XPO | New pups?????

I agree, it looked fine, but was told it's not dot compliant.
How is it NOT DOT compliant? You can run a truck with 24.5 and have an old trailer as your lead and have 22.5 tires on your dolly and hook a new trailer as your kite.

pCNgpVR.jpg

yl3xXMm.jpg

This issue is less about tire size and more about coupling height. Tire size doesn't tell me much, what matters is the coupling height of the tractor and the coupling height of the trailer. All of our standard pups will show a coupler height of 50" on the i.d. tag on the nose of the trailer. The newest pups show a coupler height of 47". And yes, the new trailers do measure 3 inches taller at the nose. We all carry tape measures now, so you've hooked a new pup to your tractor or converter. What's the measurement from the ground to the base of the nose of the trailer? 47" keeps you safe while 50" puts you above 13'6".

Last edited:
We get no communication at our terminal I guess it's punishment for voting the union in. It's sad how childish the company is being with us especially when it comes to something like this when it come to safety but that's a story for another day.
We have taken it on are own to make sure everyone is aware of this problem.

Don't feel bad. Our terminal has had no official word passed down to the drivers on this matter. We only have hearsay and conjecture to go on. I am assuming they are waiting till someone installs a sunroof on a trailer before we get word.

Last edited:
pCNgpVR.jpg

yl3xXMm.jpg

This issue is less about tire size and more about coupling height. Tire size doesn't tell me much, what matters is the coupling height of the tractor and the coupling height of the trailer. All of our standard pups will show a coupler height of 50" on the i.d. tag on the nose of the trailer. The newest pups show a coupler height of 47". And yes, the new trailers do measure 3 inches taller at the nose. We all carry tape measures now, so you've hooked a new pup to your tractor or converter. What's the measurement from the ground to the base of the nose of the trailer? 47" keeps you safe while 50" puts you above 13'6".
True but 24.5 tires are 3" taller than lowpro 22.5. So for use it is a tire issue.

I think it points is the lack of communication from management to the drivers. The fact they would create a potentially hazardous situation by putting these trailers out into service and not cummunicate the potential problem to those who need to know. I know there a nicely printed sign by the glad hands but come on . Unfortunately in the desperate rush to hire more drivers we have gained some people with very limited or any experience. We see and here about the breakdown of communication at all levels all the time with Xpo . I know they said to give it time they needed time to learn the business and communication would get better. Then I see Jacobs on Mad money at least 5 times since he bought us so I know communications is not a problem for them if they want too.

In the mean time I hope the damaged trailers and property is kept to a minimum.

Last edited:
I think it points is the lack of communication from management to the drivers. The fact they would create a potentially hazardous situation by putting these trailers out into service and not cummunicate the potential problem to those who need to know. I know there a nicely printed sign by the glad hands but come on . Unfortunately in the desperate rush to hire more drivers we have gained some people with very limited or any experience. We see and here about the breakdown of communication at all levels all the time with Xpo . I know they said to give it time they needed time to learn the business and communication would get better. Then I see Jacobs on Mad money at least 5 times since he bought us so I know communications is not a problem for them if they want too.

In the mean time I hope the damaged trailers and property is kept to a minimum.
I guess that's why they put a big warning sticker right by the glad hands saying not to use a trk with 24.5 tires.

I guess that's why they put a big warning sticker right by the glad hands saying not to use a trk with 24.5 tires.

Unless you are getting on the toll road, is this two - three inches ever going to actually be an issue ? I understand the concepts at play here. But is there any Barney out there that will notice ?

Unless you are getting on the toll road, is this two - three inches ever going to actually be an issue ? I understand the concepts at play here. But is there any Barney out there that will notice ?
Not until someone makes a trailer a convertible or you get that DOT officer that read the sticker and gets the tape measure out

Trees , wires , roofs at dock locations I think it's a big deal. We had a supervisor tell a driver to disregard the the warning sign the other day and take a high cube trailer with a 24.5 tractor on his run. Freight first safety second.

Trees , wires , roofs at dock locations I think it's a big deal. We had a supervisor tell a driver to disregard the the warning sign the other day and take a high cube trailer with a 24.5 tractor on his run. Freight first safety second.
Why did he not refuse?

He called our shop Stewart who intervened before he left the yard. He was a junior man and made the supervisor aware and was told by the supervisor it would be ok just watch bridge heights . He did the the right thing and didn't leave the yard . Possible catastrophe averted.Had someone not intervened on his behalf he may have gone out out .

I area is a metro area and has many sub 13'6" underpasses. We have a hard time with the current low cube trailers as it is. Hell , nobody from the company said anything about the danger of the combination.

Last edited:
He called our shop Stewart who intervened before he left the yard. He was a junior man and made the supervisor aware and was told by the supervisor it would be ok just watch bridge heights . He did the the right thing and didn't leave the yard . Possible catastrophe averted.Had someone not intervened on his behalf he may have gone out out .

I area is a metro area and has many sub 13'6" underpasses. We have a hard time with the current low cube trailers as it is. Hell , nobody from the company said anything about the danger of the combination.
How do you have a shop steward without a contract?

Anyone have an idea why the glad hands and landing gear crank is on the left? No way it's an oversight .

What can they do? there is no contract to enforce, who appointed, elected them?
There is Weingarten rights that exists even without a contract. Yes it's a grey area but the company has recognized our stewards and allows them to be involved to a certain point when it comes to disaplinary actions but it's a work in progress. We do have more rights then we have excercized to this point. The stewards were appointed by majority decision.

Every other company is like that. We were the anomaly.
I definitely understand that we are alone in that but why change ? It didn't save anybody any money. Easier for customers? Easier to merge? No biggie just curious. Thought someone might have some insight to quench my curiosity.

heFqjhb.jpg

This may answer why the left hand equipped trailers. This was at Xhg last night two loaded trailers and left with to loads to Xmi. There's been a few in the last week doing the same. Owner operators hauling our line haul freight. We were told the high cube trailers were only to be used between fac's and not intended for city use.

Last edited: