Estes | New Kenworth tandem tractor

truckersteve

TB Lurker
Credits
This is one of eight new kenworths in st.louis. The others are single axles.
e5ugatyr.jpg

Yeah, they all have to go back to KW to have the 5th wheels moved back.... Why the dealerships can't do it is beyond me..

I seen a new freightliner daycab coming out the nashville barn. I see estes is moving away from buying internationals? I drive a 2012 inter at upsf and the engine light will not turn off, the shop more less said " just roll wit it, we tried to check and change everything but cant get it to turn off"

We have had our share of issues with the new internationals. I don't think anyone here is a fan of the maxforce engine. Lol.

Yeah, they all have to go back to KW to have the 5th wheels moved back.... Why the dealerships can't do it is beyond me..

You mean the shop at this term? Because it sounds like them going back to k-dub IS the dealership taking care of it :) I'm guessing the 5th wheel is mounted forward so the trucks can be stacked to transport from the factory. Too far back and it gets hung up on the oil pan of the truck behind.

I'd like OD to look at k-dub over the freightshakers and Volvos we buy now. I'm a little biased, I drove a kw for 3 years over at CFI/con-way truckload and always had good luck with them, especially with the ISX cummins motor.

I like my crashcadia :). The visibility alone is awesome. I wonder how much money the paint scheme cost per unit.

You can see a lot out of the Cascadia, that's true. Ours are assembled in Cleveland NC, not Saltillo, I can tell a definite difference in the workmanship between the two plants. Ours seem to be a lot more solid than the ones I drove over at big blue.

We had some guys griping about our 5th wheels being up so far and Volvo told us that is for max MPG, we have the rubbers extensions on our side fairings and that restricts fuel robbing wind resistance between the tractor and trailer. It is not uncommon to see 12,000# to 12,400# on the steers with a 35,000# plus 53'.

The problem with the paint is the black accentuates those hideous bo-bo fenders, who designs these trucks, Fischer Price? Otherwise I like the paint, at this point anything but white looks good.

Makes me wonder what type of steer tires they're running. With a stronger ply tire (I think a 12-ply) you can legally run 14k on the steers as long as you're not over gross.

We had some guys griping about our 5th wheels being up so far and Volvo told us that is for max MPG, we have the rubbers extensions on our side fairings and that restricts fuel robbing wind resistance between the tractor and trailer. It is not uncommon to see 12,000# to 12,400# on the steers with a 35,000# plus 53'.

There's a sliding 5th wheel on these new KW singles. My fuel millage has been consistent at 6.75 mpg with pups. heavy or light. The 3:21 gear ratio is kind of tall for the mountain areas imo but the Paccar motor produces plenty of torque and at only 1400 rpm at top speed, it knocks an hour off my schedule.