FedEx Freight | New no Smoking policy

rwdfinch51

TB Lurker
Credits
I just saw this posted on the National site. It was on page 3 of the following thread; http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...onal/67476-upper-mgt-its-time-tell-truth.html
Have you guys seen this at your terminals yet?

PRESHIFT AND POST

To: All FedEx National LTL

Subject: Smoke-free Workplace: Vehicles

Date: September 15, 2009

On October 1, 2009, FedEx Freight Regional, National LTL, System, and HQ (“the company”) will expand its no smoking policy to include all company vehicles in all states.

The company prohibits smoking in all enclosed buildings, but had allowed smoking in certain company vehicles where there were no local or state smoking regulations. The company’s revised policy extends the definition of "place of employment" to vehicles; therefore, the company will prohibit smoking in all vehicles that are owned, leased or provided by the company, including but not limited to tractors, trailers, hostling units, and company owned and leased cars.

To maximize the utilization of our fleet, team members must share vehicles and other equipment, so making all of our offices and vehicles “smoke free” is the right thing to do. The hazards of second-hand smoke are well documented and we must ensure that our people have a safe and secure work environment.

Please carefully review the updated policy and direct any questions to your manager or a Human Resources team member.

It will be hard to enforce on tractors that both drivers smoke in.

You all had to know this was coming to a tractor near you soon.

Or if he stops every 27 minutes to have a smoke like office people do.

Franklin :clap:

I think they left out a paragraph. :biglaugh:

The company’s revised policy extends the definition of "place of employment" to all vehicles; therefore, the company will prohibit smoking in all vehicles including personal vehicles.
The company also reserves the right to randomly come by your house to check if you still have other family members that smoke.

I'm sure glad I quit smoking over 22 years ago. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

:shift:

Also I just heard a couple of days ago that one of the major car rental companies (Hertz?, Avis?) is going to ban smoking in all their cars.
If you get caught smoking they will add $250 fine to your credit card for cleaning the interior upholstery. :biglaugh:

That's what I was trying to figure out. If the driver sprays the truck out after each trip, who's to know?

rwdfinch51 :clap:

I think the idea is to get you to quit smoking or quit the company.
They must feel that they can save health care money by getting
rid of the smokers.

I think the company is just trying to stay two steps ahead of Obama,
knowing that he will eventually ban smoking in order to get government
approved health care.:biglaugh:

That's what I was trying to figure out. If the driver sprays the truck out after each trip, who's to know?

You can't hide the smell of cigarettes. It's like spraying air freshener in a men's room at a all you can eat bean chili and cabbage cook off.

rwdfinch51 :clap:

I think the idea is to get you to quit smoking or quit the company.
They must feel that they can save health care money by getting
rid of the smokers.

I think the company is just trying to stay two steps ahead of Obama,
knowing that he will eventually ban smoking in order to get government
approved health care.:biglaugh:

What you are saying makes sense. I wouldn't doubt for a second that it has to do with keeping health care costs in check.
I also agree with Franklin. I used to be a 3 pack a day smoker, and I can smell a truck that's been smoked in as soon as I open the door.
Of course, after quitting smoking, I can attest to the fact that I can breath much better, which is a good thing, since I now have so much more weight to carry around:biglaugh:

This is Great... NOT. I smoked for over 25 yrs. Quit about 9 yrs ago. I realize this is lawyer stuff to make the compliance office happy but, this will not fly. It will not be enforced. Could you see a SCM or OPS mgr. getting tough with a top 10 man over ashes on the floor of his truck. That is some funny stuff. Or will everyone start chewing and we will have to dodge spit cups in the tractor.

The company’s revised policy extends the definition of "place of employment" to all vehicles; therefore, the company will prohibit smoking in all vehicles including personal vehicles.
The company also reserves the right to randomly come by your house to check if you still have other family members that smoke.

Well, that makes sense. After all, God forbid you speed in your OWN vehicle.

I'm glad I work for a company that doesn't push hair-brained rules like this.

Good thing I'm trying to quit smoking. I think this company is trying to **** people off.

YA THINK ,what is everyone worried about not supposed to be smoking in trucks in NY or OHIO everynight I see guys smoking in trucks from ny centers and ohio ,like was aid b4 never be enforced ,wont hear nothing about it till someone who smokes pisses someone off and then now we will be writing you up for violating the policy

So is it ok to chew? I would rather smell smoke then have to deal with the slob who leaves his spit bottle laying around.Im not saying everyone that chews is a slob,but the few ruin it for the masses.

So is it ok to chew? I would rather smell smoke then have to deal with the slob who leaves his spit bottle laying around.Im not saying everyone that chews is a slob,but the few ruin it for the masses.

Our CCM chews, so, I don't see that going away anytime soon.

But, I don't see me worrying about a no smoking policy either.

How many chances before I get a day off???

No enforcement..........

:biglaugh:THIS POLICY WILL NEVER BE INFORCED. PERIOD.

At my barn the :nutkick:red shirt's persist in putting smoker's in the non- smoking truck's,even if there is a smoker's truck to use.:ranting2:
If a driver goes to management and complain's about somebody smoking in their assigned truck,they laugh in your face.

Well guys, you should have seen it coming.
Now that everybody has stopped talking on
their cell phones this had to be next.
Buck up and get with the program!!:biglaugh:

Good luck!

Peace

Good thing I'm trying to quit smoking. I think this company is trying to **** people off.

fed875 :clap:

I asked about this new policy today.
And this only pertains to not smoking inside company vehicles of any kind.
They are not going to outlaw smoking in open areas or in
your own home. :biglaugh:

Although anybody that still smokes today
must really love to pay taxes. :ranting2:

Nicotine is classified as a drug--not sure about the tar in cigaretes. This company has a rehab program for substance (nicotine in this case ) abuse. So before Oct.1 all smokers need to ban together, get their FMLA papers taken care of and take off work and leave them short-handed til you've quit. The person that signed the memo (Can't use names on this site) must have had his head screwed on backwards when he decided on just two week notice. Physicians and research has stated and verified to get of cigs takes from 6-20 weeks depending on the program you use (pills, patches,etc.).I know this can be a great health benefit to us all but get real on the deadline. WAKE-UP Larry M!!!!!!!