ABF | new hire process questions

They should play that at the dispatch window when they give you your run......

And then you could bound out of the office shouting: "Heigh-Ho, Silver!.....And Away!"

....It's kind of anti-climatic to come back in 20 minutes later and tell dispatch you got a flat.........

Or maybe Silver lost a shoe?

She was trying to instill some culture & refinement in you. Most of us knuckle head boys could have used some of it. I considered opera to be sissy at the time. My mother wanted me to learn piano but I also thought that was for girls. I have regretted that for most of my life.

Two likes for that Doc, my mom did the same, I was too hardheaded.
My grandaughter is one of the top 17 yr. old piano players in N.C.
I can barely play the TV or radio.

Well, that interview was pretty quick. Asked some questions(one's I've never been asked) about dealing with stress, am I familiar in working in a 'structured' place? Told him yes and no. My short stint in LTL was unstructured, since I was on extraboard....some days I leave, some days I sit. However it's kind of like that where I am now. Seems everything went fine. Was told if I didn't hear anything in about 3-4 weeks to re-apply within 2 months. Said he's going to be needing 2 drivers now, and 8 total by May. That is all fine and dandy, don't know where I sit at, at the moment, though. Told him I did apply over 2 years ago...and he said he was glad to hear that. But also said, all decisions are made by Fort Smith. He just keeps a 'bank of potential drivers' incase someone on the dock/etc wants to join extraboard.(I know how that works, that's pretty much the same as all LTL carriers, seniority,seniority,seniority). So, what happens now?
You just wait. When I was hired it was 10 or 11 months between my job interview and when I got called. I had to do a second interview. I looked at the seniority list just a few minutes ago and it is 14 months between when I was hired and the next senior road driver. So my advice is just be patient. Also, I never called to check on the job.

She was trying to instill some culture & refinement in you. Most of us knuckle head boys could have used some of it. I considered opera to be sissy at the time. My mother wanted me to learn piano but I also thought that was for girls. I have regretted that for most of my life.

Just think how many girls you would have met taking those piano lessons back then. :smile new:

Two likes for that Doc, my mom did the same, I was too hardheaded.
My grandaughter is one of the top 17 yr. old piano players in N.C.
I can barely play the TV or radio.
Funny thing. I can't play cords. But I can play note for note in the right key by ear. Can't read a note of sheet music. Paul McCartney is the same way. One of the best musicians ever, & he can't read a note of sheet music. He plays by ear, like me, but way beyond my pay grade. For someone to play guitar & piano like he does, is a gift. He just refines the his ability every time he sits down @ a key board. von.

You just wait. When I was hired it was 10 or 11 months between my job interview and when I got called. I had to do a second interview. I looked at the seniority list just a few minutes ago and it is 14 months between when I was hired and the next senior road driver. So my advice is just be patient. Also, I never called to check on the job.
I'm in no rush! I have a job....pays great, however, wife was kicked off of my insurance since she has a part time job, is NOT offered health insurance, but they have it(full time employees only), she can't be on mine. It's corporate trying to save money, pretty much. I will take a small, and I mean SMALL paycut(around 4-5K) my first year, if hired. Wouldn't bother me as I'll have to start at the bottom, again, at another company. That is one thing that is getting old is having to freeze my 401k and switch jobs(which I've only had 3 jobs in 8 years of driving. Most I've had in ANY industry. haha), rollover, etc. I'm pretty sure, if hired, this will be the final stop for me. I DID have something very surprising happen to me. After about 2 hours of being at home ABFHR sent me a text...A TEXT(which was odd) and said to please check me email as there were some forms I needed to print, fax or take to service center(guessing barn in WS). So, printed out the 5 forms(psp, dot, etc...nothing to worry about for me), signed, scanned, and emailed back. Can't wait for them to get back some blank pages, which, so far in my life(43 years), has stayed that way. So, looks like I'm in the door for sure. But, only time will tell.

oh and I won't call. I only had no option but to call and cancel, and then call to reschedule my interview. That's the only thing that scared me was the stupid fiasco my truck brought about on me this week. But, it's an International, so that should say alot! haha

Just be aware. There are operation changes going on threw the company,people are losing there jobs. Also moving to other terminals. I hope you do not run into this situation.

