ABF | New Hire Advice

I dunno. ABF understands one thing more than anything else...THEIR WAY. I would not have denied that request but it is your decision not mine. If you don't hear from them asking annoying questions in the near future you know what happened.

On another note, I do not think that most of ABF's employees want to be road drivers. Road driver is a good paying job but it comes with its hitches. Mostly nighttime work, work you to death...from what I hear time off is hard to come by, to the extent that it has deterred my interest even with the bigger check.

So I'm suppose to sit around twiddling my thumbs after they contact my current employer asking about me, which now ends my current employment, with no guarantee that I will be employed by them? If so, not the company I want to work for.

So I'm suppose to sit around twiddling my thumbs after they contact my current employer asking about me, which now ends my current employment, with no guarantee that I will be employed by them? If so, not the company I want to work for.

Life is full of risk. If they are wanting to contact your current employer, that's a good sign from ABF.

I hear ya there and I agree with Stoney (which does not happen very often).

Please don't tell anyone/everyone, I'd be stigmatized for life.

I'll do my best to keep quiet.

Not me!

y8y5edej.jpg

Mr. Dieselgeek, I would add that ABF is particular about who they hire.....as are most Companies that offer the type of pay and benefit level that ABF does....for example UPS...If they asked for permission to contact a current or former employer I personally would have released permission to do so...especially if that was the Job I was most interested in...Looking at it from the Company's perspective, they are trying to find the best possible candidate for the position...part of that vetting process may involve contacting a current employer for reasons that I'm sure you understand. Denying access to that information may be interpreted as your having something to hide..... even if that may not be the case...

Mr Stoney is right in his statement about life's risks.... and the fact that it's a good sign that they want to contact your employer....The ABF hiring process may be different than what you have been exposed to in the past.....The Hiring process of the Company that I started with ..going back some years now.. was very different from other Companies previous to that...as it may be with ABF currently... just something to consider....
I don't understand why your current employer would arbitrarily dismiss you for such a reason as having been contacted by a perspective employer... If they are of that sort...that is the Company that I would not want to work for...Which underscores the value of being employed by a good Union Company such as ABF.

As I stated previously, Best of luck to you going forward..!

Mr. Dieselgeek, I would add that ABF is particular about who they hire.....as are most Companies that offer the type of pay and benefit level that ABF does....for example UPS...If they asked for permission to contact a current or former employer I personally would have released permission to do so...especially if that was the Job I was most interested in...Looking at it from the Company's perspective, they are trying to find the best possible candidate for the position...part of that vetting process may involve contacting a current employer for reasons that I'm sure you understand. Denying access to that information may be interpreted as your having something to hide..... even if that may not be the case...

Mr Stoney is right in his statement about life's risks.... and the fact that it's a good sign that they want to contact your employer....The ABF hiring process may be different than what you have been exposed to in the past.....The Hiring process of the Company that I started with ..going back some years now.. was very different from other Companies previous to that...as it may be with ABF currently... just something to consider....
I don't understand why your current employer would arbitrarily dismiss you for such a reason as having been contacted by a perspective employer... If they are of that sort...that is the Company that I would not want to work for...Which underscores the value of being employed by a good Union Company such as ABF.

As I stated previously, Best of luck to you going forward..!

The issue is that I work for a small company (6 employees), so having them contact my boss/owner could be negative for me in the time being. I don't know what his reaction would be, and don't want to provide a 2 week notice without an official offer. It may have been the wrong response, only time will tell. I will say I did an internet search on how to respond to the request, and nearly 100% of the responses were to deny the request.

I would take the chance to go to abf if i was in your shoes. Even in good times the ltl industry hires and laysoff new hires. This is normal ur first year or 2 . U will regret it later if u pass it up imho. Years later u will say i could off just sucked it up for a year or 2. All of us in the ltl field have been there its nothing personal and no body here has a crystal ball. So i guess u gotta make that up in ur mind before/if u get that call that they want u .

The issue is that I work for a small company (6 employees), so having them contact my boss/owner could be negative for me in the time being. I don't know what his reaction would be, and don't want to provide a 2 week notice without an official offer. It may have been the wrong response, only time will tell. I will say I did an internet search on how to respond to the request, and nearly 100% of the responses were to deny the request.

You know your employer and circumstances better than any of us... So I'm sure your doing what you feel is best for you....I have not personally been in your situation, so I couldn't say what I'd do...I never thought to search the web for that advice... I wonder what logic they sited as to the reason to deny the request... I hope it all works out in your favor.

You know your employer and circumstances better than any of us... So I'm sure your doing what you feel is best for you....I have not personally been in your situation, so I couldn't say what I'd do...I never thought to search the web for that advice... I wonder what logic they sited as to the reason to deny the request... I hope it all works out in your favor.
Yea, you seem like a decent guy.

:popcorn:

Chicago Ridge 301

Just ask yourself if you wanna work with drones like ABFer and Canary who are intent on killing this great company. And remember union brotherhood doesn't exsist.
You'll have those who preach brotherhood, but the second you turn around they will stab you in the back. Or say something they don't agree with, and watch brotherhood go out the window.

The union has become a joke. Its really kinda sad.

Thats a fact !