Central Transport | New SW Vice President Quits

I always thought you could you write off certain things if you were not making money...like certain expenses..but slugbug is the smart one in tx..Let him buzz in....Im not really sure on that...But look at how long YRC has held on with all there losses...And Central Freight here in tx....They have held on for years despite all there losses...Only time will tell i suppose...But you may be right.....But the shareholders didnt get to be shareholders by being stupid....i think they know something is up now that the New FexEx management team is falling apart...Its their money...Im sure they know..I stand by the 2nd quarter opinion...They will give Chris a little more time i think to try to breathe life back into this company..But i think there hopes will all be in vain. Too much damage has been done to the brand...VITRAN

vitran canada will be pulling up the stakes soon so their canadian side does'nt get pulled under. similar to what DHL found out dealing with operating in the u.s.

we have half a dozen senior guys working the city and they're the ones getting 6o hrs plus on average because we have a lousy dispatcher. these drivers are grossing $65k plus a year while the drivers at the bottom are starving. on average we're missing 40 plus pickups a day and no one is getting fired. i don't expect this hole to be open this time next year.

like I said....they aren't running off the good ones.....not over money anyway

And runaway train, there ain't nothing to "write off in taxes" when you are not making a profit brother for the past 4 years.

One point I made before, and I will make it again! The story of us not making money according to the figures shown are based on what Vitran wants to show the IRS. I would like to see the balance sheets for myself, simply because this figure is after all the "extra" write offs business's get like depreciation, but what is the figure BEFORE write offs is what matters. No profit=no takes to pay. Get it?

It would make perfect sense to fudge the numbers and show a great loss...That way you would not have to pay any tax at all...Damn those Canadians are smart.

Don't want to do that, to many people above us have the inside scoop on the real P&L figures and could collect an award from the IRS if this was for real.

Thats true....even Vitran are not stupid enough to mess with the IRS...now their employee's, thats a different story....Like my old boss used to say, quit complaining and just be glad you have a job. I run this show. Kinda funny, he got fired. Huh....guess he just thought he ran it.

This place is unbelievably bad. It's a shame because there are some good people here, old and new. If the mentality never changes then the chances of recovery are bleak

There are alot of good people here...And it is a shame...But the culture of Vitran remains the same...honestly im not sure they are capable of change. Change only happens when you act. And it takes WILL to act...I know that the upper levels care about this company, and about the people to some degree. But when you fail to turn a profit, you put us all at risk..Companies like Southeastern and Old Dominion thrived because the management created a culture...A positive mindset..Then they made good choices in critical areas of operations...Putting Top Quality Managers in service centers...People that have been in the the LTL business for years..Not people with very little LTL experience...The apathy in this company is a direct result of managements poor choices...They have stripped away the pride of their employees...Its like taking the wings from a bird....How can it fly? When people try so hard to do the right thing, only to get knocked down by something that is out of there control. It creates a culture. Apathy sets in when you are set up to fail...When you try so hard, and give 100% ...Only to have managements poor choices make it all in vain...That my friend is how you destroy a company...Building a strong company doesnt happen by accident...Its not a matter of circumstances..Its a matter of choices...Its a matter of making positive steps forward..Even baby steps will do...But move forward...Dont go backwards

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Train Man. Don't know that I can add anything of value to what you said other than this. CK is not going to be the man to save the small V. He is a thug, the folks he is putting in place of those he has fired are a complete failure, the job they are doing compared to those they replaced is a disaster. Harrisburg, Spring City, Baltimore, South Plainfield are an "unmitigated disaster". Gaetz needs to understand the time to react and be involved in his company was 10 years ago. CK has no experience managing financial matters as did Kosovec. CK is spending money as if his checkbook came from Fedex. Kosovec in his worst year lost 3 million dollars. Vitran is now losing between 4 and 5 million a month.

Good Day

Also remember r.gaetz put us in this mess by buying other faling companies that he paid way to much for. 134 million for pjax that was only worth 22 million. Milan 80 million that was only worth 13 million. Why pay so much for something when the economy is down. He didnt have the money to play the game. I guess it was he great vision but its backed fired on him.
well said train man. Don't know that i can add anything of value to what you said other than this. Ck is not going to be the man to save the small v. He is a thug, the folks he is putting in place of those he has fired are a complete failure, the job they are doing compared to those they replaced is a disaster. Harrisburg, spring city, baltimore, south plainfield are an "unmitigated disaster". Gaetz needs to understand the time to react and be involved in his company was 10 years ago. Ck has no experience managing financial matters as did kosovec. Ck is spending money as if his checkbook came from fedex. Kosovec in his worst year lost 3 million dollars. Vitran is now losing between 4 and 5 million a month.

Good day

In his defense he is spending the money that should have been spent over the last 5yrs. You have to be competitive, Vitran isn't. Pay your employees, pay your bills, service your customers. Get out of the markets that are too big, west coast comes to mind, and focus on specific regions. Rebuild from the ground up, start with a rebrand, lose the name then lose the reputation

I have always put most of the blame on Gaetz....Like me and many others have said before, when Vitran was making money and thriving. He did not re-invest the money in technology, such as scanners which have been in this industry for 2 decades. He neglects this company for years and expects Chris to come in and be its savior. Sorry it doesnt work that way...It took years of neglect to put us in the spot we are in right now..It will take years to come out...But we are so far behind the rest of the pack i'm not sure we can catch up. The company is broke and losing money and on the brink of collapse...In my opinion the only way they can survive is shut down the west and southwest and concentrate on their core states in the NE where the density is good..The NE is where Vitran makes there money... Get out of Tx. and Ca. where the density is horrible...Gaetz try to build another Old Dominion but has failed miserably...Cut your losses and humble yourself a bit...And just admit you bit off more than you could chew.

I have always put most of the blame on Gaetz....Like me and many others have said Gaetz before, when Vitran was making money and thriving. He did not re-invest the money in tecnology, such as scanners which have been in this industry for 2 decades. He neglects this company for years and expects Chris to come in and be its savior. Sorry it doesnt work that way...It took years of neglect to put us in the spot we are in right now..It will take years to come out...But we are so far behind the rest of the pack i'm not sure we can catch up. The company is broke and losing money and on the brink of collapse...In my opinion the only way they can survive is shut down the west and southwest and concentrate on their core states in the NE where the density is good..The NE is where Vitran makes there money...And it always has...Gaetz try to build another Old Dominion but has failed miserably...Cut your losses and humble yourself a bit...And just admit you bit off more than you could chew.
basically use footprint that pjax was utilizing before vitran bought them, pjax did make a profit before the purchase. after you downsize, then you can shutdown the indy headquarters.

Downsizing is the key..But it gets tricky on selecting the states to eliminate...But Tx. and Ca. gotta go....

i would downsize to the core, shutdown indy headquarters and take the good equipment and distribute to the remaining terminals and can the garbage. that relieves the wasted money in running non profitable terminals, leaves 1 linehaul and 1 u.s. headquarters and improves c.s.a. rating along with reduced repair costs.

I agree totally...And that would mean the loss of my job...and many more...But as i have said many times before...Sometimes you must prune a tree...Sometimes you must cut the dead limbs off and even healthy ones to stimulate growth....And always remember that a disease from a rotten limb could destroy the whole tree...That is where this company is....they either make the necessary cuts or risk losing the whole company....And its as simple as that.