R&L | New Truck speed / Turbos

Santa Claus

TB Lurker
Credits
My barn has replaced a lot turbos in the last 2 weeks... shop foreman said the turbos are failing due to the power being cut back to much. I am currious if anyone else see this as a trend? (its been on all the PT series macks)

Depending on which tractor and how the computer interpets the turn back... any where from 64-67mph. on my run the normal 45 mph hills are now 30mph.

Not Logical!!!

Depending on which tractor and how the computer interpets the turn back... any where from 64-67mph. on my run the normal 45 mph hills are now 30mph.

Wow nothin like killin the engine,let's see if we cut the power back then we can just rebuild the engine,DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!:duh:

I'm not sure why that would be? Yes I'm just as bent about the cut back but I'm not sure they are turning the torque or hp down just the speed.
Even if they did turn the hp down the turbo has a waste gate so it can not over work itself. I never get over 5mpg any how. No matter how gentle I am its always been 5.

As far as I know the warranty's are up on most of the newer trucks. I drove one of ours pt632 last night and it was ridiculuous the way it was cut back. Drinksold, do you know that mountain on 81 between the 104 and 112?, well I run that mountain nightly and I could only do about 27 tops with about 33000 pounds and a 2007 tractor. What a joke! It seems the company is wasting more money on mechanical repairs than on conserving fuel! The pedal only takes you to 66 and the cruise to 68 and when you coast down a hill and hit above 68, once you level out or approach another hill the cruise control doesn't kick in until somewhere in the low 60's. Look out Lebanon driver's, a Wilmington lead mechanic is in Scranton this week turning them down. Who knows, maybe your next.

:hysterical: And you guys were complainiing about slow trucks before.:nutkick:
I'd like to hear how the older trucks are handling it. It's gonna be interesting to see guys fighting over the old fords.:hysterical:

And you guys were complainiing about slow trucks before.:nutkick:
I'd like to hear how the older trucks are handling it. It's gonna be interesting to see guys fighting over the old fords.

:hysterical:I HAVE A 100 SERIES AND IT PULLS
BETTER THEN A PT MY TRUCK DOES ABOUT 73-75 I LUV IT BECOUSE KNOW 1 ELSE USES MY TRACTOR:smilie_132::smilie_132:

2nd shift if any mechanic knows the right code, they can adjust the settings on the truck to how they can run. the latest company turndown is only being done by wilmington head mechanics or a contracted crew. if your truck runs like you say it does, it won't for long. we once had a truck at my barn from another terminal that ran better that any truck in our fleet. obviously the mechanic at that terminal altered the company required settings on the truck.

2nd shift if any mechanic knows the right code, they can adjust the settings on the truck to how they can run. the latest company turndown is only being done by wilmington head mechanics or a contracted crew. if your truck runs like you say it does, it won't for long. we once had a truck at my barn from another terminal that ran better that any truck in our fleet. obviously the mechanic at that terminal altered the company required settings on the truck.
THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN DO IS HOPE THAT THEY TAKE THERE TIME GETTING TO MY TRUCK YA KNOW.I THINK THE ONLY THING THAT IS HELPING ME RIGHT NOW IS WE DON'T HAVE A BIG SHOP BOSS RIGHT KNOW OUT HERE IN PHI:biglaugh:

Old mechanical motors don't need a code... Just a good mechanic to keep them running.... Most of the guys in the shop have no clue on how to turn a mech. motor down:1036316054:.....................I've driven some old fords in the past.. Its luck of the draw some run great others bad:chairshot:.....

I have to laugh at some of the post here.

1) the horsepower is NOT being turned down
2) The speed is reduced to 67-68 MPH, MPH! If you ran wide open for a whole ten hour shift you lose what 40 miles?
3) I watched some Mack's getting "turned down" and found out we are activating the "cruise bonus". In effect it INCREASES the horsepower until you hit the speed they set. When we buy the Mack's they turn them down from what the engine can make potentially. On the cruise bonus the engine can use ALL the potential HP.
I had a driver jump me the other day over this issue spouting all kinds of ignorance...
Don't like it? Go owner operator then you can set your own speed.
By the way the GOVERNEMENT is talking about requiring trucks be turned down further, R&L is just trying to head off such legislative restrictions

speed and/or horsepower have nothing to do with the turbos going. on our new volvos at my company the turbos go out at about 250k -300k. it's just the oil seals or chamber seals wearing out and failing. as long as the wastegate actuator is working properly and there is oil flowing over the journals, it doesn't matter if it's on a 50 or 500 hp motor.

if you want to extend the life of your turbo, let the truck idle for about a minute before shutting it off. it lets the turbo and the oil flowing through it cool down. if you cut it off immediately a crust of oil forms and causes premature wear. this is the reason why people with big HP turbo'd street cars use a device called a turbo timer.

don't like wolwos

speed and/or horsepower have nothing to do with the turbos going. on our new volvos at my company the turbos go out at about 250k -300k. it's just the oil seals or chamber seals wearing out and failing. as long as the wastegate actuator is working properly and there is oil flowing over the journals, it doesn't matter if it's on a 50 or 500 hp motor.

if you want to extend the life of your turbo, let the truck idle for about a minute before shutting it off. it lets the turbo and the oil flowing through it cool down. if you cut it off immediately a crust of oil forms and causes premature wear. this is the reason why people with big HP turbo'd street cars use a device called a turbo timer.
I drive volvos over at Yellow and I think they're junk. I mean old and new. Do you like them?