XPO | New trucks/trailer in xcw last night

"Safety advocacy groups" have convinced themselves that the only way a truck will be safe is if it's no more than a Sprinter van running 25mph. The Teamsters don't like the idea of bigger trailers because longer sets haul more freight and might consolidate LTL runs, which might make Teamsters have to do a different run, which would make them unhappy. OOIDA doesn't want 33's because longer sets haul more freight which might reduce demand for truckload service, which would make them unhappy. No word from either group on why anyone's happiness should be a factor in efforts to make trucking more efficient in the face of a severe and worsening driver shortage.
So why not pull double 53's? you should be tickled pink with those

So why not pull double 53's? you should be tickled pink with those
They actually do that here in Canada. Drivers get an endorsement some extra pay. The safety record of the LCV programs each province has are up to 99.7% versus the 60% record for standard tractor trailer combinations. They've only been in a handful of accidents in nearly a decade of the program running, and none were the fault of the LCV driver.

They actually do that here in Canada. Drivers get an endorsement some extra pay. The safety record of the LCV programs each province has are up to 99.7% versus the 60% record for standard tractor trailer combinations. They've only been in a handful of accidents in nearly a decade of the program running, and none were the fault of the LCV driver.

Might have something to do with a novice not daring to do it.

You have to be experienced or you can't get the endorsement. Minimum of 5 years and about 80,000mi with a clean record. They only allow the best to helm something that big.
Yep. In all the western provinces, it's 2 years verifiable experience, 150,000 road miles, and no medical conditions other than glasses to be eligible. Then it's a two day course, and an hour road test. Turnpikes, Rockies and triples.

I think they are only 96 inches inside width. 40x48 pallets sideways fit pretty snug and the plastic guards aren't 6 inches wide.

I used to measure the floor before I started loading it. Some are more snug than others. Hardly ever see the dock now. Don't know if I'd even remember what to do.

Not sure what area of the country you are in Ice, but in the Chicago metro area there area a ton of foreign owned logistics,and trucking company's with drivers who speak more their own language than English. I guarantee most bought their CDL, medical cards, have little insurance, and make probably 30 cents a mile driving those fancy Volvo, and Freightliner sleeper tractors. I see many of them daily loading LTL and TL shipments in my peddle area. Most of these drivers cannot get hired by US LTL companies because they cannot provide the background information needed. As long as these companies keep growing, it also affects our wages depending on the economy as to how much truck capacity is out there. I have always said, I never hear a customer complain to me that they cannot get their freight moved in or out because of the so called driver shortage. For the hours, job stress, road hazards, abuse by the public, shippers, consignees, hardship on family time, and physical demands on the driver, no one should be making less than $80,000 a year to make this an attractive profession. Just my observations after 40 years of this business.
I'd say $100,000 sounds more fair !

I don't think this guy does anything half ass I think he wants it to look nice. Not just slap a sticker on it.
Well said... my exact thoughts... Jacobs wants all of his equipment to represent his brand, "XPO LOGISTICS." to stand out, be noticed, and to look top shelf at the same time.

I agree with the Central Transport perception. But I always thought the Conway name had a good reputation. I said just slap a sticker on but a profession graphic job placing "A XPO COMPANY" in strategic locations could be just as effective. I just can't see rebranding actually getting you more business. You are either a Conway customer or your not. Just my opinion and I don't have a marketing degree. It just seems logical that just a name change won't get you more business.
Conway had a good reputation, was making money and was near the top in LTL. And for those very reasons, that is precisely why Mr. Jacobs wanted to acquire CNW. He himself stated in an interview that he "doesn't buy fixer uppers". As far as him going through all the expense and effort of rebranding his newly acquired assets, (Conway),... he is building a world wide brand w/ multiple service offering that extends way beyond what Conway was doing in order to cross sell his brand as a one stop shop that will increase his market share globally. He himself again said in an interview that he "can't have 15 brands, and that he has retired many good, respectable and profitable brands," in order to get where he wants to be... BIG and GLOBAL. Will this business strategy get him more business? Yup! I think it will. I have faith in him. Time will tell.

Conway had a good reputation, was making money and was near the top in LTL. And for those very reasons, that is precisely why Mr. Jacobs wanted to acquire CNW. He himself stated in an interview that he "doesn't buy fixer uppers". As far as him going through all the expense and effort of rebranding his newly acquired assets, (Conway),... he is building a world wide brand w/ multiple service offering that extends way beyond what Conway was doing in order to cross sell his brand as a one stop shop that will increase his market share globally. He himself again said in an interview that he "can't have 15 brands, and that he has retired many good, respectable and profitable brands," in order to get where he wants to be... BIG and GLOBAL. Will this business strategy get him more business? Yup! I think it will. I have faith in him. Time will tell.

It's day 10. I'm not getting all worked up. Wait and see. Nobody that wants to leave will leave until spring anyway.

Makes sense to me...

TkrLLIo.jpg
Just wondering again, has anybody had XPO branded equipment shown up at a re-ship or at your local barn for P&D???