TForce | New Internationals

I was at a liftgate stop one time with 4 pallets at a dollar store and was delivering the bleach and cleaners really heavy stuff and the manager was suprised I was using the liftgate becuase they didn't pay for it.

I told her that if I had it I was gonna use it, that is when she told me that other freight companies would not do that, they might be on a liftgate but would not use it.

I really wonder if this manager knows what he/she is talking about.

Would any of us break down a pallet on load it on the tail for the customer to unload when we have a liftgate on the trailer. I don't care if the customer paid for it or not. I would use it before breaking down pallets.

I know what you guys are saying.
UPS is always about time is money.
I have a things Remembered store inside the mall thats on my route.
I have to back down a very narrow row of cars in the parking lot just to get to the mall delivery enterance.
then prop open two doors.
Walk everything down a short hall way then a right turn down a very long hall way to their back door.
I have this store at least once a week .
Around the holidays twice a week.
By using my hand cart it takes no less then an hour maybe more depending on how many cases they have.
When I have the lift gate.
I can take the skid to their back door,and I can get it done in about 15 minutes.

So go figure,the TM wants to charge for this service.
But by doing just one inside delivery like this I'm saving the company as much in extra charges.
And this is just one of a few I can save time doing with a lift gate every day I have it.
Penny wise,and dollar foolish?
Come on UPS get with the program,we are your heavy freight division we need the tools to do the best job we can for you.

If they are day cabs with back windows whats the problem with blind backing?
I can do it without a back window just using the mirrors.
But its very,very dangerous and avoid doing it unless I have no choice.

If they are day cabs with back windows whats the problem with blind backing?
I can do it without a back window just using the mirrors.
But its very,very dangerous and avoid doing it unless I have no choice.

There is a heat shield that goes over the exhaust stack and blocks the view in the rear window. The unfortunate thing is this heat shield holds wiring and assorted other things for emissions, so I guess you just cannot simply take it off.

There is a heat shield that goes over the exhaust stack and blocks the view in the rear window. The unfortunate thing is this heat shield holds wiring and assorted other things for emissions, so I guess you just cannot simply take it off.

I drive one of the int have for 2 years with a 48ft lift gate I drive in a 100 yr old city blind side 7or 8 times a day you will get used to it. just plan ahead and remember SPACE and VISIBILITY training:nutkick:

I drive one of the int have for 2 years with a 48ft lift gate I drive in a 100 yr old city blind side 7or 8 times a day you will get used to it. just plan ahead and remember SPACE and VISIBILITY training:nutkick:
I realize what you are saying, and I agree, but I think he was referring to the new INTERNATIONALS UPS just purchased for 2008.

We've got three lift gates .
One is a straight truck,we also have a 40 foot 12.6 high trailer,and an old 28 foot pup.
The one who thought about putting it on the old pup should of got a clue first.
This old pup is way to low for most docks,to do normal deliveries.
Its a very dangerous set up.
they really should of put it on a higher pup.

Oh well thats Overnite for you.
I mean UPS.

But we charge extra for lift gate service.
I think its around $75.00.
We appoint our life gate deliveries.
So the terminal really makes out good with these stops.

I love it when my route has one of these stops.
I get to use the gate for all of my hand unloads,all day long.
It beats doing mall stops with my two wheel hand cart.

Oh well thats life,the old saying is you always get what you pay for.
but in this case I don't think thats works?

I drag this lift gate pup every day because I get a lot of lift gate deliveries everyday.

I have 26 series pup that has been retrofitted with a lift gate. It is lower in the rear so I keep 4'' wood blocks to put under the rear tires when I back up to a dock. Once they completely remounted the lift gate and put some heavier gauge steel to help raise the rear of the trailer. It was so low in the rear of the trailer that at some stops the crown of the pavement kept you from being able to fold out the lift gate. That was another reason why I used those 4" wood blocks.

They have had to reinforce parts of the frame about 5 or 6 times because the thin I-beam frame keeps cracking in two.

At my barn we are charging $125 for lift gate.

I drag this lift gate pup every day because I get a lot of lift gate deliveries everyday.

I have 26 series pup that has been retrofitted with a lift gate. It is lower in the rear so I keep 4'' wood blocks to put under the rear tires when I back up to a dock. Once they completely remounted the lift gate and put some heavier gauge steel to help raise the rear of the trailer. It was so low in the rear of the trailer that at some stops the crown of the pavement kept you from being able to fold out the lift gate. That was another reason why I used those 4" wood blocks.

They have had to reinforce parts of the frame about 5 or 6 times because the thin I-beam frame keeps cracking in two.

