ABF | New Hires

cityman

TB Lurker
Credits
What is the formula in New York State to make regular status on the seniority list for city-dock. I guess you have to work so many days in a period to make preferred casual and then a certain amount as a prefferred employee. Do they always stick to this formula? Does anybody know of circumstances when they have made guys regular before they worked throught this formula?

Cityman

C'mon somebody from Abf,Yellow,Roadway etc. must have experience or know something about the new hire procedure. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,Cityman

As a new hire you will sit for five days work two and want to quit in less than a month then you'll kick your self for leaving a good job to be a sitter five days a week

In New Jersey it works the same way. You have to work 75 days as a casual. Your 75th day is your seniority date. Then you have to work 25 days on probation.

I'll be here 2 yrs in june and have not lost 1 days work. Friends at Yellow started the same time and are still walking 1 or 2 days a week.

Stick with it, ABF is a good job.

Thanks for the info. Have you guys ever seen them put a guy on fulltime time before he worked the 75 days. Down south there is no perferred casual they can put you on fulltime whenever,it is up to the terminal manager.

In NC there is a preferential casual list. You must work 30 days out of 75 calendar days to qualify for the list. However, I have seen them put a man on the preferential list that does not have 30 days yet. It just depends on how well your lips fit the Operations Manager's butt.:biglaugh: Right now, all of our preferentials are working 40+ hours a week but if you know how ABF works then you know that they won't be hired any time soon. They don't like to give benefits if the union doesn't force them to. Usually Local 391 does not force anything!!!:nutkick:

ABF's 3 north Jersey terminals are Local 560 jobs. A casual is covered for medical benefits if he works 8 days in the month. He has to work 12 days to get a pension credit for the month.
ABF pays 560 for every day a casual works and a printout is posted every month.

Harleydad75 said:
They don't like to give benefits if the union doesn't force them to. Usually Local 391 does not force anything!!!:nutkick:
Hey HD75.......If you see a problem with what is going on....call 336-668-0441. If you don't think the local is doing anything about the problem.....let them know and stand up!! Every man will get what is comming to him by the contract. That's what we go by at 391. If there is a problem someone has to bring it to the local's attention. Be the one. DS.

2631 said:
ABF's 3 north Jersey terminals are Local 560 jobs. A casual is covered for medical benefits if he works 8 days in the month. He has to work 12 days to get a pension credit for the month.
ABF pays 560 for every day a casual works and a printout is posted every month.
Sorry, I guess I had another one of those senior moments, I put it backwards. In local 560 a casual has to work 12 days in a month for welfare benefits & only 8 days for the pension credit.
But the shop steward does post a printout every month & 560 gets paid for every day a casual works.

So in New York, you work 75 days STRAIGHT then 25 days STRAIGHT for probation then you become full-time. Or the casual is an on-call position?

Sovereign said:
So in New York, you work 75 days STRAIGHT then 25 days STRAIGHT for probation then you become full-time. Or the casual is an on-call position?

its not 75 days straight
its just 75 days as per the NY NJ supplement
after the 75th day you are placed in probation
after completing 25 days of probation in a 90 day period you will be placed on the seniority list as of the first day of probation

as a casual it would be the wise thing to do to work whenever it is available
in no way does the contract stipulate that these periods be consecutive:confused: :confused:
hope that helps answering your question
which terminal are you going for?

I have a situation. I applied for the city driver position online. But I forgot to put a part-time job on the application. I reapply for the same position and place the job i didnt put in the first application. Will it hurt my chances to get the position?

Also, On my first application I only applied for the Brooklyn (place I would like to work) only. For the second application, I also applied for the Brooklyn & Bay Shore. Will that also hurt my chances too?

Sovereign said:
I have a situation. I applied for the city driver position online. But I forgot to put a part-time job on the application. I reapply for the same position and place the job i didnt put in the first application. Will it hurt my chances to get the position?

Also, On my first application I only applied for the Brooklyn (place I would like to work) only. For the second application, I also applied for the Brooklyn & Bay Shore. Will that also hurt my chances too?
I don't want to try and talk you into anything but if you are willing to drive out to Bayshore, you might consider driving to the Avenel (Woodbridge) NJ terminal Just 10 mins from the Staten Island.

If your accepted you will probably have to work nights on the dock anywhere you go.

The way things are in Avenel you will probably work your 75 + 25 without missing a day. At least thats how its been for the past few months

They pay weekly.

Sovereign said:
I really want to go to the Brooklyn facility. I am about 20 mins from there.
are you already a teamster? even if you are not,
pm me and i'll put you into contact with the union person who will facilitate the process
you may take an extended amount of time to make the job in bklyn
bayshore just slowed a little
like 2631 stated avenel may be the best bet as you may not miss a beat
you can also go to ABF Freight System, Inc. and click on employment and see which terminals in the area are hiring along with getting phone #'s
good luck