ABF | new hire process questions

yankatank

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello all, I applied to the Kernersville, NC Road Driver position. Took right less than 24 hours before I got an e-mail from them asking to do a background check, saying I would be a qualified 'fit' for the position I applied for. Not too worried about background check as it's very clean, even MVR! Few questions though, does it take about 1 month or so(like most LTL companies) to hear back from them for interview, physical/etc? Are you allowed to 'vape' in the truck when driving. I know weird question, but most companies(LTL) are moving away from tobacco use(however vape isn't tobacco). Do you get your own assigned tractor or is it slip seat every week? on extra board, is your schedule set, like most LTL companies, you leave out on (ex) wed. and return home on Mon for restart? Do you make/break all of your sets or do some terminals do that for you? Thank you for your time, I'm sure I might have more questions later on. Oh, what kind of 'elog' do you use...peoplenet/quallcomm/some other system I've probably never used? haha I'm familiar with p/n and q/c.

For a linehaul driver, Im guessing extra boards in our terminals are a bit different. "Hog" board vs Seniority Boards, etc. I dont know many drivers that stay out 5 days.. We have a rule in contract you can sign In sheet at first lay point Home term by 4th dispatch or they have to pay bedtime. I dont know how N.C term run, to many destinations or a few, turns, layruns? Vaping i dont see as a problem, some guys smoke cigs, etc.. We do have nice road equip, i suggest leaving it ash, smell free. Our guys for most part take good care. Depending on your run, a lay down, turn would depend on hooking sets. Rules regarding that stuff at terminals, etc.. I think if really needing guys, they will process fast, Road test,, also depends on how thorough you filled out app.

Slip seat. As suggested try to leave the cab clean. It will be easier to make friends if the next driver doesn't see trash left behind, chicken bones, spit tobacco juice, cigar butts etc. The road fleet is among the newest in the industry.

Ask about any "change of operations" that might be affecting Kernersville (051) before making any decisions. We are going through a time of terminal realignment now (read the postings on the current change of operations). The rumor is another change is coming as soon as the 2 changes that are currently in progress are completed. And the next one will involve the Kernersville road board.

ABF does have a policy regarding no smoking in the equipment but, according to management, they do not have the ability to enforce it. I have a copy of this email and it is posted on inforoundtable if anyone wants to sue because you don't smoke and you ended up with cancer.

Last edited:
And,....the Teamsters have said they do not use the 34 hour re-start.
Now,...the Teamsters,.....OR the company , have no say-so in how you do your logging......
That's the law...

But,....I do know from my sons getting into trucking and running for various big-name carriers,...that the "indoctrination" of drivers in that the....COMPANY...tells you when to use your 34 hour re-start,.......to maximize YOUR time behind THEIR wheel.....is rampant in all non-Union Truckload carriers.......

Many Union guys aren't aware of the Corporate subversion of the 34 hour re-start rule in non-Union companies.....
Consequently,....they don't understand the Teamster's official stance against use of the 34 hour re-start.....

Plus,....using that facilitates a Hog board,....and subverts normal seniority........Something that non-Union companies care very little about..........

My son said that one of his former employers bragged that they could legally get 84 hours in an eight day period ....with corporate (ab)use of the 34 hour re-start.........It's sold to the employees as a "way to make more money..."
Instead of the original "Safety" reason..........

My understanding is because the Teamsters are allowing YRC to use the 34 hour restart on a voluntary basis that ABF will be asking for this same voluntary use soon. They (ABF) are currently having problems getting dispatchers, cerical and other office personnel in positions to maintain the current change of operations.

Last edited:
Ask about any "change of operations" that might be affecting Kernersville (051) before making any decisions. We are going through a time of terminal realignment now (read the postings on the current change of operations). The rumor is another change is coming as soon as the 2 changes that are currently in progress are completed. And the next one will involve the Kernersville road board.

ABF does have a policy regarding no smoking in the equipment but, according to management, they do not have the ability to enforce it. I have a copy of this email and it is posted on inforoundtable if anyone wants to sue because you don't smoke and you ended up with cancer.
what are the change of operations? Are you out of the kernersville term or go in there much? Read that you need 2 years before vacation? I understand the 24/7...but how long does it take for you to build up some time for a bid run? All in all, even though this is union compared to say, Estes(non union), is it pretty much 'close' to the same as LTL is done. Bid runs, extra board, meet and swap runs?

what are the change of operations? Are you out of the kernersville term or go in there much? Read that you need 2 years before vacation? I understand the 24/7...but how long does it take for you to build up some time for a bid run? All in all, even though this is union compared to say, Estes(non union), is it pretty much 'close' to the same as LTL is done. Bid runs, extra board, meet and swap runs?

