XPO | New Hire First Time Driver

Beshambre

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys I need some feedback on working for XPO.

Any answers will be helpful.

What hours should I expected to work?
What is a job bid?
How many days per week will I work?
How many hours per day will I work
How long can you be forced to drive?
What is the cpm pay rate?

Where in the country are you. These answers vary on region and location.

The answers in Columbus, Ohio are as follows.

A lot of hours. 60-70.
You'll be on the flex to start. Will alternate between days and nights as needed.
5 or 6 we don't work Sunday usually. There is a sign up sheet for Saturday. Depends how much work there is.
Maximum hours a day is 14. If you need picked up you will get paid until you are off the clock.
I think cpm is 65.3. I am in the city this year. That's close.

We are losing drivers right now. They are all going to UPS. UPS is automating the Trabue Rd terminal in the same fashion that they did to their terminal in Louisville. When it's done they will double their package count. So feeder driver head count will double as well. At least, that's what happened in Louisville. So that's what they expect here. So I am told.

Mid Atlantic
50 plus hrs a week
Same thing ,you will work flex board Days and nights both dependent on need .
Daytime start could be anywhere from 3 am till 2 pm with only 2 hr notice.
Should work everyday at current business levels but will vary in slow periods.
Hourly / mileage rates vary through out country but it will take time to get to top pay rate through yearly progression.

Some advice
Keep track of your hours for pay accuracy.

Don't rush and play everything safe/ biggest ticket out the door is to accident out.

Ask questions and make no assumptions .Company policy doesn't always follow fairness or common logic.

Show up for work on time

Good luck and welcome aboard

What is a job bid?
Everything else has been answered, a bid is a position. Even if there isn’t one open, you will fill out a bid sheet. You need to decide what you prefer. If your goal is a city position, city should be your first choice. If it’s linehaul, then that should be your first choice. It’s critical to remember to bid what you want, not what’s available. Things change quick. And get a copy of your bid sheet after it’s aporoved by the TM.

What is a job bid?

You got some great answers. Final piece of advice, If you're not 100% sure...ask! In the south, hours are scarce and you'll be lucky to get 40, especially in your first year. Stay with it and good luck.

Where in the country are you. These answers vary on region and location.

The answers in Columbus, Ohio are as follows.

A lot of hours. 60-70.
You'll be on the flex to start. Will alternate between days and nights as needed.
5 or 6 we don't work Sunday usually. There is a sign up sheet for Saturday. Depends how much work there is.
Maximum hours a day is 14. If you need picked up you will get paid until you are off the clock.
I think cpm is 65.3. I am in the city this year. That's close.

We are losing drivers right now. They are all going to UPS. UPS is automating the Trabue Rd terminal in the same fashion that they did to their terminal in Louisville. When it's done they will double their package count. So feeder driver head count will double as well. At least, that's what happened in Louisville. So that's what they expect here. So I am told.

I'm in Indiana

I'm in Indiana

Gary, South Bend and Fremont are nightmares. You will wrestle triples all up and down the toll road and they all have very small city service areas. It's all about rolling that freight on the pike. And the weather coming off that lake. Forget it.

Guys out of the smaller terminals. Columbus, Evansville, Richmond, etc. seem happier with their jobs. But experience more fluctuations in freight and so work is not as stable.

Indianapolis is a monster. Very large volume city service. Very large volume break bulk.