ABF | New Hire Advice

Thinking of hauling fuel actually...

I think stoney scared this guy away. He will have some stories to tell his fuel haulin' buddies about his short term attempt at becoming a teamster freight hauler. Yeah yeah i know ,stoney ,you were only telling the truth, too bad this guy had to see this thread hijacked , like usual, when he was trying to get info about the company, which ,by the way ,we all agree that A.B.F. is a good company to work for. ....the poor guy never had a chance....

I think stoney scared this guy away. He will have some stories to tell his fuel haulin' buddies about his short term attempt at becoming a teamster freight hauler. Yeah yeah i know ,stoney ,you were only telling the truth, too bad this guy had to see this thread hijacked , like usual, when he was trying to get info about the company, which ,by the way ,we all agree that A.B.F. is a good company to work for. ....the poor guy never had a chance....

Ya its my fault ( eyes rolling ).

I haven't turned in my 2 week notice yet... nor have I signed anything for a new job... Still weighing options. I have an official offer to haul fuel... Nothing from ABF thus far.

Fuel oil does unload itself. My tanker buddies have better backs than I do.

That is a big part of the decision actually... I would unload at 3-5 stations a day. Winter time makes it less enjoyable, along with rainy days, but I enjoy working outside. Another big thing for me is consistent stable hours year round. 48-60 hours a week, every week! What are the hours worked by most here? I can't afford to be on lay offs, or only working 2-3 days a week during the slow freight months... I think most in here have a fair amount of seniority, so may be a bit skewed. But working your way up the board, did you work a consistent schedule year round? I fully understand the great pay/benefits/pension, but I don't want to get a part time job during the slow months for years at a time...

The Air traffic controllers were put in a position that they had to break the law, and they did it with the assumed assurance that President Reagan wouldn't enforce that particular law , as they had heavily donated to his campaign. Read your history. I believe we're a little off- subject here. Brother DieselGeek is trying to make an important decision, and has asked us for advice. Don't you have a site of your own, Stoney, where you can pontificate all you want?

ya not to get on anyones bad side but this thread got highjaked like terrorist style man . not bad post but they should relate to his hiring or not hiring at abf :tumbleweed:

It did, but we got back on track.

Stoney,

I have no issues with you... I appreciate all the advice, side tracks, etc that have gone on in this thread thus far... To be honest, I enjoy the bickering at times, makes it seem more like a family actually!

Stoney,

I have no issues with you... I appreciate all the advice, side tracks, etc that have gone on in this thread thus far... To be honest, I enjoy the bickering at times, makes it seem more like a family actually!

Yes we are like a family and stoney is our left leaning liberal "bastard child" . And yes, we do enjoy the bickering. We are all guilty of getting the thread off track,but then like stoney said, we get back on track, good luck to you whatever you choose. I'm here in the northeast and the guys behind me on the call board are not getting full weeks. 2-3 day weeks.freight levels have been very low here.

Ever try swinging hoses for a living? When a tank pressures up, which is often, one has to lift a fuel hose full of gas. That is easily 200 to 300 hundred pounds depending on how long the hose. Not to mention the exposure of benzine which causes cancer. I don't know of too many guys that retire from fuel hauling, rather fuel hauling retires them.

I have done both jobs and ABF is the place to be once our contract gets signed. Until then, delay, delay, delay.

Ever try swinging hoses for a living? When a tank pressures up, which is often, one has to lift a fuel hose full of gas. That is easily 200 to 300 hundred pounds depending on how long the hose. Not to mention the exposure of benzine which causes cancer. I don't know of too many guys that retire from fuel hauling, rather fuel hauling retires them.

I have done both jobs and ABF is the place to be once our contract gets signed. Until then, delay, delay, delay.

I don't know the extent of the physical nature required to drop fuel, but I most like the stability of the job... I continue to hear about how great ABF is to work for, and not making my decision any easier! I am not a pro or anti-union guy, so not sure what to do... I don't know how long I can delay my decision telling the fuel company whether or not I'll take the job... I plan on calling the ABF terminal Monday to ask about the status of my application.

I think you'll find that the terminal knows less about your status than you do. It is in the hands of The Fort until their decision is made.