Keep in mind that with ABF you will be working under a contract that will be enforced by the local & the IBT. Working for a non union company you will not have that. Words written on paper are just that without a means to enforce it.

Last edited:
My understanding is because the Teamsters are allowing YRC to use the 34 hour restart on a voluntary basis that ABF will be asking for this same voluntary use soon. They (ABF) are currently having problems getting dispatchers, cerical and other office personnel in positions to maintain the current change of operations.

Not everywhere. 70 in 8 with 34 hour restart voted down in my local. Standing strong! :1036316054:

Keep in mind that with ABF you will be working under a contract that will be enforced by the local & the IBT. Working for a non union company you will not have that. Words written on paper are just that without a means to enforce it.
with that being said, I've heard I really won't make that much until I get in the Union. Is this true? I make right over $70K a year and am happy...although the insurance has taken a toll, since they kicked my wife. I did do LTL for a bit and really loved it, had to leave due to personal issues....always been looking at ABF...but if I'm not going to make close to what I'm making, then I might just do interview(see what K'ville has to offer) and turn down. I am looking to go back into LTL, though.

Read "change of operations" and "change passed" to understand what is happening at ABF at the moment.

It is just a few subjects down on this thread.

But basically it means opening and closing terminals, moving employees from old terminals to new terminals, and changing freight routes (more miles for some, less miles for others). It would not be the first time ABF has hired personnel at a terminal, then told them months later to move or leave! Ask nightowl. You have been warned.

with that being said, I've heard I really won't make that much until I get in the Union. Is this true? I make right over $70K a year and am happy...although the insurance has taken a toll, since they kicked my wife. I did do LTL for a bit and really loved it, had to leave due to personal issues....always been looking at ABF...but if I'm not going to make close to what I'm making, then I might just do interview(see what K'ville has to offer) and turn down. I am looking to go back into LTL, though.

You will make the agreed on wages in the contract for new hires from the first trip. You will be asked to become a Teamster probably by the union steward when you become an employee. Most locals will allow the dues to be deducted from your earnings. Insurance for you & your family will cost you almost nothing which will be a big expense you will no longer have to pay which is actually a raise from your current job. I don't know about the local contract timeline on insurance coverage. Most have a set time for insurance coverage to begin after your 30 day probationary period. Someone in your area on this board can probably tell you how many days that will be.

By all means, do the interview. Another benefit to you will be contributions into a Teamsters Pension Fund when you become a regular employee. Not sure what the rate is where you are, but it’s probably close to $8/hour. You don’t say how old you are, or if you have any previous time in the Teamsters Union. You will be a vested participant in the fund after 5 years of continuous service.

Kernersville pension is in the central states pension fund (mycentralstatespensionfund.org). Take a look at it or look at central states pension fund in the forum of truckingboards.

ABF road is also on a 6 days a week schedule. We work weekends and holidays (look at topic Thanksgiving). These might be some questions to ask during the interview. Asking questions during the interview process shows you are familiar with the company and interested in the company.

Last edited:
By all means, do the interview. Another benefit to you will be contributions into a Teamsters Pension Fund when you become a regular employee. Not sure what the rate is where you are, but it’s probably close to $8/hour. You don’t say how old you are, or if you have any previous time in the Teamsters Union. You will be a vested participant in the fund after 5 years of continuous service.
$8 an hour?!?!?! NO WAY! To answer your questions...I am in my mid 40's, 2 kids and a wife. I pretty much pay all bills. This is why if I'm not making $70K or somewhat close, I can't take the job. I/we have really struggled with my 'career change' and now are well above where I/we were before my change. Only reason why I need to change within the next year or so, is because wife works part-time at the school...sure the school has health insurance, but it's NOT for part time employees...but my current company see it as they have health insurance and is not eligable for my plan.In other words, they are trying to save as much money as possible. I love my job, but, also, getting tired of the road and looking for somewhat of a 'normal' life in the future.I know trucking isn't 'normal' but LTL I can pay my dues and get a bid run or something. I really do miss pulling doubles and setting them up.

Kernersville pension is in the central states pension fund (mycentralstatespensionfund.org). Take a look at it or look at central states pension fund in the forum of truckingboards.

ABF road is also on a 6 days a week schedule. We work weekends and holidays (look at topic Thanksgiving). These might be some questions to ask during the interview. Asking questions during the interview process shows you are familiar with the company and interested in the company.
IF, I get asked for an interview, I'll probably bore the $hit out of the interviewer! haha I've only been driving for, coming up to 8 years, BUT, I'm just wanting to get a company I can retire at. This 'moving my 401K' crap is getting old. lol

I’m out of 051. You will interview with Mike Roberts. We work 24 hrs day 7 days a week. Off on Christmas Day. Sometimes off on Thanksgiving just depending on what abf wants to do that year. You earn 62 hrs off after 6 tours and 86 hrs off after 12 tours. Good job. Yes you will be babysitting phone most of the time unless you take off. 70,000 should be no problem as long as you want to work and don’t call off sick. May be slow periods where being you will be bottom of board you may sit home 3.4 or 5 days. Not trying to scare you, but being totally honest. If you are offered the job, come on. Best decision I ever made 5 years ago. First year will be aggravating but just take it in stride. Get lil seniority under your belt and things will roll right along. Great insurance and like I said, if you work when called and don’t call off on sick board 70,000 won’t be a problem at all

$8 an hour?!?!?! NO WAY! To answer your questions...I am in my mid 40's, 2 kids and a wife. I pretty much pay all bills. This is why if I'm not making $70K or somewhat close, I can't take the job. I/we have really struggled with my 'career change' and now are well above where I/we were before my change. Only reason why I need to change within the next year or so, is because wife works part-time at the school...sure the school has health insurance, but it's NOT for part time employees...but my current company see it as they have health insurance and is not eligable for my plan.In other words, they are trying to save as much money as possible. I love my job, but, also, getting tired of the road and looking for somewhat of a 'normal' life in the future.I know trucking isn't 'normal' but LTL I can pay my dues and get a bid run or something. I really do miss pulling doubles and setting them up.

8 dollars an hour is roughly what ABF is contributing to your pension. If you get the job offer, I’d jump all over it.

I’m out of 051. You will interview with Mike Roberts. We work 24 hrs day 7 days a week. Off on Christmas Day. Sometimes off on Thanksgiving just depending on what abf wants to do that year. You earn 62 hrs off after 6 tours and 86 hrs off after 12 tours. Good job. Yes you will be babysitting phone most of the time unless you take off. 70,000 should be no problem as long as you want to work and don’t call off sick. May be slow periods where being you will be bottom of board you may sit home 3.4 or 5 days. Not trying to scare you, but being totally honest. If you are offered the job, come on. Best decision I ever made 5 years ago. First year will be aggravating but just take it in stride. Get lil seniority under your belt and things will roll right along. Great insurance and like I said, if you work when called and don’t call off on sick board 70,000 won’t be a problem at all
not one to call off sick! With a 10 and 3 year old, and a 40 something year old wife.....kind of hard to do that. PLUS, there have been 2 days where I had the flu and drove, I know that's not safe, but one day all that company gave me was 180 mile run. That was the longest 3 hour trip in my entire life! haha We'll see what happens, I have a feeling this week they will do background checks, so maybe come the first of the year I'll get a call? But, sounds like typical LTL. There was a slow period I sat at home for right over 3 days. I know that's how LTL is, so all I want is something that I won't need to worry about switching to something else! Thanks again.

8 dollars an hour is roughly what ABF is contributing to your pension. If you get the job offer, I’d jump all over it.

Yes,...That's roughly $8.00 an hour...OVER AND ABOVE your hourly wage. You don't see it because it directly goes to fund your pension.
There's even a reduced Casual rate for the time you put in before making the Seniority list.

And,....in most, if not all,...Supplements,....there's none of that horsecrap about "insurance co-pays" coming out of your weekly check......Biggest scam going in the non-Union world.......

IF,....that so-called "co-pay" was going to help pay for your "health insurance".......you'd pay it directly to the Insurance Carrier,....Right?

When your employer deducts it right out of your check,........you are paying a surcharge RIGHT BACK to your employer........to ....umm...."help" pay your "insurance" costs....(cough,cough)......

.....(...They're adjusting your Labor rates,...and most non-Union guys haven't caught on......Even after the obvious pay raise one week,...and then an "unavoidable" insurance co-pay raise the next week,...that negates the take-home pay raise...)......

So,....To recap.........You don't pay a dime toward your pension,...unless you choose a separate 401(k),....
And you don't pay a dime toward your healthcare,...unless you're standing at the doctor office window......

That dollar or so an hour the non-Unions "pay" more than the Union carriers,...don't look like such a good deal now,...when you have to fund your own pension and healthcare.....