XPO | New Safety Policy

vetran peddleman

FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY
Credits
Our FOS and SCM shared w/ us at our am briefing this morning that our safety policy has been changed...especially in the area of 'driver distractions'. One of the big changes is relative to electronic devises. They told us that the new policy going forward is that if you get caught w/ an electronic devise in your hand via drive cam, it no longer just a coachable event...but will now be a strike in your safety bucket. You had to know that this was coming !

Anybody heard any other details or have any thoughts on the issue? :popcorn:

Our FOS and SCM shared w/ us at our am briefing this morning that our safety policy has been changed...especially in the area of 'driver distractions'. One of the big changes is relative to electronic devises. They told us that the new policy going forward is that if you get caught w/ an electronic devise in your hand via drive cam, it no longer just a coachable event...but will now be a strike in your safety bucket. You had to know that this was coming !

Your surprised? I laughed out loud when they brought them in and said, coaching only. No strikes.

Our scm did not tell us it was a strike. I don't remember it in the powerpoints we were shown, either.

Our regional safety manager was sitting there and he didn't mention it being a strike either.

None of us should be playing with our electronic devices while we are driving. Come on, if you work the city you must see a dozen cases of drivers obstructing traffic every day while they text all of their buddies, I know I do.

Your surprised? I laughed out loud when they brought them in and said, coaching only. No strikes.

That was what, 3 or 4 years ago now? I think they've fulfilled that commitment to "just coaching". If someone is still driving around with a phone or handheld in their hand, or without a seatbelt, or any other obvious violations of the law, I've got no sympathy.

That was what, 3 or 4 years ago now? I think they've fulfilled that commitment to "just coaching". If someone is still driving around with a phone or handheld in their hand, or without a seatbelt, or any other obvious violations of the law, I've got no sympathy.
Then don't blow smoke up our asses. I looked the safety MGR right in the eye. He said it would never be used to punish.

$8 million yearly is the budget for these issues ( so I've heard ) and we've blown through this.

M. Leathers ( formerly director of line haul ) is now responsible for cutting incidents by 50% - soooo , the roll out of the new policy.

When they decide to do something about the cell phone use on the dock then I'll listen to them

We weren't told we would be given strikes for these incidents. However, to add to the points, we were told our record would be looked into and if we have had three incidents in the previous year, management and others would come in and have a conference as to why we are repeat offenders. They also mentioned the possibility of LOI's.

None of us should be playing with our electronic devices while we are driving. Come on, if you work the city you must see a dozen cases of drivers obstructing traffic every day while they text all of their buddies, I know I do.
^^^^^^What he said, because he's right^^^^^^ Every working day I learn more about this company, XPO, and their style of management and let me just say it this way. With Conway, SCM's and even FOS's were given broad discretion over their individual operations, no more. XPO has taken away that individual discretion that managers used to enjoy and has consolidated that power in the upper ranks, which takes me back to electronic devices. They set a lofty goal, 50%. Conway set high safety goals, but rarely achieved them and nothing drastic occurred to bring about chance. XPO, IMO has fired a warning shot across our bow with this new goal and new policy. This is just the beginning and I can foresee a day in the future where if they don't get what they want out of us, they will ban us from even having a cell phone in our trucks and poof! No more distracted driving. I would strongly suggest to those of you who can't stop texting little Suzie Rottencrotch all day long to find a way to bring it under control before the company decides to get more aggressive.

With truck drivers it's no different than it is with the four wheelers. If there isn't stiff punishment for texting and driving, nobody pays attention to the warnings. And if the accident frequencies are on the rise, there is not doubt that every company will eventually start dropping the hammer down on this distracted driving issue. The roads are full of these fools who are constantly texting and messing with their phones........don't be one of them.

I don't remember them saying distracted driving would put points in your bucket. That being said, if you break the law, you should get points. if you break the law repeatedly, maybe you shouldn't be a professional driver.

all we seen was a short video on a computer with a bad internet connection that said there was a new safety policy, but nobody knew was the policy was they need to give us this in writing. This was the first message we've heard since XPO took over

Then don't blow smoke up our asses. I looked the safety MGR right in the eye. He said it would never be used to punish.

What a jerk for not foreseeing that 4 years later the company would be acquired and the new management might have different views.

Gosh, how dare he.

Yeah UN...but you probably looked a Conway manager straight in the eye when these drive cams first came out. Now under XPO's reign...things are a little bit more strict.
I only have one question for XPO...What happened to your promise, in writing by the way, that you stated nothing about Conway's policies and procedures would change until 2017??? It's your company and you have the authority and right to run it anyway you want...but you shouldn't make promises that you don't intend to keep. Your bad XPO!!! :upset: