Central Transport | Nik-Picking write ups

At my barn this morning a dockworker got a verbal warning for driving his forklift too slow. So much for driving at a safe speed.

If that dock worker had read the pit test he would have had ammunition for the verbal, the test I took one of the questions asked what is the fastest safe speed for a pit and as far as I know the correct answer was no faster than a brisk walking speed, which I don't know about anyone else but to me that means 5 mph or less.

If that dock worker had read the pit test he would have had ammunition for the verbal, the test I took one of the questions asked what is the fastest safe speed for a pit and as far as I know the correct answer was no faster than a brisk walking speed, which I don't know about anyone else but to me that means 5 mph or less.

I guess that it was several dockworkers who got the verbal warning. Just wondering if OSHA requires an operators permit for forklifts for Vitran.

i do believe you need certification to drive a forklift. you also need a class a cdl to be a switcher as well, does'nt matter if it's private property or not.

vitran requires certification,,, all our dock and drivers took the test

I asked one of the dockworkers and he said that he took the test. They apparently want everyone to take it, though I have not been asked or told to take it. I rarely get on a hi-lo. Only if I go out , then come back because I could not make the delivery and it is blocking. I hear the new asst. TM told one guy that his numbers were down and he should drive as fast as the hilo is governed to run. He refused and reported it to safety, which called and spoke with the TM about hi-lo's running no faster than at a brisk walk.:fan:

As long as you email them why you are unable to make the pickup they don't mess with us. But forget that and you will be written up every time.

he prob got dispatched at 4 pm for a 3 pm closer or it was sent to him when he was enroute somewhere. lol. from what i've been hearing, detroit is a disaster to begin with.

This evening one of the P&D drivers told me that he got an email from dispatch about not placing the wheel chock up on the dock as required. He was not sure if he is getting written up or if it was a friendly warning.

If you ask me the dock workers are the ones who need to be nit picked at. Saw a guy drop a box off a skid, he looked af it and kept going. 15 mins later it was still there. reported it the dock supervisor and he seemed almost offended that i even asked him to do his job. OSD issues are horrific and embarrassing. Another thing UPS has and other various warehouses is accountability & they also don't pay their dock workers chump change.

Drivers need yard supervisors. Someone to be in the yard to see who does post/pretrips etc. The super could work with the lazy drivers and hold their hand for a week or two and then start writting them up.

As simple as all the things we do are still many drivers are too lazy to do the job or do not know how.

It is amazing how many drivers how no idea what is under the trailer.

A driver was pre tripping under the trailer last week and another driver walked up with a puzzled look on his face and ask, "what are you looking at?" He did the to another driver too. LMAO!

This evening one of the P&D drivers told me that he got an email from dispatch about not placing the wheel chock up on the dock as required. He was not sure if he is getting written up or if it was a friendly warning.

Sure enough, the driver got his write up this evening along with another driver for not putting the wheel chock up on the dock before he pulled out. He did remember to chain and cone the door. It really helps the morale by getting BS write ups. The TM said that the paperwork does not go to corporate. That's probably a crock of s*** too.

An injury this am at our barn brought the ambulance for a driver. It seems another driver was having problems with the crank of his dolly and asked another driver for help. The helper used 2 hands to put pressure on the stuck crank and either slipped or released the handle which had spring tension in it. it clocked him on top of his head causing massive bleeding. He ended up getting 16 staples and a bunch of stitches. ouch