SAIA | New trucks

nrpick

TB Lurker
Credits
O1bYcOr.jpg

Drove a new Volvo around southern Texas the last few days and I think I'll give it 2 thumbs up!

Buddy of mine out of the GRL terminal said he is going to get one but they have not put them into service yet. Said they have had them for almost 2 months and still have not been put into service. Said they have a few 13's and a bunch of internationals and older 04's and 05 volvos.

Yes Sir my daily driver is 05 with 1,335,000 plus miles.....it doesn't regen nor does it have software problems.

I had to drive an 05 with 1.4 million last night... what a P.O.S. it took forever to get up to speed, and than would slow down to 45 mph on the slightest hill. The 13 I usually drive would pull the same hill at 62.

I guess the old saying "if you want the big bucks you have to drive :crap: trucks" is true.

I run 580-600 miles a night across the Appalachian mountains in a 13 Volvo auto this is the best truck I've driven here other than the 02 and 03 models (I loved those trucks) I've got 264,000 on it and so far the only problems it has had are the vec sensor had to be replaced and the soot sensor on the regen system went bad . This truck runs the same whether you've got 4000 or 40,000 lbs on it and still gets 7-7.5 mpg the engine brake and transmission are awesome in the mountains I think these are the safest trucks the company has bought in a long time

I guess it is no coincidence that nobody is praising the internationals? I'm supposed to be driving an international, but it went for service and never came back. Too bad.

I guess it is no coincidence that nobody is praising the internationals? I'm supposed to be driving an international, but it went for service and never came back. Too bad.

I was told that they're getting rid of all internationals. Theres only a few left in DLS now.

I like how maneuverable the internationals are, which helps with dropping and hooking in cramped yards (cgo!!).. Overall they aren't bad, but the volvos beat them in just about every other category.

Yes the internationals blow, but they aren't getting rid of them any time soon as far as I can tell. My small terminal has 7 of them and only 3 Volvos. We also have 2-3 of the old junk Freightliners too.

I also hate driving the automatics. Don't really understand why the company is wasting money on things like this...

Automatics get better fuel economy than manuals, over the long term.
very true..

I was a die hard 10/13 speed guy..But I work local on the weekends and I drive a Peterbilt 587 with an Eaton auto 10..and I freaking love the darn truck..I get upset most weekends if i get put in a 10 speed..the shifts are near flawless, has power and it downshifts and applies the jake better than I ever could. Granted it's a flat land run for the most part the truck handles well..When I just started I always asked for the 10 speed, now, not so much.

You heard it hear first my prediction within the next 10 years in many applications standard shift trucks will be a shining artifact of the past (except for at GFS so if you want to come over and throw groceries with me you can drive a 10 speed in the city all day, Really an automatic in the city would be just fine with me.) We have twin screw Volvo's just like you guys do, but we don't have the automatic transmissions Eaton-Fuller 10 speeds and some Meritor 10 speeds in the older trucks.

Actually though it's not just you guys, Sysco Foods is also getting rid of all there standard shifts and replacing them with autos. Sysco Cleveland has 3 standard shift trucks left in the fleet and those are all, slated to be replaced. I guess there getting older and from what one of there drivers was telling me Sysco has just placed an order for 12 new trucks all automatics. It's the future it's technology it's what happens they type writer gave way to the computer and word processing software same as how music videos killed the radio star and reality TV killed music videos...:tongue new:

They are definitely different. I took my road test in one last week. I kept stomping the floorboards with my left foot and wanted to shake the shifter before turning the key.