XPO | New Guy

And what are the names of these said places...?. We seem to be at the top of the pay scale/income for LTL companies, of course that's due to the dock hours, but what other companies offer anything more or better than XPO...? Again, dock hours notwithstanding...

I make the same money working less hours at Saia, never touch a forklift, and the insurance is about $30 a week cheaper for MUCH BETTER coverage.

I have about 6 friends that left Con-Way for OD that are also in the same situation. Although their insurance costs about the same but the coverage is still better.

The difference is, we run big miles, you spend big hours on a forklift. I'm very good on a forklift and actually use to like working the dock, but it didn't take long for Con-Way to ruin that.

I'm a truck driver ... Not a dock worker. Any company that forces their drivers to work the dock sucks IMO. OD and SAIA doesn't ... It's not always about the money for me. It's about me enjoying my job. I like driving. I can't stand dock work.
Thanks for sharing.....

Thanks for sharing.....
Your Welcome, I'm not here to bash XPO ... After all the business model they use has built a big empire. They are one of the top dogs. I'm not saying I'm too good to drive a forklift either but I am saying I prefer not to. Some guys don't mind and enjoy the extra money and I say more power to them. You can't knock a man just trying to make some extra cash. I just rather pull an extra line haul run on the weekend or work a little extra on the streets. XPO is like Central Transport in regards to drivers being forced to work the dock but not much else is the same about these two companies. When a driver accepts the terms of XPO in regards to working the dock then that's on him. He should have nothing to bitch about because he knew that going in. That's just one of the reasons I never have applied at XPO. I've never worked at XPO so I can't speak about the working environment. But if what I've read on some of these threads here at XPO is any indication of what goes on here at this company it's a good thing I landed where I did. I would have never lasted here. To each their own. Good day, gentleman.

Last edited:
I'm a truck driver ... Not a dock worker. Any company that forces their drivers to work the dock sucks IMO. OD and SAIA doesn't ... It's not always about the money for me. It's about me enjoying my job. I like driving. I can't stand dock work.
Sounds to me like your bashing our place. In your other post you compare us to CT and in this one you said our place "sucks" and that is not very flattering. What do I know, I drive a truck and a forklift to earn my living "$83k last year". Any job where a man with no education that can earn that kind of living for his family honestly sounds like a terrible place. I am going to go and apply over at Saia or maybe OD today because its all good over there and I am being treated very poorly because my employer asks me to operate a forklift. Have a nice day and a safe trip.

Sounds to me like your bashing our place. In your other post you compare us to CT and in this one you said our place "sucks" and that is not very flattering. What do I know, I drive a truck and a forklift to earn my living "$83k last year". Any job where a man with no education that can earn that kind of living for his family honestly sounds like a terrible place. I am going to go and apply over at Saia or maybe OD today because its all good over there and I am being treated very poorly because my employer asks me to operate a forklift. Have a nice day and a safe trip.
I used that comparison to compare only the business model of being forced to work the dock. I guess you didn't read the other part. You seem a bit thin skinned ... Geez !!! .... Even my place sucks at times. Nothing is perfect. If your happy that's all that matters. Don't concern yourself with what others think. I'm just voicing my opinion because after all that's what TB is supposed to be about. It would really suck if every one thought the same. Drive on.

I'm right there with you...100 percent.

I make the same money working less hours at Saia, never touch a forklift, and the insurance is about $30 a week cheaper for MUCH BETTER coverage.

I have about 6 friends that left Con-Way for OD that are also in the same situation. Although their insurance costs about the same but the coverage is still better.

The difference is, we run big miles, you spend big hours on a forklift. I'm very good on a forklift and actually use to like working the dock, but it didn't take long for Con-Way to ruin that.

Good to know....

