TForce | new message dvd

hmmm, guess i missed putting up hoffas letter to ups about the dvd sent to you guys. I'll get it tomorrow, to tired to find it now.

I saw that movie in 1990,greezy.

your artical says that the Teamster were representing 3600 drivers.

Even though that sounds like a large group.
In the big picture it was a small minority of Overnites total employees for all that the union threw at our company during their picketing of not only our terminals but also our customers.

I saw first hand some of their nasty deallings,during that time line.

It really wasn't a very good insentive to join an organization that was being so rotten to our company.

Overnite management was acussed of breaking a lot of labor laws.

But the Teamsters were trying to shove them into negotiations of a contract they didn't want.
Because of such a small group of workers over all.

All Overnite ever did was to fight back at something they were being forced into.

How about all the underhanded things your Teamster members were doing during that time?
No one ever seems to reconize their missdeeds?

Jimmy Hoffa Jr. ran on the platform of organizing our company, or putting them out of business.

Do all you
teamsters think Overnite was just going to lay down,and let your people walk in and take our company over without a fight?

They have always operated as a non-union company,and has let everyone known up front on being hired.
They wish to remain that way without their employees being controlled by any outside organization.

Although this movie did show both sides of this issue,greezy.

Man, you are a piece of work. I believe you put a lot more "faith" into UPSF than you claim. Yea, those big, bad, evil Teamsters were trying to force a contract that the "company" didnt want:duh:
Lets see, the Teamsters were representing who? The company........no, I believe the employee's.

Apostolic said:
your artical says that the Teamster were representing 3600 drivers.

Even though that sounds like a large group.
In the big picture it was a small minority of Overnites total employees for all that the union threw at our company during their picketing of not only our terminals but also our customers.

I saw first hand some of their nasty deallings,during that time line.

It really wasn't a very good insentive to join an organization that was being so rotten to our company.

Overnite management was acussed of breaking a lot of labor laws.

But the Teamsters were trying to shove them into negotiations of a contract they didn't want.
Because of such a small group of workers over all.

All Overnite ever did was to fight back at something they were being forced into.

How about all the underhanded things your Teamster members were doing during that time?
No one ever seems to reconize their missdeeds?

Jimmy Hoffa Jr. ran on the platform of organizing our company, or putting them out of business.

Do all you
teamsters think Overnite was just going to lay down,and let your people walk in and take our company over without a fight?

They have always operated as a non-union company,and has let everyone known up front on being hired.
They wish to remain that way without their employees being controlled by any outside organization.

Although this movie did show both sides of this issue,greezy.

3600 0f 8000 is alittle more than a small part of the employee base.... Also from what I have read Hoffa made a really big mess...so lets change those tactics and rethink this....Would you still feel forced?

krash said:
Man, you are a piece of work. I believe you put a lot more "faith" into UPSF than you claim. Yea, those big, bad, evil Teamsters were trying to force a contract that the "company" didnt want:duh:
Lets see, the Teamsters were representing who? The company........no, I believe the employee's.
EVIL EMPIRE....JUST WANT ME MONEY!!!!!

Theres more than drivers that would be union.

How about the dock workers,and mechanics?
I'll admit 3600 is more than a handful of the whole company.
But still is only a presentage of all that would be organized.

Yes the Overnite company was trying to be forced into something they never wanted.

Why don't you see that?

Don't you remember that J.Hoffa Jr. was running for Teamsters union president on the fact that he would get Overnite to organized, or put them out of business?

If it was your business that some one was running for president wanted to do something with, that you didn't want to happen,wouldn't you feel you were being forced?

I know when your a Teamster you are true to the cause,and its hard to see the other side of the issue.

I remember when I was a Teamster because of the company I worked at, if I didn't join the union,I couldn't work for them.

I do remember some of the meetings I attended, that if you weren't a 100% with all their ideas you were an outcast.

If you didn't agree with what was being said you'd better keep your thoughts to yourself, if you knew what was good for you.

I saw a guy I worked with he did have a big mouth, and should of shut up when they told him to.

But he couldn't let it go,he wanted them to answer a question he had,and they didn't want to address it.

Anyway they finaly had 2 large guys drag him out of the meeting.
And his question remained unanswered.

So you see I've been on both sides of the fence,and as for me I do like being a non-union driver better.

You all know, we've all gotta do what we feel is best for us.

greezy trucker said:
3600 0f 8000 is alittle more than a small part of the employee base.... Also from what I have read Hoffa made a really big mess...so lets change those tactics and rethink this....Would you still feel forced?
What dose the 3600 of 8000 represent?? is it the number of employees for the Union out of 8000?

is the union a 501 tax exempt company. if they are then i would think about feeling they are truely out to take care of me. if not, and they are for profit, then they are a business just like other carriers, stores, car dealers and they want to talk the good stuff to you to get you to buy.

Apostolic said:
How about the dock workers,and mechanics?
I'll admit 3600 is more than a handful of the whole company.
But still is only a presentage of all that would be organized.

Yes the Overnite company was trying to be forced into something they never wanted.

Why don't you see that?

Don't you remember that J.Hoffa Jr. was running for Teamsters union president on the fact that he would get Overnite to organized, or put them out of business?

If it was your business that some one was running for president wanted to do something with, that you didn't want to happen,wouldn't you feel you were being forced?

I know when your a Teamster you are true to the cause,and its hard to see the other side of the issue.

I remember when I was a Teamster because of the company I worked at, if I didn't join the union,I couldn't work for them.

