New Penn | New Penn Motor Express Withdrawl From TMI

Kennesaw Kid

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
In a letter sent out to all NMFA Local unions dated 8/20/ 2007 From the IBT Freight Director's office......

"Teamsters National Freight Industry Negotiating Committee (TNFINC) has received notice from New Penn Motor Express, Inc. that they are withdrawing from Trucking Management Inc. multiemployer collective bargaining group. This withdrawal was expected by TNFINC as this has been done for the past two NMFA's. This company's intent is to bargain directly with TNFINC for a successor agreement."

"A meeting has been scheduled with New Penn to discuss these issues and we will keep you apprised."

This company's intent is to bargain directly with TNFINC for a successor agreement.

:hide:

That doesn't sound good, and I don't even know what it means. What is a successor agreement?

That doesn't sound good, and I don't even know what it means. What is a successor agreement?

It means nothing. They are just protecting their butts in the event of a strike which will never happen.

By dropping out they can agree to a "me too" agreement and keep working in the unlikely event there was a freight strike.

No big news here. Happens all the time.

I really don't know the answer to this question and I hope someone can help me. I have only been with New Penn for just over 3yrs.,and wasn't here for the last contract. When a company pulls out of TMI like NP just did do I still get some kind a vote on the contract or do I just have to take what is there because of the "me too" status?

We're all under the yrc company. Doesn't mean each individual company can't represent themselves differently. But on a side note, don't think Dollar Bill isn't still telling you what to do either.

I would of thaught new penn would be under the yrc umbrella.

New Penn's way of doing business and the issues and competition that they face are very different than those of Yellow, Roadway and USF.

So I think it makes sense to work on these issues apart from the other companies.

New Penn's profit picture is much different than the other family companies as well so it could mean that New Penn IBT employees earn more than the others.

What do you mean by earn more, we all get the same rate of pay. Or are you talking about our O.R. and the higher return on the dollar?

I believe TP is suggesting NP employees should make more if they represented themselves alone. TP it's been a while since you guy's were on your own, meaning without big-brother Roadway-Yellow. Small stand-alone companies are far and few between. You guy's are strong and I can appreciate that. I agree with the fact NP has different needs, as do we at Holland. Competition in our region is fierce and work rules will be changing or else. As far as earnings and pay, don't forget where Holland was a few years ago. Things can slip fast. GRIZZ

During every contract bargaining season union companies want give backs for improvements.

Newpenn might want to be more in control of their deal,instead of being grouped in with the rest?

Just a thought from an old x-Teamster.

During every contract bargaining season union companies want give backs for improvements.

Newpenn might want to be more in control of their deal,instead of being grouped in with the rest?

Just a thought from an old x-Teamster.

It was explained to us in a meeting this am,basicly it is an agreement between the IBT and newpenn It is a "We too" agreement,ie.whatever the big guys get Newpenn will get They just don't want to be part of the negotations ....
Other companies do this also Newpenn has done it in the past as Redstar had did it also

Crazy in 1994 HMES signed a "We Too" as you guys are presently doing. If you remember Holland's position in the LTL sector was similar to New Penn's. I believe the IBT used HMES as a bargaining tool because we were so profitable, where other carriers were allowed to maintain and gain business during the strike. I see New Penn in a similar position. Is it coming to a point that companies needs or should I say work rules, need to be negotiated separately? I know Holland doesn't need the same work rules as Yellow. Their about to break us with their stupid "Dock Wave" procedures. GRIZZ

Crazy in 1994 HMES signed a "We Too" as you guys are presently doing. If you remember Holland's position in the LTL sector was similar to New Penn's. I believe the IBT used HMES as a bargaining tool because we were so profitable, where other carriers were allowed to maintain and gain business during the strike. I see New Penn in a similar position. Is it coming to a point that companies needs or should I say work rules, need to be negotiated separately? I know Holland doesn't need the same work rules as Yellow. Their about to break us with their stupid "Dock Wave" procedures. GRIZZ

As far as I'm concerned, everything yellow touches turns to crap.

What is this stupid "Dock Wave" procedure you speak of??? When I drive by the office window on the forklift I usually give them the finger,:tongue0002: no waving involved, sometime two just in case they didn’t see the first one!!!! We are experiencing a rash of stupidity on our dock at night. New people training new people (dock casuals) it isn’t working out, lot of damages before it leaves the terminal. If you try to help them they get snippy, they are freight experts after a couple of weeks. Try to explain that the freight is our bread and butter to no avail.:chairshot: Oh well I hope some day they will catch on!!!
:smilie_132:

i thought you worked for the best company out there and everyone else worked for satan? now in your own house you admit that yellow is destroying you. you got a set of stones that aren't visable under a microscope.

first off, i NEVER said New Penn was the best i just happen to enjoy my job and i know for a fact that aint too many co.'s in my area that are better. second, i do admit that Yellow's management is no good but as long as they don't mess with NP's operation , im not complaining. now, in some of your posts you don't deny that NEMF is a dump. your just worried about your checks not clearing correct ? what about my posts don't you understand ? getting back to Yellow, when RDWY acquired NP nothing much,if anything, in our operation was touched. as of right now there's nothing for me to complain about. unlike your co., we aint giving loads away to ANYBODY !

first off, i NEVER said New Penn was the best i just happen to enjoy my job and i know for a fact that aint too many co.'s in my area that are better. second, i do admit that Yellow's management is no good but as long as they don't mess with NP's operation , im not complaining. now, in some of your posts you don't deny that NEMF is a dump. your just worried about your checks not clearing correct ? what about my posts don't you understand ? getting back to Yellow, when RDWY acquired NP nothing much,if anything, in our operation was touched. as of right now there's nothing for me to complain about. unlike your co., we aint giving loads away to ANYBODY !

You could not be more wrong. New Penn gives away multiple trailer loads of freight everyday in Buffalo,even with guys on layoff. This company is the biggest abuser of giving their work away. Worst shop in Buff to work for by far!