I'm right there with you...100 percent.
After working 10-12 hours in the city dealing with the urban traffic and outward and inward facing cameras that continually reminds you to increase your following distance causing you to constantly back off. It's urban warfare I feel at times. These cameras are a great learning tool but they are not without issues in urban traffic. No sooner than I back off here comes another fool jumping in front of me ... Even paradise has a glitch or two. My point is after all I have to deal with in the city the last thing I want to do is work the dock when I get in. That's just me. I bet if you took a vote at least 90% of city drivers would prefer not to work the dock.

I hear Midol will help with your cramps.

I used that comparison to compare only the business model of being forced to work the dock. I guess you didn't read the other part. You seem a bit thin skinned ... Geez !!! .... Even my place sucks at times. Nothing is perfect. If your happy that's all that matters. Don't concern yourself with what others think. I'm just voicing my opinion because after all that's what TB is supposed to be about. It would really suck if every one thought the same. Drive on.
You are 100% correct Train. My apologies for taking it to heart. Have a great weekend and a safe trip wherever you go.

And what are the names of these said places...?. We seem to be at the top of the pay scale/income for LTL companies, of course that's due to the dock hours, but what other companies offer anything more or better than XPO...? Again, dock hours notwithstanding...
Well in my area OD and FedEx pay more per hour than XPO I think its like 2 bucks more and less if no dock work

After working 10-12 hours in the city dealing with the urban traffic and outward and inward facing cameras that continually reminds you to increase your following distance causing you to constantly back off. It's urban warfare I feel at times. These cameras are a great learning tool but they are not without issues in urban traffic. No sooner than I back off here comes another fool jumping in front of me ... Even paradise has a glitch or two. My point is after all I have to deal with in the city the last thing I want to do is work the dock when I get in. That's just me. I bet if you took a vote at least 90% of city drivers would prefer not to work the dock.
Its after 10hrs being forced to work the dock. Let's see last week start at 9am everyday 2hrs on the inbound dock then on the street till about 1900 then 3 more hours on outbound and did that for 5 days. When I work for AF years ago I started at 8 and in 5 years I can count on two hands how many times I was forced to work the dock and in 5 yrs I can count on one hand how many logs I filled out for working over 12 hrs. XPO exec's need to take a good long look at why they can't get drivers here's a hint driver don't like dock work.

If you buy a convertible and you knew it was a convertible - then it's on you if you don't like a convertible. It seems silly to say GM or Ford or whoever needs to stop making them.

I criticize management a lot but I can't blame them for drivers working the dock - it's who Con-way was and who XPO Logistics is. Almost every driver knew that coming in the door.

The problem I see is the half-assery that seems to come from the top over the years. Hire dock workers ( but not enough to change to no drivers working the dock )

If you buy a convertible and you knew it was a convertible - then it's on you if you don't like a convertible. It seems silly to say GM or Ford or whoever needs to stop making them.

I criticize management a lot but I can't blame them for drivers working the dock - it's who Con-way was and who XPO Logistics is. Almost every driver knew that coming in the door.

The problem I see is the half-assery that seems to come from the top over the years. Hire dock workers ( but not enough to change to no drivers working the dock )
It's the primary reason XPO will continue to have turnover problems. It appears that dock working drivers are part of their business model and they are willing to pay the associated cost. While true you know that going in you would think that common sense would prevail and they would make this practice voluntary. Turnover cost millions each year in training and accidents. It also keeps them from getting the best applicants because most know dock work is required.

It's the primary reason XPO will continue to have turnover problems. It appears that dock working drivers are part of their business model and they are willing to pay the associated cost. While true you know that going in you would think that common sense would prevail and they would make this practice voluntary. Turnover cost millions each year in training and accidents. It also keeps them from getting the best applicants because most know dock work is required.
They won't change. Yet. I sure hope they consider changing their minds.

As most companies do, they sell the new applicants a bunch of b.s. during the interviews.
They will advertise as "a few" hours on the dock being normal. But it ends up being 3-5 hours per day/night.

Count me in that 90%. I hate the dock after a MONSTER day in the city, which is everyday at our perpetually-understaffed terminal. I'm finally at a spot now where I don't have to do it.