FedEx Freight | New Trailer Locks

Cody

TB Lurker
Credits
Here in Reno they are handing out keys for the new locks that will be on all FedEx freight equipment. We have to sign a form saying we are responsible for these keys to the point you can be terminated if you should loose three of them. Ist lost key is a verbal warnining and 2nd lost key is suspension I think. Some of our drivers are refusing to sign for the keys. They say signing for the keys is one thing being held liable for loosing one is another. I think FedEx management is going to have to back off on this one.

In the east we signed those a few months ago. Yesterday I saw my first new lock. Our shop said there was a recall on the locks for some reason

We have had the new locks for a couple months. They told us if we reported to work without our key we would be sent home to get it, and if we loose it we will have to pay for another one. The supervisor said that Fed Ex paid $50 a piece just for the keys ( not sure but I think they might have got screwed on that one )but he wasnt sure how much it would cost us if we lost one.

We have the same story too.
How offten do you loose your house keys ?
It is the same thing , don't loose it .

I don't understand the really, really secure locks when someone can take an axe or pair of tin snips and go into a trailer right through the side.

Rattlesnake said:
I don't understand the really, really secure locks when someone can take an axe or pair of tin snips and go into a trailer right through the side.

right on that one ,I think it should be documented as to what the cost of the key is going to be they want to able to have an adjustable rate on it

Santaclause said:
right on that one ,I think it should be documented as to what the cost of the key is going to be they want to able to have an adjustable rate on it
It probably depends on what part of the country you live in as to how much the key costs. You know higher transportation costs, inflation.....

I worked for a company that had you sigh for the keys too. The reason was that they were High Security locks and that the keys were special made and a copy couldn't be cut unless the person in charge gave the ok. The 50 bucks sounds like a figure that would make you pay attention. Medeco was the maker of the locks. Also if they catch someone with a key that hasn't signed for one could also mean goodbye.

You should be responsible for the keys you get, there are costs associated with these keys. Our customers are trusting you with their livelihood (with their product), I don't think this is an out of line request.

If an associate doesn't sign the slip then they don't get a key, easy enough to solve. Plus not signing something is useless anyway, what happens if you don't sign a write-up or a speeding ticket, you still get those even with a refusal to sign.

roog

The keys are an important part of the FedEx security procedures, and FedEx doesn't want this responsibility taken lightly. But on the other hand, we carry HM's on a large percentage of our loads. All drivers need to have access to the freight in case an Officer needs access, or, God forbid, an accident. Just take some responsibility, protect the key, and there's nothing to fret about. You already don't drive without you log book, your ID, or your paperwork. They brass isn't trying to railroad ANYBODY here. What would they gain from that?