FedEx Freight | New Tractor speeds

And being a California Road driver, I'm on the clock. I'm reminded of the old saying "As goes California, so goes the nation". The FMCSA has been trying to force all truck drivers onto hourly for 5 years or so...and I suspect they'll succeed within 3...thus eliminating the issue of how fast we go up hill...after all, as long as you're paid by the hour, who cares?

ST
With all due respect (because I usually agree with you), we have our own saying down here in the south...."we don't care how you do it up north" and in this case, I'll replace "up north" with "in California".
By agreeing to the $35 or so per hour that you guys make, I'll actually be taking a cut in pay, to the tune of around $15,340 per year...unless of course I wanted to work more than an hour and a half extra per day.
Thanks but I'll keep my mileage pay and get home an hour and a half earlier!!

Do yourselves a favor and stop fighting the tractor to begin with. Let it shift when it shifts and stop thinking about losing speed on hills. The guys at Eaton and Cummins are 100% right. Stop driving it like you stole it because that idea does not work in new trucks. This isn't an old Detroit 2-stroke, the ECU is doing most of the thinking. And it's programmed for maximum efficiency per EPA mandate.

The problem, IMO, is that a 10-speed is just too antiquated to have a good relationship with both the engine and the driver. The Volvo I-Shift and Detroit DT12 are both 12 speeds, as are most all European AMT's. The only manual transmission trucks I've been happy with that are newer have at least 13 speeds in them. My Ram pickup has an 8 speed in the name of efficiency. A 10 speed isn't a road transmission anymore IMO, and every rental I've driven with one has never felt like it was in the right gear.

Canadian flyer, we as company drivers have a double distraction that you haven't had to suffer with. Hills are one of the two problems that is created. I use your way of thinking and let the truck do what's it's going to do and I have to listen to the ear piercing vorad going off because I'm on a trucks ass that I can pass but will loose power half way in passing him. You say back off while going up a hill. I know you worked for a contractor and was not governored to a set speed. That in its self makes a long day.
Slow trucks where a pain to you as fast trucks are a pain to us. As a 30 year veteran out here I just don't flip a switch a deal with it very well.
I do agree the problem is the undersized trans. But I have found my time with Fedex they create a problem then take years to fix the problem they create.
Nothing like going up the cut in the hill in Kentucky going 8,7,8,7,8 because even the truck can't figure what gear it wants to be in.
If you're lucky to catch manual gear at the exact point it will allow you to then you can hold the 8 gear.
With all the distractions we have in today's world the truck should not be the biggest one. It should be just a natural flow of not having to think about it and just drive it.

With all due respect (because I usually agree with you), we have our own saying down here in the south...."we don't care how you do it up north" and in this case, I'll replace "up north" with "in California".
By agreeing to the $35 or so per hour that you guys make, I'll actually be taking a cut in pay, to the tune of around $15,340 per year...unless of course I wanted to work more than an hour and a half extra per day.

I understand your commentary. I work an hour longer every day than I did when I was paid task/mileage. Doesn't change the fact that FMCSA has been desperately trying to shove this down the industry's throat. Will they succeed??? That remains to be seen.

ST

Canadian flyer, we as company drivers have a double distraction that you haven't had to suffer with. Hills are one of the two problems that is created. I use your way of thinking and let the truck do what's it's going to do and I have to listen to the ear piercing vorad going off because I'm on a trucks ass that I can pass but will loose power half way in passing him. You say back off while going up a hill. I know you worked for a contractor and was not governored to a set speed. That in its self makes a long day.
Slow trucks where a pain to you as fast trucks are a pain to us. As a 30 year veteran out here I just don't flip a switch a deal with it very well.
I do agree the problem is the undersized trans. But I have found my time with Fedex they create a problem then take years to fix the problem they create.
Nothing like going up the cut in the hill in Kentucky going 8,7,8,7,8 because even the truck can't figure what gear it wants to be in.
If you're lucky to catch manual gear at the exact point it will allow you to then you can hold the 8 gear.
With all the distractions we have in today's world the truck should not be the biggest one. It should be just a natural flow of not having to think about it and just drive it.

We were told they're going to higher torque ratings to try and solve the problem you're describing here. As for the radar system, they're not going away, because they've been mandated by FMCSA. Time to retire....

You're wrong about the governed speed. Ontario and Quebec both mandate that trucks operating in those provinces must have their limiters set at 65mph. The only benefit I had over you is no VORAD, which is an awful system that needs serious work in regards to sensitivity.

The truck I drove at FedEx was a Volvo 780 with a 500hp 1750tq D13 and an I-Shift. It never hunted for gears (it never had to) and barely noticed the hills. 10 speeds don't have enough gears, and more torque is needed with the dropping in final drive ratio. The Volvo I drove got 7mpg all day long except in the dead of winter. The problem here is cost; companies like FedEx aren't properly respecing their trucks to meet fuel economy numbers and still be productive.

The average linehaul tractor on a dealer lot today is packing between 445-500hp, 1650-1850tq and at least 12 gears. 400hp, 1450tq and 10 gears just doesn't cut it anymore.

You're wrong about the governed speed. Ontario and Quebec both mandate that trucks operating in those provinces must have their limiters set at 65mph. The only benefit I had over you is no VORAD, which is an awful system that needs serious work in regards to sensitivity.

The truck I drove at FedEx was a Volvo 780 with a 500hp 1750tq D13 and an I-Shift. It never hunted for gears (it never had to) and barely noticed the hills. 10 speeds don't have enough gears, and more torque is needed with the dropping in final drive ratio. The Volvo I drove got 7mpg all day long except in the dead of winter. The problem here is cost; companies like FedEx aren't properly respecing their trucks to meet fuel economy numbers and still be productive.

