XPO | New trailers, specifically vans

shamrockhockey

TB Lurker
Credits
Anybody pulling the new vans especially in the city operation, do you feel that they are unsafe? I ask because these specific vans, the air lines tend to disconnect often, especially during right turns. Extremely unsafe to exit the cab in traffic to reconnect these lines. Yes or no?

I pull one of he vans you're talking about and experienced the same thing you did, but only in hard right U-turns in parking lots. I had the shop install longer airlines and I repositioned the lines on the hanger behind the cab, it's mostly solved the problem and now I try to make all my hard U-turns to the left.

Anybody pulling the new vans especially in the city operation, do you feel that they are unsafe? I ask because these specific vans, the air lines tend to disconnect often, especially during right turns. Extremely unsafe to exit the cab in traffic to reconnect these lines. Yes or no?
You’re kidding, right? How in the HELL did these trailers get past the testing stage?

I pull one of he vans you're talking about and experienced the same thing you did, but only in hard right U-turns in parking lots. I had the shop install longer airlines and I repositioned the lines on the hanger behind the cab, it's mostly solved the problem and now I try to make all my hard U-turns to the left.

No different than hooking the dollies to a new trailer as your lead in a set. That blue line won't reach over half the time. Go to the shop and get them to put one on that is two foot longer.

I’ve had the same problem, the lines disconnect on me a few times throughout the day. I extended the airlines but now they get stuck under that step by the batteries. Such a flawed design, the lines are all the way to the right and they face outward, who allowed this to happen? I hate those damn vans

I’ve had the same problem, the lines disconnect on me a few times throughout the day. I extended the airlines but now they get stuck under that step by the batteries. Such a flawed design, the lines are all the way to the right and they face outward, who allowed this to happen? I hate those damn vans
Reposition the lines on the hanger spring and it should fix that. I deal with vans like this all the time and I had to adjust my tractor. Just avoid hard right turns with them. It takes getting used to.

Reposition the lines on the hanger spring and it should fix that. I deal with vans like this all the time and I had to adjust my tractor. Just avoid hard right turns with them. It takes getting used to.
Easier said than done. I moved the lines over and I extended them. It’s still a pain in the ass. These vans are meant for OTR not peddling. Avoid hard turns? I’m in NYC, that’s all we have is tight hard turns. We should be getting paid more than anyone else in the company.

Easier said than done. I moved the lines over and I extended them. It’s still a pain in the ass. These vans are meant for OTR not peddling. Avoid hard turns? I’m in NYC, that’s all we have is tight hard turns. We should be getting paid more than anyone else in the company.
No argument here. Peddling with a van with a setup like this is a pain. But it's also a perfectly legal setup that you can only compensate for.

What part of NYC? Downtown peddle routes are the worst, but NYC has to top the list.

I tried the suggested fix. Now the lines get caught on the electric plug at the cab and disconnect making left turns.
Airlines are sooo long that they hang down and touch catwalk. Even adjusting them to hang higher ( suspended by hanger springs ) doesn't work for long because a tight turn will uncouple the gladhands. And this pulls the airlines out of the helper springs letting them hang low enough to get caught on bolts sticking out of the frame during hard turns.

Yep. Really happens. Tore the emergency ( red airline ) off at a customer while making a hard turn - just below the gladhand. Broke down until a mechanic came and replaced the airline.

Are the gladhands on the trailer at a 45 degree or straight out? If on 45 the shop may try to retrofit them to straight ones.This would keep your airlines aligned better.

Airlines are sooo long that they hang down and touch catwalk. Even adjusting them to hang higher ( suspended by hanger springs ) doesn't work for long because a tight turn will uncouple the gladhands. And this pulls the airlines out of the helper springs letting them hang low enough to get caught on bolts sticking out of the frame during hard turns.

Yep. Really happens. Tore the emergency ( red airline ) off at a customer while making a hard turn - just below the gladhand. Broke down until a mechanic came and replaced the airline.
I had that happen

I work in sunny Florida and have to drive around all the ancient snowbirds that have moved down from NYC. I should be making more money than anyone else in the company.