new hire

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by bentrim, Jul 12, 2017.

1. bentrim

bentrim New Member

I was curious if anybody out of the Columbus, Ohio terminal would be able to give any information on what life would be like at the bottom of the line haul board (good place to work, would work be steady, etc.). Thanks

coondogg likes this.
  2. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

1. Yes. We've got a good bunch of road drivers, so the atmosphere is positive and everybody jokes around a lot. Management is also easy to get along with. Pay is excellent, and we have a very good benefits package, as well.
    2. Yes. You'll never be laid off, but it can vary wildly at the bottom of the open board. You could run 286 miles or 616 miles in a given night depending on freight volumes. However, I never had a single week where I made less than what I was making on P&D.

Are you in the process? We just hired one driver, but might need another soon. We've been growing like crazy, especially since they expanded the terminal. It's more than double the amount of doors we had a year ago. I didn't stay on the bottom of the board very long at all.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    bentrim likes this.
  3. bentrim

bentrim New Member

Thanks for the response. Actually I am the driver they just hired. I am very excited to come on board at Dayton Freight and will be starting a week from Monday if not sooner lol. I have to admit though that changing jobs can always be a little scary with the unknowns and having bills to pay and a family to support. The company that I currently work for is in the midst of a lot of changes and I stand a real possibility of being placed out on the road 5-6 days a week (weekends and holidays included). So having the ability to be home daily for the most part for the long term is a very good deal. I have always heard nothing but very good opinions about Dayton Freight.

icuicp and coondogg like this.
  4. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Cool. I look forward to meeting you. It's a good gig. I think you'll like it here.

icuicp likes this.