SAIA | New Trucks

What other ltl's are you guys able to pass on the road? I wanna get a good idea of what I'm getting myself into...lol
If passing other LTLs is your major concern you might as well not waste your time. You are not what Saia is looking for and will not last long, the cameras will have you packing quick.

Who are you to tell me what the company is looking for? My question was to simply gauge who I am gonna have trouble passing going up hill etc. Years and years of driving with 0 accidents. The cameras ain't gonna see me doing nothing but holding the wheel, spittin tobacco and adjusting my junk every now and then.

If passing other LTLs is your major concern you might as well not waste your time. You are not what Saia is looking for and will not last long, the cameras will have you packing quick.

You commented on "Drive cam by Lytx" thread and basically said because of these cameras you were quitting and have another job.

Who's packing and ain't gonna last?

Me or you?

I am learning everything about this company before I apply and I will be able to adapt to the cameras and do my job.

Pick a lane, you seem confused as to what your views are.

Who are you to tell me what the company is looking for? My question was to simply gauge who I am gonna have trouble passing going up hill etc. Years and years of driving with 0 accidents. The cameras ain't gonna see me doing nothing but holding the wheel, spittin tobacco and adjusting my junk every now and then.
You are correct. I am nobody to be saying what Saia is looking for.

To answer your question, you will have trouble passing just about all the other LTLs. ABF and YRC are about the only ones you can get around in a reasonable amount of time.

You commented on "Drive cam by Lytx" thread and basically said because of these cameras you were quitting and have another job.

Who's packing and ain't gonna last?

Me or you?

I am learning everything about this company before I apply and I will be able to adapt to the cameras and do my job.

Pick a lane, you seem confused as to what your views are.
I am not confused at all. It is a big decision that I am going to need to make in the near future.

You did not read my post very well. I said because of the cameras it got me to looking around which I would not have been doing otherwise and found an opportunity that was too good to pass up. Doesn't mean I will take the opportunity mainly because it requires a substantial investment and Saia is a great company to work for.

Yes, I am considering leaving, but not because of the cameras, they just made me look around.
After driving the camera trucks and actually thinking about it I CAN see why they put them in. IMO it is to weed out the bad drivers, which every big company has some and to cover their ass.

I also noticed you posted in "Drivecam by Lytx" or "Hard facts at Saia" dont remember which,asking the same question. How fast do the trucks run, and who can I pass. In my experience in the past, interviewing drivers and hiring and unfortunately firing drivers those are the exact questions that wave a red flag to bad drivers. I am not calling you a bad driver, but you did ask the red flag questions so if the shoe fits.

Last edited:
Which will get you fired. No tobacco either.
Not true. Perhaps a coachable offense. No big deal but get caught on a handheld phone or without your seatbelt on and you could get the axe. Just more fear mongering brothers. Ignore it. There are different levels of severity and dipping isn't on the top of the list.

Not true. Perhaps a coachable offense. No big deal but get caught on a handheld phone or without your seatbelt on and you could get the axe. Just more fear mongering brothers. Ignore it. There are different levels of severity and dipping isn't on the top of the list.
Now of course if you were reaching for your can or spitting in your bottle and lost control of your set then you are history. But I can't see that happening with a seasoned veteran.

If the cameras made you look around and you found a job, you left because of the cameras. Look, I find it useless to argue at all, furthermore, over an online forum.

If it was up to me, I would have an outward facing camera and two on both mirrors. The inwards facing cameras where caused by "professional drivers" who feel it is perfectly fine to text and drive. They ruined it for all of us drivers with common sense that can have a conversation on the phone, have a snack and a drink all while driving our trucks safely. Not just truckers, but people in general lose all sense of awareness and peripheral vision when on their phones.

I understand why it would seem like I'm a supertrucker and want to blow everyone's door off, but really there was no ulterior motive to my question. I wanted to know who Saia can pass or not. It's not a dealbreaker if the trucks run at 65.

I wish you the best of luck in the future driver

Now of course if you were reaching for your can or spitting in your bottle and lost control of your set then you are history. But I can't see that happening with a seasoned veteran.

Easy fix for chewing tobacco in a Saia truck would be using a big plastic cup instead of a bottle, eliminate having to unscrew and screw the bottle when spitting.

I was under the impression that the cameras only recorded the previous 7 seconds and 7 seconds after they were triggered by an event. Is this not true? The inward facing cameras can record and be viewed at all times?

Doesn't the handbook say no tobbacco use in or on company property?

Some call it fear mongering some call it reading the employee manual. Unless your saying the company selectively enforces their policies. But I'm sure your right. You always are. Us smokers will love to hear this.
Like anything it's at the companies discretion IMO. If your a good worker and don't cause trouble and you haven't previously been warned you would probably just be coached. Can't be 100% correct though. Just my opinion. However if your a trouble maker and have been warned previously you could be history. Just speculating of course. Can't say the company selectively enforces policy's. Don't know for sure but you are free to call HR and ask. I will say the company has the right to run the company the way they want to. So that would include the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation. A case by case method would seem to be the proper course of action. However if safety was compromised then it wouldn't look good. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the cameras only recorded the previous 7 seconds and 7 seconds after they were triggered by an event. Is this not true? The inward facing cameras can record and be viewed at all times?

8 seconds before and 4 seconds after the event. The cameras aren't that bad you just gotta drive like you've go some sense I've put 18000 miles on an 18 Volvo and have zero videos even with having to lock it down when I got cut off the other night I set every light and buzzer on the truck off and apparently lytx agreed with the way I handled it. And yes everything is working properly because the city driver I share with has already got 8 videos most of them for following too close

I sure wish they would enforce the tobacco policy better around here. Too many times I have to get in a truck and it smells like an ashtray or a spitoon.

This may be off topic but a friend of mine was just fired from Saia for putting a scratch on the front bumper of one of those said new trucks.He was at the fuel island at his Terminal in dallas.The truck rolled a lil and I guess it caught the fuel island concrete stopper.So this driver tried to call his superiors because this happened over the weekend no dispatchers or any administrators were available.So he contacted his company as soon as possible which was Monday morning early.They fired him because he failed to notify anyone of the incident.Again nobody was there over the weekend and he submitted his calling logs as evidence that he tried to call several times.Plus whoever was at the review panel did not show his calling logs to whomever you're supposed to turn over all evidence to.What can he do?He liked working at Saia

This may be off topic but a friend of mine was just fired from Saia for putting a scratch on the front bumper of one of those said new trucks.He was at the fuel island at his Terminal in dallas.The truck rolled a lil and I guess it caught the fuel island concrete stopper.So this driver tried to call his superiors because this happened over the weekend no dispatchers or any administrators were available.So he contacted his company as soon as possible which was Monday morning early.They fired him because he failed to notify anyone of the incident.Again nobody was there over the weekend and he submitted his calling logs as evidence that he tried to call several times.Plus whoever was at the review panel did not show his calling logs to whomever you're supposed to turn over all evidence to.What can he do?He liked working at Saia

Should have called the phone number on the back of his employee badge. There is a safety person on call 24-7.