New rule allows pilots to fly with doctors agreement and no followup physical

Vwaggs

TB Veteran
Credits
What out for an airplane crashing into your house.

"BasicMed is the best thing to happen to general aviation in decades," said AOPA President and CEO Mark Baker. (Watch a video of Baker's remarks.) "By putting medical decisions in the hands of pilots and their doctors, instead of the FAA, these reforms will improve safety while reducing burdensome and ineffective bureaucracy that has thwarted participation in general aviation."

Under the reforms, pilots who have held a valid medical certificate any time in the decade prior to July 15, 2016, may not need to take another FAA medical exam. The 10-year look back period applies to both regular and special issuance medicals.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...rd-class-medical-reform#.WHWBlIJCGoM.facebook

Reactions: mud
Did you read the regulations? Give me the short and sweet of them if you can. This is not much different than it is for truckers.
as i read it, i take it to mean, no more physicals, if they had one before the cut off date....(10 years prior..???)

Under the reforms, pilots who have held a valid medical certificate any time in the decade prior to July 15, 2016, may not need to take another FAA medical exam. The 10-year lookback period applies to both regular and special issuance medicals. Pilots whose most recent medical certificate was revoked, suspended, withdrawn, or denied will need to obtain a new medical certificate before they can operate under the reforms. Pilots who have never held an FAA medical certificate, including student pilots, will need to go through the process one time only.

so then they have a stressful job too and they can get heart attacks, strokes, etc, but they no longer need a physical..???

again, this will never happen to us truckers.

i'm "best guessing", the pilots strong union and lobbyists, helped see this happen....

what do we truckers have..???

some schmoe in bib overalls and crusty underwear......

as i read it, i take it to mean, no more physicals, if they had one before the cut off date....(10 years prior..???)

Under the reforms, pilots who have held a valid medical certificate any time in the decade prior to July 15, 2016, may not need to take another FAA medical exam. The 10-year lookback period applies to both regular and special issuance medicals. Pilots whose most recent medical certificate was revoked, suspended, withdrawn, or denied will need to obtain a new medical certificate before they can operate under the reforms. Pilots who have never held an FAA medical certificate, including student pilots, will need to go through the process one time only.

so then they have a stressful job too and they can get heart attacks, strokes, etc, but they no longer need a physical..???

again, this will never happen to us truckers.

i'm "best guessing", the pilots strong union and lobbyists, helped see this happen....

what do we truckers have..???

some schmoe in bib overalls and crusty underwear......
My interpretation is a little different. FAA exam once and done? Yes, still need a physical ever 4 years but that is all for private pilots flying planes with less than six seats for themselves below 18,000' at less than 250 MPH (probably KPH). Bigger plane, for hire, higher altitudes, commercial, all remain the same as it has been.

then i must be confused..you're flying an aircraft, you should have a physical on a regular basis. i cannot fathom that nothing will go wrong with anyone with the potential to take out a building, home, school, etc while flying.

then too, maybe a mental evaluation as well. several weeks ago, didn't some student pilot purposely crash a plane...with his INSTRUCTOR on board,...???

now let's "look at" these so-called flying cars.....oh great, put them into the hands of the mentally incapacitated, and those on heart meds, or anti-depressants..!!!

"you're in the air"...you MUST BE 1000% physically AND mentally fit year after year, none of this 48 month bullcrap.....(or only once)

the "potential" for mass destruction is there, small single engine 2 seater, or commercial 500(??) seater......

hell, even a glider can be loaded with explosives or poisons, and crash land someplace....

The more things (seem) to change......the more backwards they (appear to) travel.....I'll bet NECK SIZE matters not, just sayin'. Less on this later.

then i must be confused..you're flying an aircraft, you should have a physical on a regular basis. i cannot fathom that nothing will go wrong with anyone with the potential to take out a building, home, school, etc while flying.

then too, maybe a mental evaluation as well. several weeks ago, didn't some student pilot purposely crash a plane...with his INSTRUCTOR on board,...???

now let's "look at" these so-called flying cars.....oh great, put them into the hands of the mentally incapacitated, and those on heart meds, or anti-depressants..!!!

"you're in the air"...you MUST BE 1000% physically AND mentally fit year after year, none of this 48 month bullcrap.....(or only once)

the "potential" for mass destruction is there, small single engine 2 seater, or commercial 500(??) seater......

hell, even a glider can be loaded with explosives or poisons, and crash land someplace....
ANY Pilot at ANYTIME ANYWHERE near "a concrete jungle" whilst airborne has the potential to take out a building, home, school, etc.....
How physically and medically fit from acquisition to renewal (when or if needed) are these many (questionable) truck drivers that have a top of the line 2 year Med Card??
--I'm a wee bit less "physically fit" than when I got my med card in '15.--
Thanx, B Well, CHEERS!!

ANY Pilot at ANYTIME ANYWHERE near "a concrete jungle" whilst airborne has the potential to take out a building, home, school, etc.....
Eeeeee, yes but not really. My Cessna 172 grosses out a #2440 max, it can't do much more damage than a car and up against concrete there is rarely damage to the building (a few years ago a base a ball player plowed into a 'scraper in NY along the Hudson Corridor and the building won the duel hands down). Could I pick out my bosses house and take it out? Probably. When accidents do occur they rarely include buildings and most of them occur during takeoff and landing.