The average linehaul tractor on a dealer lot today is packing between 445-500hp, 1650-1850tq and at least 12 gears. 400hp, 1450tq and 10 gears just doesn't cut it anymore.

Actually, the bright side is the freight tractors on order now will have more torque. The folks that order them have been told enough times about the power issue that they're increasing on the next batch to solve the problem.

Like everything else you spew on here your math amazes me. You have to drive flat on the floor all day. You are doing everything you can to avoid traffic delays including driving on them back roads thru the woods. Your pay goes down in traffic and theirs goes up. Do you realize they get $35 for tasks and run less miles a day because of the CA truck speed limit. You can run 65 mph max and they can only run 55 mph max. I'll bet their day is a lot less stressful than yours. Here is my math $35 divided by 55 mph is .636 per mile and they get $10 an more on their tasks.

Like everything else you spew on here your math amazes me. You have to drive flat on the floor all day. You are doing everything you can to avoid traffic delays including driving on them back roads thru the woods. Your pay goes down in traffic and theirs goes up. Do you realize they get $35 for tasks and run less miles a day because of the CA truck speed limit. You can run 65 mph max and they can only run 55 mph max. I'll bet their day is a lot less stressful than yours. Here is my math $35 divided by 55 mph is .636 per mile and they get $10 an more on their tasks.
My math is quite simple...mileage X mileage pay + task X hourly rate / how many hours worked per day = roughly $40.67 per hour per day for my bid, period. I also get paid for sitting in backups, although rare around these parts, but why not go around?? Why sit in the road for an hour when I can go around in 15 mins and be at home 45 mins sooner while increasing my "hourly pay"?? Stressful....I go through the gorge (a 30 mile stretch on I-40 through the Appalachian's where trucks must remain in the right lane with a speed limit of 50 and we're lucky to average 35mph) everyday while also going through a small town with 14 un-synchronized stop lights without stressing, the 55 mph speed limit for trucks through Tenn is a piece of cake...and all of that factored in still comes to around $40.67 per hour per day!!
Again, thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my mileage pay, make more per hour, and get home sooner!!

My math is quite simple...mileage X mileage pay + task X hourly rate / how many hours worked per day = roughly $40.67 per hour per day for my bid, period. I also get paid for sitting in backups, although rare around these parts, but why not go around?? Why sit in the road for an hour when I can go around in 15 mins and be at home 45 mins sooner while increasing my "hourly pay"?? Stressful....I go through the gorge (a 30 mile stretch on I-40 through the Appalachian's where trucks must remain in the right lane with a speed limit of 50 and we're lucky to average 35mph) everyday while also going through a small town with 14 un-synchronized stop lights without stressing, the 55 mph speed limit for trucks through Tenn is a piece of cake...and all of that factored in still comes to around $40.67 per hour per day!!
Again, thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my mileage pay, make more per hour, and get home sooner!!
you forget I work at the same location as you and that is an out right amazing hourly rate you've created for yourself ...even on a perfect day.

you forget I work at the same location as you and that is an out right amazing hourly rate you've created for yourself ...even on a perfect day.
Do the math, you'll find that since I used an even .65 per mile instead of our actual rate, the $40.67 per hour is actually a little low....but since you work at the same location, I'm sure you already knew that.
Even on my "worst" day, my bid still pays $38.77 per hour, still more than the $35 paid in Cali.

Last edited:
Do the math, you'll find that since I used an even .65 per mile instead of our actual rate, the $40.67 per hour is actually a little low....but since you work at the same location, I'm sure you already knew that.
Even on my "worst" day, my bid still pays $38.77 per hour, still more than the $35 paid in Cal
Even on my "worst" day, my bid still pays $38.77 per hour, still more than the $35 paid in Cali.
I've done the math and that's how I know your math is amazing or you have very good luck and a very fast tractor. Anyway ... Again YOU WIN I GIVE

If you could average 60 mph @.65/mile, that would be $39/hr. But you can NOT average 60 mph, based on what you said yourself:

....I go through the gorge (a 30 mile stretch on I-40 through the Appalachian's where trucks must remain in the right lane with a speed limit of 50 and we're lucky to average 35mph) everyday while also going through a small town with 14 un-synchronized stop lights without stressing, the 55 mph speed limit for trucks through Tenn is a piece of cake...and all of that factored in still comes to around $40.67 per hour per day!!

I don't care how fast you accomplish your "task pay" duties, you simply cannot average that hourly rate. :nono h4h:

As long as you believe it, I guess that is all that really matters... :hilarious:

I know the issue with Reds calculations he is using the pension hopes and dreams calculator. Use a regular calculator red you should be good then.

I know the issue with Reds calculations he is using the pension hopes and dreams calculator. Use a regular calculator red you should be good then.
This could explain the rosy predictions for his retirement numbers. I have no real interest in average hourly numbers, but I do have real concern for overly optimistic retirement projections, involving much more complicated calculations.

Red, we know you take pride in fending for yourself, but please, get a second opinion... and a new calculator. Please.

This could explain the rosy predictions for his retirement numbers. I have no real interest in average hourly numbers, but I do have real concern for overly optimistic retirement projections, involving much more complicated calculations.

Red, we know you take pride in fending for yourself, but please, get a second opinion... and a new calculator. Please.
No new calculator needed, mine works just fine!! :1036316054: