Averitt | Next Chapter

Good luck lifer, you made a move I've been debating within myself over for some time. I've spoken with a couple of other LTL/city operations and they are crying for drivers. Those companies I've talked to pay more when topped out than I'm making here, but they all have their pros and cons. When they TRULY get serious about hiring experienced drivers they won't expect a man to take a pay cut for 2-3 years to move, go to the bottom of the board, and start over somewhere else. That's what I'm finding when looking to do p & d at other places

The industry, as a whole, has not come to the realization yet that paying peanuts to an experienced driver when that driver has HUGE responsibilities while on the road is what has caused this driver shortage. When I was 19 years old, it was quite simple to become a driver. Today it is a screaming pain in the ass in addition to being over-regulated and costly on the front end. Who in their right mind would ever pick such a profession with the hassles involved for chicken-sh*t pay. If I were 19 today, I would find something else entirely and most of the younger generation feels that way. There's your shortage problem.
The job I mentioned that I took lasted one day. I quickly realized that the pay I would be getting for the job I would be doing was ridiculous and I promptly resigned. I'm worth more than that and will NOT work anywhere unless the pay is right. Yes, I could start at one of Averitt's competitors tomorrow but after 40 years in the LTL industry, it sickens me to even ponder working and doing the same crap I put up with at Averitt. SO, until I find what I want, I'll just take it easy and enjoy life.

The industry, as a whole, has not come to the realization yet that paying peanuts to an experienced driver when that driver has HUGE responsibilities while on the road is what has caused this driver shortage. When I was 19 years old, it was quite simple to become a driver. Today it is a screaming pain in the ass in addition to being over-regulated and costly on the front end. Who in their right mind would ever pick such a profession with the hassles involved for chicken-sh*t pay. If I were 19 today, I would find something else entirely and most of the younger generation feels that way. There's your shortage problem.
The job I mentioned that I took lasted one day. I quickly realized that the pay I would be getting for the job I would be doing was ridiculous and I promptly resigned. I'm worth more than that and will NOT work anywhere unless the pay is right. Yes, I could start at one of Averitt's competitors tomorrow but after 40 years in the LTL industry, it sickens me to even ponder working and doing the same crap I put up with at Averitt. SO, until I find what I want, I'll just take it easy and enjoy life.

OD starts out above "start pay" with experience start out at mid pay will not start out at bottom pay. But talk to guys that are happy Averitt drivers. So whatever works for that driver I'm happy for them.

OD starts out above "start pay" with experience start out at mid pay will not start out at bottom pay. But talk to guys that are happy Averitt drivers. So whatever works for that driver I'm happy for them.
After 40 years in the LTL side of trucking, I want to stay away from LTL carriers. I know many people at OD and could start there next week but its the same BS. Only difference is truck color and terminal address and a couple more pennies per mile.
I don't want or desire a 40 mile each way commute and I don't want running nights (been there and done all of that).
I've found a day job that's no touch, drop and hook running local within 200 miles, home every night. Its located 5 miles from my house. Is the pay great? Not really. But it has benefits and I don't owe anybody anything so for the next 4-5 years, and I retire for good from trucking, this job is going to be perfect for me.
LTL was good to me for 40 years but I've had a gut full of it. I've been looking for the right job for over 2 months since I left Averitt and none of that search involved the LTL carriers . The thought of that meat-grinder anymore just makes me sick.

Tell me about the stories we hear up here of driving for the oil fields in Texas and making 3-4K a week, enough for guys around here to leave their families and work out there for a while. Truth or urban legend?

If the oil prices were not down, you are right. However with many oil companies laying off massive amounts of people, I wouldn't pack my bags just yet. It is, however, dirty work.
When the Eagle Ford Shale area https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/ne...unts-down-completions-up-in-the-eagle-ford-s/ started being fracked, the entire San Antonio staff of AAA Cooper walked out and went to work in the oilfield (true story).
Everything in this desolate area is needed. Restaurants, housing, motels, etc. It's dirty hot work but there is money to be made. http://jobs.eaglefordshale.com/

Thanks for the inside knowledge. The info I found out about OD was from OD drivers and I know how that goes but they mentioned a significant pay cut to start, either way a pay cut is tough to swallow, especially when experienced, accident free and bring a good work history, keep the starting pay for those new to the industry that may take take the roof off with a low underpass or that you have to train. If a guy can hook a load and hit the ground running why should he start at bottom pay with the guy who is on his first day in p&d? He doesn't have to prove himself, his prior experience already has.

Good for you LTL....I've come to the point that I can no longer put up with all the crap involved with driving a truck. At the end of this year I'm done for good....if things here at AVRT on the T/L side do not get any better.....I'll just walk...I'm to the point of this just being a week to week job. The day I cleanout the truck...I'll NEVER get back into another one!

Good for you LTL....I've come to the point that I can no longer put up with all the crap involved with driving a truck. At the end of this year I'm done for good....if things here at AVRT on the T/L side do not get any better.....I'll just walk...I'm to the point of this just being a week to week job. The day I cleanout the truck...I'll NEVER get back into another one!
Averitt is the training pants for the industry. Lie you, I am sick of trucking.