New terminal

Discussion in 'Saia' started by gearraker, Sep 25, 2017.

1. gearraker

gearraker Active Member

Allentown pa set to open in october

2. ltltrkr

ltltrkr Active Member

It shows on the website for Allentown location- TBD( to be determined). If they were opening in October you think the address would be posted. Hell the posted Balt and had not started work on the. Leg.

3. Pooty tang

Pooty tang New Member

4. gearraker

gearraker Active Member

It also says we will start servcing nyc directly...wonder what terminal that will be

5. PistonRing83

PistonRing83 Well-Known Member

It will have to be a terminal full of straight trucks if they plan on getting anything done.

6. ltltrkr

ltltrkr Active Member

7. ltltrkr

ltltrkr Active Member

That's right about straight trucks! No 102' wides thru tunnels, no haz mat of any kind thru Tunnels. Manahattan has size restrictions on streets( and they measure trucks all the time), all the boroughs have truck routes and they love to write tickets. I heard from a friend of mine that they were looking at the old Central Transport terminal in Farmingdale NY( Long Island). Saia now gives their 5 boor and Long Island freight to JP Express.

They can do like R&L and UPS Freight and say they go direct but give the freight to Truckrite in Brooklyn.

8. PistonRing83

PistonRing83 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they did try to service it themselves. They run all of downtown Chicago with 6-7 straight trucks out of CGO. Also have a couple of those low clearance liftgate pups as well.

9. jrz13

jrz13 Member

I used to deliver NYC, you gotta go over the GWB and then down through the local streets with ever other tractor trailer and the same way back. Complete pain in the butt and can you imagine the traffic. We were based in Secaucus at the time pulling out of NRT which sold one of its yards to what is now the Saia North Bergen terminal. Logistically speaking NYC is closer and easier to access from North Bergen, NJ then out on Long Island. North Bergen is next to Jersey City and 15 miles from the bridge. You leave before 530 am there's basically no traffic going over the GWB. Side note, R+L uses Sunrise Logistics in Maspeth Queens for their NYC deliveries. I used to go there twice a day to drop off loads, Brooklyn hasn't been used in over 6 years. Manhattan SUCKS driving a 53 in, and good luck if you miss your turn and have to go around the block, hope your on the clock cause it'll take a minute with all the one ways