At my barn we are charging $125 for lift gate.

im not sure what we charge but i have the same problem with my lift gate you cant get it to fold out because it to low the wood blocks is a great idea our other lift gate is an old mc trl they welded a liftgate on it not strait its not a fold under u have to lower it at every stop there is no lock pos for traveling. i liked the O tuck unders the were alot faster

Yes gater our pup lift gate is also a retro.
The driver is a gal that has it for her city peddle every day.
She's forever telling our TM how dangerous it is going to low docks.
She has a hunk of wood she uses inside to try and match to some of the docks she goes to.

I'll pass along the wood block under the tires idea to her.
I know she'd just rather have this gate on a higher pup to make everything a lot more safer.
(SAFER) why isn't that what UPS has drilled into us since we were rebranded?

WHAAAAAAAAAA HAPPENED??????

Yes gater our pup lift gate is also a retro.
The driver is a gal that has it for her city peddle every day.
She's forever telling our TM how dangerous it is going to low docks.
She has a hunk of wood she uses inside to try and match to some of the docks she goes to.

I'll pass along the wood block under the tires idea to her.
I know she'd just rather have this gate on a higher pup to make everything a lot more safer.
(SAFER) why isn't that what UPS has drilled into us since we were rebranded?

WHAAAAAAAAAA HAPPENED??????

I also have a set of concrete blocks I use that are 4 inch. Tell her to keep an eye on the I-beam cross members where the front part the lift gate is welded to the I-beam. That is usually where the thin I-beam cracks. What I eventually told the out sourced mechanic to aka Goober is to weld up the crack on either side and weld 3/16" plates to either side of the I-beam to take the stress off of the crack. He did that to one of the cracks but did not do it to the other side. So it has been two weeks and so far the non-plated side has held up as well as the plated side. I hope this will be the end to it but time will tell.

im not sure what we charge but i have the same problem with my lift gate you cant get it to fold out because it to low the wood blocks is a great idea our other lift gate is an old mc trl they welded a liftgate on it not strait its not a fold under u have to lower it at every stop there is no lock pos for traveling. i liked the O tuck unders the were alot faster

Same for me the under gates are more convinent for all dels. but the big ones are a lot safer to move stuff on, lots of room.

All of ours are large as well.
but our straight truck had a narrow gate up untill just a few months ago.
You could only just bearly put a 4 way skid sideways on it.
Talk about dangerous,thats an understatement.
I had a refirgerator for a local Wendys fast food joint.
The jerks at this rest.,wouldn't help in any way to hold it.
It was over my head,and I'm 6 foot 2.
Well I got it manovered onto the gate ok.
But when I hit the botton to lower it there was just enough of a jerking movement that this refrigerator took a header into the driveway.
I couldn't hold onto it or I would have gone off with it.
Ever since that day I was always very scared to use it.

Don't ask me why it took about three years to get it replaced with a big gate?
But now we can get the slids straight out on the new one.

We used to have problems with our long liftgate all the time, our terminal has had to rent 48' xtra leasing trailers w/ liftgates...we actually just got a rebranded freightliner straighttruck in the new paint, its pretty sharp looking...

I had a refirgerator for a local Wendys fast food joint.
The jerks at this rest.,wouldn't help in any way to hold it.
It was over my head,and I'm 6 foot 2.
Well I got it manovered onto the gate ok.
But when I hit the botton to lower it there was just enough of a jerking movement that this refrigerator took a header into the driveway.
I couldn't hold onto it or I would have gone off with it.
Ever since that day I was always very scared to use it.

Don't ask me why it took about three years to get it replaced with a big gate?
But now we can get the slids straight out on the new one.

I guess that is one way to get a new lift gate. Was that refrigerator one of those hi-dollar Vulcan/Hobart machines?

We have a old 25 series van that the lift gate fell off.

Yes you guessed right gater.
It was a Hobart unit.
I wasn't charged for an accident but I can bet it was a pretty hefty claim to go against my terminals Operating costs.

My TM didn't blame me in any way other then saying if I ever have something like that again where the customer isn't willing to help out.
Just bring it back.

Yes you guessed right gater.
It was a Hobart unit.
I wasn't charged for an accident but I can bet it was a pretty hefty claim to go against my terminals Operating costs.

My TM didn't blame me in any way other then saying if I ever have something like that again where the customer isn't willing to help out.
Just bring it back.

And charge them redelivery. Because of Hobart’s contract there are some assoil charges they don't have to pay.

being a city driver don't you notice a big difference in our customers willingness to help us since we were rebranded.

I have the Gap store as one of my mall deliveries.
When we were Overnite,the receiver always took their stuff inside,and I just had to hand it off the back of my trailer.

When I showed up with the new UPS Freight uniform.
This same guy says just bring it in props the door open,and walks away.

The first time I called into dispatch,and he says just put it where they want it.
they paid for inside delivery.

So now I've got to break down the skid at the tail of my trailer,and hand carry their stuff inside and stake against the wall.
theres not enough room to use my hand cart.

So from a very simple few minute stop,now I've got to spend a lot more time there just because my uniform says UPS on it,instead of Overnite.