I would say the text messages from corporate are a very good thing. They’re moving along with your app.
Today was my first day of orientation at ABF.
I applied the first week of November and interviewed the same week. 8-9 weeks later, here we are. I’m looking forward to working at ABF.
Good luck to you! Just be patient and hopefully it will all work out for you!

Funny thing. I can't play cords. But I can play note for note in the right key by ear. Can't read a note of sheet music. Paul McCartney is the same way. One of the best musicians ever, & he can't read a note of sheet music. He plays by ear, like me, but way beyond my pay grade. For someone to play guitar & piano like he does, is a gift. He just refines the his ability every time he sits down @ a key board. von.

My son plays anything with strings, never had a lesson also reads music but plays by ear.
I hear a lot of the better Nashville musicians don't read music.

As a road driver you wil be on the bottom of the board and work every weekend. And be on call all the time. Just letting you know how it is. Income may very limited

Just be aware. There are operation changes going on threw the company,people are losing there jobs. Also moving to other terminals. I hope you do not run into this situation.
Which is why you SHOULD call and check periodically. Be a bummer if in two months you find out they hired three people interviewed by the NEW MANAGER who's only been there one month, just saying. Making a checkup call keeps you at the fore. Out of sight, out of mind is a double edged sword

Calling is not to check on the job, it is to keep you fresh in the person's mind who is your liaison in the hiring process

Care to explain how it sucks?
If I’m prepared to work odd hours, work weekends, etc... what else could suck about it? They are like 30 drivers short so I’m assuming I’ll get enough work?
You just explained it. If you're prepared for it, that's great and more power to you. Babysitting that phone when I was young with no family was fine. Doing it now would be impossible. You are literally at their mercy. Wake up at 0800 and call in, "no work right now", then get ready for the sack at 2200 and phone rings "be in at 0001, we have a 300 mile meet for you"=SUCKS.
Not being a smart ass, but I've gotten spoiled, like my M-F 0900 50-55 hr per week city bid.

well, as I have stated before I did a brief stint in LTL and know how extra board works. So no big worries! The best thing about LTL is no more fighting for a spot at the truckstop! I'll always have a place to park and take a break! And I know ABF uses CLC cards so if I know I'll be in a major city and know where I will laydown at(on weekend) I'll call CLC and they can book me a room. Weekend work? lol BRING IT ON! Better shows on sirius/xm at night AND on weekends! Plus, it's alot more laid back(to me) driving on the weekend. Nights? lol SAME THING! You cover way more ground than the daytime, plus alot less traffic. I'm sure if I get a call(extra board) it'll be between 2300-0400. LTL moves freight at night and during the day is usually scheduled runs. However, I can be called to cover one, I'm sure(from what I was told) someone further up the list will take it before I get the call, seeing how everybody wants to drive during the day as opposed to nighttime.

As a road driver you wil be on the bottom of the board and work every weekend. And be on call all the time. Just letting you know how it is. Income may very limited
what do you mean income may very limited? From what I was told, I would make around 60K my first year as long as I work. I need to work, I'm not calling in sick or turning anything down....my first year, ANYWHERE, you have to pay your dues. good things happen to those who wait, and landing a scheduled run is just that. Pay your dues and get some seniority under your belt, then bid on a run.

I would say the text messages from corporate are a very good thing. They’re moving along with your app.
Today was my first day of orientation at ABF.
I applied the first week of November and interviewed the same week. 8-9 weeks later, here we are. I’m looking forward to working at ABF.
Good luck to you! Just be patient and hopefully it will all work out for you!
thank you! Tell me, so far, what consists of orientation? How long is it? I take it you get paid the hourly rate? Also, anyone know what kind of elog do you use? I'm used to peoplenet(which sucks and crashes all the time) and quallcomm.