ODFL | new trucks in the city

easttnhillbilly

TB Regular
Credits
I have been out a few weeks now and have seen alot of the 24577 and 275 trucks being used in the city and there old city trucks left parked seen several of the new trucks with bent farrings already at that rate they won't last long i was always told a truck newer than 2005 could not be in city unless they where out of trucks but you can tell alot of the 2000 to 2003 trucks are still siting after all the city guys go out especially in rto is this right for this to happen?

It should not be right. But unfortunately it depends on what mgmt will do to put their foot down. At our terminal we (line haul) are prohibited from driving anything less than a 2004. But a city driver can drive any truck. Have there been times when city drivers have taken road trucks and left road drivers sitting? Yes.

For one, I was told any truck older than 2004 only has 50,000 lb tags on the tractor. This prohibits road drivers from driving the older ones when the city drivers take all the newer trucks. Most loads a road driver takes will exceed the 50k tag limit. Also as you already said city driving can be much harder on trucks than out on the big road.

But on the other hand I feel kinda sorry for the city drivers. I know I would not want to see new Freightliners sitting there and then have to get in one of the old FLD's to do my deliveries.

seems about right the guys that run volume at night take the new ones and sometimes when i get in at 3:00 am all thats left are old ones and i have to wait for one of them to come back so i can make my run

I drrve a 99 every day.You have a valid point but,it is not just the city guys bending up the farings.Some of our road drivers scare me.At my term. the city drivers that drive the new trucks slipseat with linehaul.If we need a truck we don't get to pick it dispatch does.

that would be fine if they are out of trucks but when i was in rto last week almost all of there city guys took new trucks left there old ones parked two line haul sch. had to wait for a truck to come in out of the city this is also where i seen the bent farrings

here at phl they jus came and took all the trucks that were not being used for line haul from us and brought in some older freightliners.

managers need to act like they manage and tell the city drivers what is what.we had one get in trouble for taking a 24578 out before it was even in the system .it had been on the yard two days and he took it out the morning after the tags had been switched.i don't want to drive a truck that is not broken in.give me one that is a couple of years old but still has a working a/c.

atleast yall get to see some new trucks. we have been forgotten in tup. its been atleast two years since we have even got any trucks.

Alot of the bigger terminals are having the city drivers share trucks with night time linehaul turn guys.Now,for any others using new trucks in the city,I see no reason why they should.

in har we always run out of tractors we are not to take out new ones but when nothing else is there we have to, but we also have a couple of guys that only put 100 mile on a day if their lucky take new ones, but if I take one for my 350-400 mile city run I get told about it go figure

in har we always run out of tractors we are not to take out new ones but when nothing else is there we have to, but we also have a couple of guys that only put 100 mile on a day if their lucky take new ones, but if I take one for my 350-400 mile city run I get told about it go figure

dang thats a hell of a peddle are u out of HAR?