I do remember some of the meetings I attended, that if you weren't a 100% with all their ideas you were an outcast.

If you didn't agree with what was being said you'd better keep your thoughts to yourself, if you knew what was good for you.

I saw a guy I worked with he did have a big mouth, and should of shut up when they told him to.

But he couldn't let it go,he wanted them to answer a question he had,and they didn't want to address it.

Anyway they finaly had 2 large guys drag him out of the meeting.
And his question remained unanswered.

So you see I've been on both sides of the fence,and as for me I do like being a non-union driver better.

You all know, we've all gotta do what we feel is best for us.

Being told you need to shut up happens on either side....Look at these boards, they are a prime example...But is that not what this whole country was built on, people saying what they feel and fighting for it....And if you want to say forced, then explain how it got started....

Silverhawk1 said:
Ok well I that is what I thought. But the 8000 number needs to almost be double. we currently have 16,142 employees from the former Overnite side.

Yeah, thats the problem with all this. Most of the info is old and don't really apply anymore....Eye to the future instead of our heads in the past? Just found it a bit interesting....especially the part about the director losing focus. How can we base desicions on an unfocused opinion? Either side......

I thought that the Red Star,&Preston Mechanics..

were in the the same local as the drivers,and dock workers.
I could be wrong it won't be the first time on this board.

So even with 3600 out of 8000 its not 50% that would be enough to have bargaing talks with our company,yet a lot of unfair labor claims were filed against Overnite for not wanting to bargain in good faith?

Whats wrong with this picture?
I know math wasn't one of my stronger subjects,but I do know that 4000,would be 50%.

You may have been very close to the figure you needed,but not close enough to force a contract on our company at that point in time.

Sorry guys but you know the old saying.close only counts in the game of horse shoes.

Apostolic said:

So even with 3600 out of 8000 its not 50% that would be enough to have bargaing talks with our company,yet a lot of unfair labor claims were filed against Overnite for not wanting to bargain in good faith?

I know math wasn't one of my stronger subjects,but I do know that 4000,would be 50%.

You may have been very close to the figure you needed,but not close enough to force a contract on our company at that point in time.

Sorry guys but you know the old saying.close only counts in the game of horse shoes.
I believe the 3600 would be from the terminals that voted for the union,It doesn't go by total percentage..I don't think that all the Overnite terms even voted...
Apostolic,you sound bitter against the union even saying you had to join the union because you had no choice.Didn't they tell you this when you first started??New york is not a right to work state.I guess if it was, you would be riding the coattails of other union workers without having to pay your dues,:smilie_132:
CRAZY

Apostolic said:

3600 out of 8000 is 400 shy of half the workforce (at that time). Unfortunately Apostolic, your understanding of how representation voting works is wrong. It is not 51% companywide. it is 51% per terminal that determines representation or not. The reason being is because the company (members) as a whole, would be represented by several different locals. Therefore, all it takes is a terminal by terminal vote. Not a companywide vote at one time.

Now what I don't understand after all these years is how guys could stand up for a company that spent over $100million to keep you at substandard wages, paying for your own medical, (possible) substandard pension at the time, so called bad equipment, etc etc. , when if in retrospect, they spent that money on improving your conditions instead, there would have been no need to discuss whether you should be union now or not. The bottom line is that Overnite spent all that money trying to keep you down, instead of allowing you your legal right to representation by the union, or using that money to improve your conditions, wages, equipment, benefits, etc. How do you defend a company that wastes money to fight against YOUR rights?

Remember this, the union is not nor was not looking to control the company. In reality, what the union is looking to do is to give you the power to have a voice in how the company can coexist in a mutually beneficial relationship for everyone involved. It allows you to determine
what work rules are fair and ethical,
what are fair wages and compensation,
seniority preservation,
holiday and vacation times,
sick and personal time,......
these are then negotiated for until a ratification vote can occur and then holds the company and the members to these rules by the means of a contract. The contract gives specific wording that the company and the workers have to live by, and also a process to resolve differences when one side or the other goes outside of the predefined boundaries of the contract.

Animo916 said:
3600 out of 8000 is 400 shy of half the workforce (at that time). Unfortunately Apostolic, your understanding of how representation voting works is wrong. It is not 51% companywide. it is 51% per terminal that determines representation or not. The reason being is because the company (members) as a whole, would be represented by several different locals. Therefore, all it takes is a terminal by terminal vote. Not a companywide vote at one time.

Now what I don't understand after all these years is how guys could stand up for a company that spent over $100million to keep you at substandard wages, paying for your own medical, (possible) substandard pension at the time, so called bad equipment, etc etc. , when if in retrospect, they spent that money on improving your conditions instead, there would have been no need to discuss whether you should be union now or not. The bottom line is that Overnite spent all that money trying to keep you down, instead of allowing you your legal right to representation by the union, or using that money to improve your conditions, wages, equipment, benefits, etc. How do you defend a company that wastes money to fight against YOUR rights?

Remember this, the union is not nor was not looking to control the company. In reality, what the union is looking to do is to give you the power to have a voice in how the company can coexist in a mutually beneficial relationship for everyone involved. It allows you to determine
what work rules are fair and ethical,
what are fair wages and compensation,
seniority preservation,
holiday and vacation times,
sick and personal time,......
these are then negotiated for until a ratification vote can occur and then holds the company and the members to these rules by the means of a contract. The contract gives specific wording that the company and the workers have to live by, and also a process to resolve differences when one side or the other goes outside of the predefined boundaries of the contract.

You call Overnite {UPSF} a sub-standard wage. Now that's funny...