ABF | New Vacation Policy at ABF

Unpaid days off benefits are not paid. But somehow the companies come up with a figure of like $250 per day when a worker takes off. :shrug:

Unpaid days off cannot work due to the fact the unpaid employee still has to be replaced with a paid employee. There aren't any cost savings for the company. Wages for the replacement employee along with HW&P for both employees unless the company would be allowed not to pay for the unpaid employee.
So what your saying is if someone's on vacation on any given week you go out and replace that person for that week? Not in my barn. They make due with what they have. So again they only let 10% of the workforce go on vacation per week. So if you have two people getting paid or one person getting or no one getting paid whats the difference? Your still not going over the compliment of 10% or what ever your allowable percentage is. With all due respect,I'm having a hard time understanding your logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I applied for ABF in March of 2013. I turned the job down due to the uncertainty of the contract at the time, and went to hauling gas instead. I have 2 weeks of vacation, sick days, and a set schedule. I still follow you guys at ABF, but I would never leave my current job for your current vacation schedule… Now the bad thing for me and hauling gas is I work sat-wed, so I use most of my vacation days just so I can take a sat or a sun off to have a "normal" life some times. For ABF to get new applicants/employees, going to need new vacation rules, and/or a lot higher pay which would make the lack of vacation not so hard (IMO).

thanks for coming onto the boards for comments. i do not think you will see too many new drivers coming to A.B.F. The loss of a weeks vacation was a bad move ( i hear it was a teamster deal, not the company). Good luck getting new blood here. The company seems to be wanting to work people 12-14 hrs. a day and telling you that a 16hr. day is ok as long as you are not driving. Looks like they are not really caring about family time. This industry has gone downhill and anyone trying to get into it is foolish i.m.o. As of what i see right now.... i would not recommend anyone to apply here.

YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO WORK ONE 16 HOUR DAY A WEEK THAT IS DOT RULES THE COMPANY IS WRONG. READ PAGE 7 16 HOUR RULE. YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO WORK 14 HOURS A DAY NO MORE. CITY DRIVER ARE 60 HOURS IN 5 DAYS.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

Unpaid days off cannot work due to the fact the unpaid employee still has to be replaced with a paid employee. There aren't any cost savings for the company. Wages for the replacement employee along with HW&P for both employees unless the company would be allowed not to pay for the unpaid employee.
So what your saying is if someone's on vacation on any given week you go out and replace that person for that week? Not in my barn. They make due with what they have. So again they only let 10% of the workforce go on vacation per week. So if you have two people getting paid or one person getting or no one getting paid whats the difference? Your still not going over the compliment of 10% or what ever your allowable percentage is. With all due respect,I'm having a hard time understanding your logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

What I am saying is how it works at this terminal. Management has every intention in mind to replace absent employees with the exception of declining business levels, which if all employees were working there would more than likely be employees laid off. In the last 2 years there have been 0 layoffs. Partly in due because of the business levels and not being able to replace retiring drivers. There was an October '13 retirement and he is yet to be replaced. Not for lacking of trying believe me.
There have been numerous men hired and worked but for one reason or another they abandoned the job. For the most part, they were drivers hired to work the dock but do not like working the dock due to having to pay their dues.

What you have to remember, is that the 2 weeks after 8 years of service will not come into play with the current contract. Who knows what the next contract will bring for all involved.
I do know that corporate is aware of this issue bit do not know if changes will be made.

You are correct changes could come, but I know from personal experience, in the union ,that getting anything back is next to impossible

You are correct, no one wants to give up what they have but having a healthy and financially strong company in 5 years could mean better things to come for everyone.

Whats up with Larry Watts in greenville sc terminal I have friends of mine plus myself who had applied at terminal and he hasn't hired anyone yet and the hiring sign stays out front?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Truxforever, the DOT rules only apply to drivers. Not people who work on the dock, on the yard, in the shop, in the office, etc. You are trying to apply a rule for a specific category to all categories. And just because a person has a CDL does not mean the DOT rules apply to them. Or does anyone think that a dispatcher with a CDL, who does not drive, must abide by all the rules we have?

Whats up with Larry Watts in greenville sc terminal I have friends of mine plus myself who had applied at terminal and he hasn't hired anyone yet and the hiring sign stays out front?

I would suggest stopping to speak to Larry to see if he truly has a need for drivers. Some terminals are always taking applications and trying to find qualified personnel regardless of the need as a just in case business levels increase.

60% rule!! After working 60% of the 2 years you can take a vacation... 282 days or road trips worked... for the first 2 years for a new hire, then 188 days per anniversary year thereafter..

Did you get called in for an interview or nothing at all? If you were called in for an interview and didn't hear after that I'd say the interview didn't go well. And how much time has lapsed since you put the apps in?

Truxforever, the DOT rules only apply to drivers. Not people who work on the dock, on the yard, in the shop, in the office, etc. You are trying to apply a rule for a specific category to all categories. And just because a person has a CDL does not mean the DOT rules apply to them. Or does anyone think that a dispatcher with a CDL, who does not drive, must abide by all the rules we have?

Homesick we are talking about city drivers being forced to work 15, 16 hours everyday. I know the rules only apply to city drivers, road drivers and nobody else.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're being allowed to take a weeks vacation unpaid or use of sick days or P.H.'s as long as it meets the 10 percent rule of the contract. Start a vacation fund by throwing a couple bucks in a jar every week and by the time vacation rolls around you'll have a few bucks and it won't hurt as much. I know it sucks but it's a alternative for lossing a weeks vacation!

Down here in the Southern Region that would not work because of Article 43, Section 2. which basically say's that any leave of absence must be agreed to between the company and the union and that the employer must collect from said employee all monies required to cover the Pension and H/W contributions for this leave of absence. Also, in the south you must work at least three day's in said work week for full insurance benefits for that week.

Down here in the Southern Region that would not work because of Article 43, Section 2. which basically say's that any leave of absence must be agreed to between the company and the union and that the employer must collect from said employee all monies required to cover the Pension and H/W contributions for this leave of absence. Also, in the south you must work at least three day's in said work week for full insurance benefits for that week.
That's why most guys including myself are going to use sick days or P.H. To get the credits for that week. That same 3 day gets you 40 applies in our region too! Keep in mind that they are not required to make contributions on vacations broken up into days!

Have you seen a case where h'+w was not paid on split-week vacation days Akita? I think that would be something new in Chicago and if it's true, that news needs to get out there before vacation season starts. Thanks

they have to pay split weeks. all paid days are paid.. and considered a day worked.. 1 day worked a week is payed into S plan or higher deductible plans no psych or chiropractic or retirement til 3 days or 4 in some regions. know benefits fellers...