Alan Thon

Call me....Blinker
Credits
Hey y'all,

I'm new to this forum, and new to driving a truck. I will be graduating in 2 weeks from a CDL program at Elgin Community College, in Illinois. I am hoping to go OTR. I am looking for advice on trucking companies. I have a few in mind from meeting recruiters that have come to my school, but I don't really know who is the best choice. Could you give me your honest opinions on which are good and bad to work for?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

welcome to the site.

in regards to who is the best, who is the worst, is objectionable.

everyone needs to get started, somewhere, someplace.

what you need to know, realize and remember is that recruiters are nothing more than head hunters or sales people, working on a commision basis most times.

they will ALL try and sell you a bill of goods.

just weed thru the rhetoric (assume it is ALL rhetoric) and choose one. do your time, like at least 1 full year, and if unhappy, leave.

best of luck to you.

Hey y'all,

I'm new to this forum, and new to driving a truck. I will be graduating in 2 weeks from a CDL program at Elgin Community College, in Illinois. I am hoping to go OTR. I am looking for advice on trucking companies. I have a few in mind from meeting recruiters that have come to my school, but I don't really know who is the best choice. Could you give me your honest opinions on which are good and bad to work for?

Thanks in advance,

Alan
Which companies have talked to you?
Schneider?
Werner?
CRST?
Swift?
If you could start out more local,until you feel comfortable, that is what I would do, and not just jump on with a truckload, long haul carrier. Over the road can be a real eye opener to someone without knowledge of how things work

I've met with Schneider, Frito Lay, Werner, Maverick, Crete, Roehl, Boyd Brothers, XPO, Nestle, and Gypsum Express. My top choices would be tied for 1st Gypsum Express & Werner, 2nd Nestle, and a strong 3rd Maverick. I've ruled out Crete and Roehl. I'm considering Frito Lay and possibly XPO.

I've worked docks and warehouses for years. I've always wanted to be a trucker. My wife was a dispatcher for Vitran Express, and I have been talking to drivers at the truckstops a few miles from my house. I still have a lot to learn though.

pro1driver...

Who do you drive for?
What do you pull, flatbed, dry van, reefer, doubles, tanker?
How long have you been driving?
Do you drive linehaul, p&d, dedicated, or what?

pro1driver...

Who do you drive for?
What do you pull, flatbed, dry van, reefer, doubles, tanker?
How long have you been driving?
Do you drive linehaul, p&d, dedicated, or what?
i no longer drive...

http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/career-ending-operation.58735/

but i did a wide range of driving when i did.

little bit of flatbedding, tanker, doubles (pups), reefers and then mostly dry van

i ran long haul as it was once known, now it is known as OTR.

i also taught at 2 CDL schools over the years.

i liked(preferred) night time driving to day time.

in the final years, i worked dedicated.

my time in this industry was nearing 35 years.

I'm sorry. I had seen the thread, but hadn't read it. I feel for you, back pain just plain sucks. I suffered a L4/L5 disc injury years ago, and a car accident caused a pinched nerve in my C-spine.

I've met with Schneider, Frito Lay, Werner, Maverick, Crete, Roehl, Boyd Brothers, XPO, Nestle, and Gypsum Express. My top choices would be tied for 1st Gypsum Express & Werner, 2nd Nestle, and a strong 3rd Maverick. I've ruled out Crete and Roehl. I'm considering Frito Lay and possibly XPO.

I've worked docks and warehouses for years. I've always wanted to be a trucker. My wife was a dispatcher for Vitran Express, and I have been talking to drivers at the truckstops a few miles from my house. I still have a lot to learn though.

What do you want to do? Local home everyday or home once a week or twice a month? Do you need money? PRIME or Landstar is a good one for owner operators

What do you want to do? Local home everyday or home once a week or twice a month? Do you need money? PRIME or Landstar is a good one for owner operators

Long haul...I don't need to be home daily, or weekly. My wife and I are strong at home, so the time apart won't be a problem. I need money, but that's not my first priority. I can't afford being an owner operator at this point. I don't mind being just a driver. I've heard some good things about Prime, maybe I'll look them up.

A friend went to Prime penniless and became a owner operator, but remember don't do a upgrade when time for a new truck. He kept his and once his contract was done , he left and went to Landstar and is making around $900 per day doing a dedicated run with a broker. He has bills like insurance, tires, oil changes, food, etc.....

“My wife was a dispatcher for Vitran Express”.

And yet you still want to be a truck driver?!?!?!?

Long haul...I don't need to be home daily, or weekly. My wife and I are strong at home, so the time apart won't be a problem. I need money, but that's not my first priority. I can't afford being an owner operator at this point. I don't mind being just a driver. I've heard some good things about Prime, maybe I'll look them up.
If you decide to go truckload, long haul, and need money, do 2 other things first. Get a divorce, and buy a microwave for your truck if it does not already have one so you can eat a lot cheaper on the road. And make sure you seat belt your cooler into the other seat. If not, it will make a hell of a mess when you hit the brakes hard, and it hits the floor....

If you decide to go truckload, long haul, and need money, do 2 other things first. Get a divorce, and buy a microwave for your truck if it does not already have one so you can eat a lot cheaper on the road. And make sure you seat belt your cooler into the other seat. If not, it will make a hell of a mess when you hit the brakes hard, and it hits the floor....
Believe the bagger he has firsthand experience. See here!

9WjIZmR.jpg