XPO | New Safety Policy

I don't remember them saying distracted driving would put points in your bucket. That being said, if you break the law, you should get points. if you break the law repeatedly, maybe you shouldn't be a professional driver.

They specifically told us that they are going after all the guys who insist on engaging w/ an electronic devices while driving. "This serious driving distraction will earn you a strike," we were told.. I asked about a seat belt violation whether that would merit a strike ... they said, "no strike there, just coaching like the old policy.

$8 million yearly is the budget for these issues ( so I've heard ) and we've blown through this.

M. Leathers ( formerly director of line haul ) is now responsible for cutting incidents by 50% - soooo , the roll out of the new policy.

I pity this man. With the current environment. How do you get drivers to give a ::shit:: about anything ?

I only have one question for XPO...What happened to your promise, in writing by the way, that you stated nothing about Conway's policies and procedures would change until 2017??? It's your company and you have the authority and right to run it anyway you want...but you shouldn't make promises that you don't intend to keep. Your bad XPO!!! :upset:

All they said was that pay and benefits would be no less than current levels - I don't remember any promises about policies, procedures, terminal closures, lane cuts, layoffs, subservice, etc..

It seems that several people heard, "We won't change anything for a year", and that's not what XPO said.

All they said was that pay and benefits would be no less than current levels - I don't remember any promises about policies, procedures, terminal closures, lane cuts, layoffs, subservice, etc..

It seems that several people heard, "We won't change anything for a year", and that's not what XPO said.
They sure changed your 401k before October 2016, after they said pay and bennies would stay the same until then.

Maybe they have changed their minds about keeping drivers.
I doubt that they will continue to hire any drivers. Why should they, since all they have to do is move the current line haul guys over to the city, and load more NON-company vans for the line haul runs.

Cost the company money and you are gone.
I would recommend that everyone mind their p's and q's until the freight picks up. When it's slow, everyone becomes disposable.

Our scm did not tell us it was a strike. I don't remember it in the powerpoints we were shown, either.

Our regional safety manager was sitting there and he didn't mention it being a strike either.
My RM said the same thing. Asked him directly. They are looking at changing it, no firm decision has been made.

They specifically told us that they are going after all the guys who insist on engaging w/ an electronic devices while driving. "This serious driving distraction will earn you a strike," we were told.. I asked about a seat belt violation whether that would merit a strike ... they said, "no strike there, just coaching like the old policy.

Update... just got an update from my SCM that electronic device infractions caught by drive cam events will be treated the same as an accident, injury and will I guess include a lol and counseling, (coaching)...but not warrant a strike. Corporate clarified this w/ an e-mail right after our Monday morning briefing.

Sorry for the misinformation that has conflicted and confused what you have heard from your people.
I just wish that our guys would give it to us straight in the 1st place. :nono h4h:

Yeah UN...but you probably looked a Conway manager straight in the eye when these drive cams first came out. Now under XPO's reign...things are a little bit more strict.
I only have one question for XPO...What happened to your promise, in writing by the way, that you stated nothing about Conway's policies and procedures would change until 2017??? It's your company and you have the authority and right to run it anyway you want...but you shouldn't make promises that you don't intend to keep. Your bad XPO!!! :upset:
One person covering their butt: Leathers. He's doi
Update... just got an update from my SCM that electronic device infractions caught by drive cam events will be treated the same as an accident, injury and will I guess include a lol and counseling, (coaching)...but not warrant a strike. Corporate clarified this w/ an e-mail right after our Monday morning briefing.

Sorry for the misinformation that has conflicted and confused what you have heard from your people.
I just wish that our guys would give it to us straight in the 1st place. :nono h4h:
This is the second time that my terminal manager has ( I'm in the old CCX region ) given out incorrect information following a corporate e-mail or video.

I might be in the minority here, but I'm actually a little sad that they won't be treating distracted driving infractions a little more seriously, up too and including termination. My family, my wife, sisters, nieces, nephews, friends, and random citizens are all out there with us. None of them should be put at any more risk than is absolutely necessary on the roads, or as pedestrians.

I'm not without sin on the subject, but I almost never touch my phone while driving not for my own safety but for everyone elses. I don't want to bear the weight of having taken a life over a text.

Start writing these guys up and get them off the road.

I might be in the minority here, but I'm actually a little sad that they won't be treating distracted driving infractions a little more seriously, up too and including termination. My family, my wife, sisters, nieces, nephews, friends, and random citizens are all out there with us. None of them should be put at any more risk than is absolutely necessary on the roads, or as pedestrians.

I'm not without sin on the subject, but I almost never touch my phone while driving not for my own safety but for everyone elses. I don't want to bear the weight of having taken a life over a text.

Start writing these guys up and get them off the road.

Yeah. I don't wanna see good drivers gone. But this is one of those that's clearly your own doing. Use hands free is cool though.

I remember watching myth busters... a while back. They did a show with a hands free device V.S. non hands free and the results were the same.

I am one to use my phone other then a phone for calls or texting. I use it to look up customers on Google maps (directions) or the radio apps.
Also

Yeah. I don't wanna see good drivers gone. But this is one of those that's clearly your own doing. Use hands free is cool though.

Yeah, hands free is fine. I have an earbud in my ear all day (I always lose the bluetooths, smh), and nobody has an issue with it. But we've had guys texting and driving with their knees, watching videos, etc, etc. Totally unacceptable, in my opinion.

They're basically catching you doing something that is illegal in the states my terminal operates in and doing nothing to fix it. Not to mention the danger to the public. Even selfishly XPO should be concerned about lawsuits from crashes where they get sued and are forced to show the video of their driver texting and ramming a car full of people in court. Even insurance payments on single truck accidents.

Interesting. I was told no strike, but repeat offenders would be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Well freight is slow and this is one way to get rid of extra drivers.
If they really wanted to get rid of drivers, they could start writing up drivers that are caught smoking on camera. It's a violation of company policy, and it's against the law in many states. Three write ups and a driver could be fired with cause. But they don't do that.

My RM said the same thing. Asked him directly. They are looking at changing it, no firm decision has been made.

Yeah UN...it's like our guy is wishfully wanting it to be a 'strike' before the policy to change it to a 'strike' has occurred. Just jumping t gun you might say.