new hires

Richard I currently live in va. I applied at the Smyrna dc in Delaware. It's about 4 hours away. However I'm seriously considering applying at the dc in pottstown pa and even Monroe ga dc which is about 10 hours away. That's how bad I want this job.

Richard I currently live in va. I applied at the Smyrna dc in Delaware. It's about 4 hours away. However I'm seriously considering applying at the dc in pottstown pa and even Monroe ga dc which is about 10 hours away. That's how bad I want this job.

I drive 300 miles each way to work every week..It is worth it to me, because I am in it for the long haul, and its only a matter of time before I can transfer closer to home..Good luck to you..

Richard--is there a web site for job openings? I live in the Pac NW and I know they are now running your own equipment out of Grandview Wa, not too far frm the Hermiston location. Thanks for the info.

Can anyone tell me more info on benefits at Walmart trying to weigh pro's and con of leaving present employer. Thanks

Health insurance offerings are different, based on where you are. You would have to ask about it at that DC.

Walmart provides Short Term Disability. Long term disability is available. There is dental and vision available also. All insurance starts the day you do. Walmart will match up to 6% contributions to your 401K, but you can only do that after a year. You can do payroll stock purchases from day 1. You get quarterly safety bonus's and a paid safety day (based on ADP). All vacation, deferred holidays/holidays, safety days are paid at ADP.

What else do you want to know??

Can anyone tell me more info on benefits at Walmart trying to weigh pro's and con of leaving present employer. Thanks

Wal Mart takes care of their drivers...Peroid. It is a culture shock at first, I have been here for a month and I'm still adjusting to the relaxed work ethic. I ran 63.50 hours last week, came home relaxed and went straight to a family cook out. I am what they call an extra driver...since I'm new and don't have a unit of my own...I have to drive an extra truck...man off on vacation etc. I still start the same day and time each week...so far I have been in the same unit all week long. You may want to ask direct questions there is so much to cover. I only wish that I had made the move earlier...!

Ive had my road test and was made preliminary offer now waiting on call. Question is im with a Union LTL co. im comfortable where im at other than wondering if we,ll be in business next week. and the retirement.(YRC). I have atleast 20yrs to go before retirement and have a 2teens at home just scared to make jump is the money really as good as everyone says? im doing mid 70s to 80 with 100% healthcare now can i do better after all is said and done.

It depends on how hard of a runner you are. I personally know of guys that have made over 100,000 the first year, but they were running every weekend and out 5 to 5 1/2 days to do it. My first year I did 92,000 but I went home when I could and gave up allot of potential work to do so. To be conservative I would say that you would not be losing any money coming here and could make make more if you want to work. Just remember, to equal 80,000 a year there you would have to make 84,000 a year here due to the difference in insurance cost, but that would not be a problem at all to do (especially when you consider that you will get that amount back in the retirement contribution). I'll tell you like I tell all my old YRC buddies that consider coming over. You WILL make at least the same if not quite a bit more money yearly, but you will work weekends and allot of holidays to do it. The big question is how tired you are of YRC's ways and equipment because although there are allot more rules here the work environment itself (and equipment) is better. Just remember, this is not an LTL linehaul job, and you will be running the road as well as looking for vendors and bumping docks, although we do not touch freight at all and most vendor locations are "drop and hook".

Thanks Ben. Im disgusted here I like the job but with all the give backs 80 is the max i can make and im a worker its just impossible to do better used to make 90-100 b4 givebacks. I understand working wknds was told though theres somekind of deal where i could take every 6th wknd off? Also something about you earn days to take off? One downfall is id have a 110 mi drive to work my understanding is that i can stay in truck all week do they pay you to sleep in truck at your home DC or would I have to get hotel for my break?

you will get paid to break in truck even if u are at home dc u earn paid safety days 1 per quarter paid at average days pay 2 personal days 6 paid holidays that can be deferred as personal days there are alot of ex freight haulers working for walmart i like some things here some things i dont all in all its a good job with clean equipment and little to no stress

Thanks Ben. Im disgusted here I like the job but with all the give backs 80 is the max i can make and im a worker its just impossible to do better used to make 90-100 b4 givebacks. I understand working wknds was told though theres somekind of deal where i could take every 6th wknd off? Also something about you earn days to take off? One downfall is id have a 110 mi drive to work my understanding is that i can stay in truck all week do they pay you to sleep in truck at your home DC or would I have to get hotel for my break?

That would be a 6/2 shift, which is something I am aiming to get. There is also a 6/3

My first year, I made $80K. Now, to understand, I am a very hard worker but am very careful, never speed, and really check over the equipment. Also, I had a pretty steep learning curve for the paperwork / e-logs / computer stuff that we do. I came from a company that had nothing computerized (was there 7 years). This year I am on target to do between $87-90K, and this is my second year.

This is a very low stress job. You never have to worry about if the company will be there next year. You never have to worry about givebacks or lack of work. You are treated with tremendous respect at the company. It really is hard to describe, and most will not believe it until they are here. They are very family oriented, and if ANYTHING comes up, you can always get time off. I have yet to have a time off request denied. You get decent vacation, safety days and safety bonus quarterly, deferred holidays, etc. So you get a lot of paid time off at full ADP. You will not work Christmas, and most all DC's try very hard to make sure you do not work Thanksgiving either.

The biggest stressor here is knowing that you have a bullseye on your back, as everyone wants to have a lawsuit with Walmart. Plus, keeping your great record with the 4wheelers, which is a stressor with all truck driving jobs. The equipment is kept up perfectly, and anything that needs to get fixed is done so immediately.

This is where I will retire from.

I sleep in the truck at the home DC, take a shower at the DC, hop in my personal car and go eat breakfast nearby and there is always coffee on in the drivers room. I get paid to sleep in my unit at home DC, the driver who trained me lives 130 miles away, he said in bad weather he goes to a nearby motel on his off days to avoid that long drive home. The motel he uses gives him a discount and if knows he's not driving home, if he calls ahead they will save his favorite room.

If your close to the DC, can the 10 hr. break be taken at home a couple times a week or do they want you to stay at the DC ?

They pay you to sleep in your truck to encourage you to do so. However, they cannot force you to do so. When you sleep in your truck, you have a tendency to get an earlier start, as most only stay in sleeper berth for the required time. This is in contrast to going home, where you have the drive both ways, dinner with family, family time and trying to get some sleep. Usually 10 hours is not enough for all of that.

Thanks for all the info. Got my final offer today and will be onboard in a couple weeks. Hope it works out leaving a decent LTL job hope this is the last job ill ever need.....

Welcome aboard, I left a YRC company two months ago, best thing I ever did.! At first you will be an extra driver...you will have a start day and time each week. Your an extra driver because you are assigned a truck that is available for that week until you are assigned a truck. I have been in the same unit all week long...makes it nice. You can lose the line haul mind set...there will be no waiting at the motel for a work call or sitting in the drivers room waiting on dispatch. The running legal, equipment that is well taken care of and how they treat us will be a lot different than what your now doing..! After Holland, this has been a culture shock to say the least.! The basic line is that I'm new, making a little more than I did before, instead of giving up 15% ...I picked the benefits that were the best for the wife and I. Plus as I get better at things, I can see my check getting better and better.