Next step!

Mark

TB Lurker
Credits
After applying numerous times I finally got the call for an interview. I've been applying for all DC's that are within about a six hour drive from my home. I got lucky and will interview with the one that's closest. I am truly thrilled that I have made it to this point.

Reading the threads from Lost boy, FirefighterDoug and PinOak has given my some useful information and I congratulate them for making it in.

Being offered an interview is a very big deal and you should be proud. When I applied they recieved over 600 applications and only 20 were invited to move on to interview for 10 positions. I am sure your DC of choice is no different and may well have had more than 600 applicants either way strong work but the real job is nailing that interview. You need to be prepared it might be your only chance so do not take it lightly. When is your interview and what have you done to prepare?

Does Wal-Mart still take the paper app that we had to receive in the mail and fill out or do we have to do in online only now?

My interview is on May 25th. I feel very fortunate that I've been offered to interview. I don't know what else I can do to really prepare except to be myself and be truthful. I've been with my current employer for 13.5 years so I'm sure to be a little rusty on my interview skills. If I do get the opportunity to road test that should be no problem except I've been driving an automatic for four years now. I may look like a rookie just starting out. LOL!

Primo, the application process is done through the website now. I'm wondering if they went to that to streamline the process. It's a lot easier to have the computers pull only the apps that meet their criteria rather than having a human sit and go through them all. I'm not sure but it makes sense to me.

You may want to anticipate some questions they might ask you in the interview. You can get tripped up by not being prepared how to answer a difficult question...Go to google, and type in "interview questions" I can tell you from experience with my Wal Mart interview, I would not have been offered the job, had I not anticipated some questions, and practiced my delivery of the answers... If you don't prepare, and you get asked a question that you are not prepared for, you will not answer it as good, as if would have anticipated the questions...They will hire only "Top Notch" drivers, and you must present yourself VERY WELL...
My interview is on May 25th. I feel very fortunate that I've been offered to interview. I don't know what else I can do to really prepare except to be myself and be truthful. I've been with my current employer for 13.5 years so I'm sure to be a little rusty on my interview skills. If I do get the opportunity to road test that should be no problem except I've been driving an automatic for four years now. I may look like a rookie just starting out. LOL!

Thanks, Pin Oak! I will take your advice and do that. I will spend tomorrow evening and Tuesday studying up.

I would not usually share interview advice on the open forum but in this case its only going to help the very few that have made it past the screening process. First and most importantly you need to use the word safety as often as you can during the interview its the number one thing at Wal Mart and you need to show that its number one for you. Culture is also very important and you need to show that you will be a good fit at Wal Mart. Show that your interested in Wal Mat as a company and that you agree with their mission which in a nutshell is "making peoples lives better by offering a good selection of what they want at a price they can afford". Showing that you provide excellent customer service is also very important, remember everyone you come in contact with is your customer this includes your fellow associates and anyone else you interact with while doing your job. Integrity is another big thing and you need to show you practice it in all areas of your life even when no one is watching.

Your best chance to knock it out of the park is when you make your closing statement,this is where you need to wrap it up into a nice little package and lay it on the table. Sell yourself and show you have worked hard to get to this point and that you are what Wal Mart is looking for. Your closing statement should be prepared and not done on the fly because you could ramble and that's not good. At the end thank each associate for taking the time to get to know you and that you hope you have shown that you have what it take to be one of the best.

If you make it to the road test be sure to remember you basics GOAL,city horn before backing,obey every speed limit including ramps and city streets,stop short of your warning line at intersections,keep two hands on the wheel at ALL times. Have fun and good luck!

Hey Mark. Congradulations on getting a interview.You must already have all the basic qualifications or they wouldn't have called you in.

Don't stress out to much about the interview just keep a positive attitude and use your expieriance to guide you through.

As you have already said "BE HONEST", integrity is very important at Walmart.

I wish you the best of luck!!!:icon_dance::icon_dance::icon_dance:

Thank you all for the great advice. I do greatly appreciate it all. I'm now at my hotel trying to get prepared since I really haven't had time to due to work. The morning is going to come way too soon. I'm going to try not to break-a-leg. LOL!

Aside from being EXTREMELY nervous and stammering for words at times I think they could see I am genuine. They said it's ok to be nervous. I sure hope so. I did do a pretrip and road test as well. I had four points deducted total, two of which were from not practicing GOAL. I know I was told to GOAL by several people but when in the midst of setting up I clearly saw that it was clear. I had a brainfart at that particular moment. It's amazing how fast a brainfart can really screw things up. ALL in all I think I did a good job. I did see they had three more interviews and road tests today.

I don't think that I've ever been to a company where everybody was so nice. I could get used to that very quickly.

Thanks again to all of you that gave me advice. Now comes the waiting game.

Does anybody have any idea how long it usually takes to receive some kind of notice from Walmart for intent to hire?

Good job on making it through the interview and getting your road test. I had a call back the next day to come back in, during that meeting I was made a job offer which was contingent upon me passing the DOT physical and drug screen. After they make you an offer you will fill out more paperwork for a back round check then head down to the clinic for your DOT physical and drug screen if that goes well you should hear back within a couple of days depending on how fast Bentonville is processing paperwork. Let me give you a little advice on filling out your background paperwork, you must be honest and make sure everything is in order. We had one guy that was eliminated right before orientation because of false statements somewhere in his application that were picked up during his background check. If your dirty or plan on falsifying any part of the background paperwork don't bother because they will find out. Remember the word integrity it goes a long way here and one or two minor "issues" will not necessarily mean your done. You have made it this far because the like you and think your a good fit so just be honest and you will be fine.

I drove down to CA had my interview on Monday a call back on Tuesday and was headed back to WA with my offer on Friday. I received a call on Wednesday of the next week letting me know I was cleared to start orientation. Be patient, your DC may be a little slower at getting things done but you are very close and you should hear something soon. I can tell you that a there were several people out of the twenty that interviewed with me that did not pass the road test so if you passed I would think its only a matter of time once again be patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody have any idea how long it usually takes to receive some kind of notice from Walmart for intent to hire?

I can only speak from my own experiance. After my initial interview and road test it was about three day's before they called me back for the second interview/ drug screen and physical. at that time they made me a "contingent job offer" being contingent on the results of my tests and background check.

The timing may be different in your case depending on were they are at in the interviewing cycle.

Once again, good luck to you Mark.

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been on here for a while to respond. Work and the honey-do list at home has been taking up my time. I didn't get hired for Walmart at this time. Yeah I'm bummed about it but I'm not going to give up. I will keep applying and maybe one day get my foot in the door and my butt in the drivers seat. I'm just telling myself that it wasn't meant to be yet. I wish I could know the reason though.

I would like to thank all of you for the support you have given me through the whole process.