, back in the right direction. Pull up to a stop light, turns green, try to put her in gear and go, but no...didn't want to go into gear, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. DAMNIT JEFF, forgot to flip the splitter switch, such a new guy lol... So finally get going, coming up to the spot in the road where I turn on to I-70 east. There are 4 lanes 2 are turn lanes and 2 keep going straight, well in between these lanes is a small raised concrete median, no more than a couple inches tall, but tall enough to really get your back box dancing when you hit it. I swear to the good Lord above, that box was coming over. I knew it was there and I knew it was coming up, I just....hit it...of course I'm going to get a coaching now, on how to NOT hit raised concrete medians. The Sysco driver behind me was prolly laughing his butt off. Finally make it back to our barn with no further incidents. Get home tell my wife and kids I love them very much and then went to bed lol. Thanks for listening!

Man....what a day I had Friday. It was one of those days that you just want to forget about, so I'm going to do the next best thing.....tell the internet about it lol...

I get the call from my dispatcher, "hey man, 1 of 1 to indy" I'm thinking, sweet...early day! Get to work, find the truck I'm taking, hook up trailers, everything going great! Get to driving, can't keep the freakin set in my lane. Wasn't tired, didn't seem like it was too windy, just weaving....a lot....no explanation. Brush it off jeff...no big deal. Get to indy, break set, nothing new. Was circling the building to park my truck/dolly, truck wanted to chug and lurch the whole way around the building, didn't matter what gear I was in.. oh well.

Get inside, punch in, get a lift, ask my sector leader some questions, then get at it. Was looking around my dock area to see what I have so far, where am I gonna put stuff, pretty much get a game plan. Okay....start loading, and stuff starts going crazy, I start getting freight from left and right, normally that's great! Get your stuff, load it, go home! I couldn't keep up! "hey Danville, I get 6 of these, 8 of these 9 of these" Holy "s" word! So, whatever, start cleaning my area, loading my stuff. Leader comes up to me and says "want to do a drop/hook to Columbus" I said sure.. Hook set, do paperwork etc, no big deal. Get to my exit, couldn't find my turn, pull a couple u-turns, pull over, pull it up on google maps, find it, drop, hook, head back....awesome! I-65 north between Columbus and indy is an incredibly bumpy, frustrating road.

Anywho. Get to indy, drop set, all my trailers are full, sweet! Hook and go. So I'm leaving the fac on my way to the interstate, well, I'm not sure what happened but I missed my turn, have to stop, pull another U-turn, back in the right direction. Pull up to a stop light, turns green, try to put her in gear and go, but no...didn't want to go into gear, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. DAMNIT JEFF, forgot to flip the splitter switch, such a new guy lol... So finally get going, coming up to the spot in the road where I turn on to I-70 east. There are 4 lanes 2 are turn lanes and 2 keep going straight, well in between these lanes is a small raised concrete median, no more than a couple inches tall, but tall enough to really get your back box dancing when you hit it. I swear to the good Lord above, that box was coming over. I knew it was there and I knew it was coming up, I just....hit it...of course I'm going to get a coaching now, on how to NOT hit raised concrete medians. The Sysco driver behind me was prolly laughing his butt off. Finally make it back to our barn with no further incidents. Get home tell my wife and kids I love them very much and then went to bed lol. Thanks for listening!
Great story, Jaycee! Hang in there, brother! Your time at the FAC sounds about right...freight coming in from all angles.

I hate those nights when I just can't find the right way to get somewhere.

Just Remember if you have to haul double's in the snow it's like dancing with a big girl "don't make and sudden moves and watch where you put your feet"